Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post
    After reading this thread, I'm going to give this a shot. I'm a 6-year Sprint user. My Pre3 is on the way and I'll be ordering an AT&T SIM from Straight Talk today.
    You're going to love it! The Pre3 is way better than the Sprint Pre-
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Seriously? Here in The Netherlands it takes 1 month to port a number (literally 1 month).
    1 month is a long time.
    I thought Europe is ahead of USA :-)
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDCONTRA View Post
    I am stil on sprint (without a contract) just upgraded my pre- to a frankenpre. I would love to get on ST on a pre 3. how much are they? and whats the easiest way or where to get one???
    They are anywhere between $ 300.00 and $ 380.00.
    Ebay is the place to go.
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ironclad359 View Post
    Sorry for the delay, I've been moving to a new place and haven't had much internet access/time lately lol. I use the ondemand profile. It scales the processor speed down whenever the phone isn't in use. One thing to note is that my Pre 3 initially did not scale at all, it was running at full speed 24/7, which was KILLER on battery life. I had to make a custom ondemand profile and THEN the default ondemand profile scaled properly. You'll have to run Govnah and let your screen time out once or twice to see if the CPU scales down to 122Mhz when the screen is off.
    Thanks , I just did that. The battery still drains in four hours. One thing I noticed turning Wifi on is killing the battery , not sure why. Shouldn't it be the opposite , Wifi helps save battery better than the cellular connection ?.

Overall the phone is great except for the battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Thanks , I just did that. The battery still drains in four hours. One thing I noticed turning Wifi on is killing the battery , not sure why. Shouldn't it be the opposite , Wifi helps save battery better than the cellular connection ?.

Overall the phone is great except for the battery.
    That seems unusual. What sort of drain on your battery do you see in Govnah? With my current settings, my battery current is about -260 when active and -30 in standby (with WiFi on). Without WiFi, it's more like -440 when active.
    They are anywhere between $ 300.00 and $ 380.00.
    Ebay is the place to go.
    Got mine for $180 on eBay :-)
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    That seems unusual. What sort of drain on your battery do you see in Govnah? With my current settings, my battery current is about -260 when active and -30 in standby (with WiFi on). Without WiFi, it's more like -440 when active.
    I could not test without wifi today , but my numbers are like -440 when active and -150 when in standby.
    I noticed the wifi is eating up some resources. I will try to check today when I am at my home WiFi.
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Got mine for $180 on eBay :-)
    I bought for 199 in November 2011. Now the rates have gone up.
    so Im using a FrankenPre2 with 2.2.4 on Sprint. I have a SERO Premium 500 plan and only pay $45 for unlimited everything except 500 mins for landlines only.

I use Sprint Telenav Navigation heavily and also tether and use about 5 GB a month, a couple times went up to 7 GB. Other than the better hardware, and talk+browse, is there any benefit to go Straight talk? Is there a data cap? can I use ATT Navigator for free? Thanks
    Last edited by neit_jnf; 03/29/2012 at 11:04 PM.
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
    Quote Originally Posted by neit_jnf View Post
    so Im using a FrankenPre2 with 2.2.4 on Sprint. I have a SERO Premium 500 plan and only pay $45 for unlimited everything except 500 mins for landlines only.

I use Sprint Telenav Navigation heavily, can I use ATT Navigator for free also? I also tether and use about 5 GB a month, a couple times went up to 7 GB. Other than the better hardware, and talk+browse, is there any benefit to go Straight talk? Is there a data cap? Thanks
    $45 on Sprint for unlimited? What is this SERO Premium plan?
    I have been with Sprint and the original Pre since the day it was released. In addition I have a Google Voice number which is integrated with my Sprint voice mail. I would like to stay with WebOS and therefore the only solution seems to be an unlocked Pre3 available on ebay and Straight Talk with an ATT (non micro) SIM card. Can someone confirm for me that I can port my existing Sprint number to Straight Talk and continue to use my Google voice number once I switch to a Pre3 and an ATT SIM card?
    Thanks. This has got me excited to be able to stay with webOS, the BEST OS!

Edit: I also spend time in France. Will I be able to use my Straight Talk plan in France?
    Last edited by BillP3393; 03/30/2012 at 07:03 AM. Reason: add France
    Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by neit_jnf View Post

I use Sprint Telenav Navigation heavily and also tether and use about 5 GB a month, a couple times went up to 7 GB. Other than the better hardware, and talk+browse, is there any benefit to go Straight talk? Is there a data cap? can I use ATT Navigator for free? Thanks
    I've heard rumors of a 2GB data cap, but I haven't even come close to that. I have WiFi on most of the time and use less than 200MB/month of actual carrier data. You will eventually lose Your TeleNav access, though you can pay TeleNav for it directly if you want. The speed on Straight Talk is definitely faster. On Sprint, I was getting about 200-300kbps. On StraightTalk, around 1500-2000kbps in the same area. It's also prepaid, so no contract. If you buy a year's worth of minutes, it's more like $41.50/month, though you do have to pay tax It's cheaper if you buy it from Walmart.com instead of StraightTalk.com for some reason.
    I recently moved from a FrankenPre2 on sprint to a Veer on ST. Speeds are H+ for me all the way up to 5mb (bye bye sprint) I've tethered many times....I just wouldn't push it. The only thing I have any trouble with is hit or miss MMS.
    You will eventually lose Your TeleNav access
    What does that mean?
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BillP3393 View Post
    I have been with Sprint and the original Pre since the day it was released. In addition I have a Google Voice number which is integrated with my Sprint voice mail. I would like to stay with WebOS and therefore the only solution seems to be an unlocked Pre3 available on ebay and Straight Talk with an ATT (non micro) SIM card. Can someone confirm for me that I can port my existing Sprint number to Straight Talk and continue to use my Google voice number once I switch to a Pre3 and an ATT SIM card?

Edit: I also spend time in France. Will I be able to use my Straight Talk plan in France?
    Not sure about France, but I ported my number from Sprint to Straight Talk , no problems. It took few hours.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    1 month is a long time.
    I thought Europe is ahead of USA :-)
    Europe is indeed ahead of USA, but only between 5 and 9 hours depending on the time of the year :-)
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
    Woohoo! Unfrankenpre'd back to the GSM radio. Activated with my original number, and all is up and running! It only took 2 hours for the switch to occur from the web site. The only thing I think I'll miss terribly is sprint nav, but with telenav coming up with an html5 solution, that may not be a big deal soon. I downgraded to 2.1 in the hopes that the bluetooth retardation that came with 2.2.4 goes away.
    : (){:|:&};:
    mauro1 likes this.
    Apparently no forward all calls call forwarding on Straight Talk, though. :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by BillP3393 View Post

Don't know about the France question.

But as far as moving from Sprint to Straight Talk, I did it this weekend.

When you go through the activation process, you can tell it to port your Sprint number right there. Mine was done in a couple of hours.

I did this with an unlocked Pre2, if you want to save some money and go that route. I guess the Pre 3 or Veer would give you 4G on ST? That's the only thing I don't know, having only a 3G phone.

But the process was painless for me. Go for it! The only things that are missing are
    - Sprint Navigation. There are rumors that Telenav may have a HTML5 solution in the future.
    - ST doesn't seem to allow call forwarding for all calls. Bummer, I was looking forward to firing up my vonage line at home and forwarding when at home again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnie View Post
    What does that mean?
    When I switched over to StraightTalk, my TeleNav app still worked until the end of my Sprint billing cycle. Then it stopped working and told me I had to pay $1.99/day or $9.99/month. You can buy it straight from TeleNav for a little cheaper than that if you want.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast