Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    You know, I find it remarkable how similar our situations are. I too am on a family plan w/ Sprint. I'm primary user and my mother is the additional line. I pay about $122 after everything (discount, taxes, fees) for the 1500 min shared plan. I charge in about $88 for my portion to my company, which means I put my mom's plan at a cost of $34 (I was paying about $88 when I was on a single line plan so that's how I justify my mom's added cost). My mother doesn't text and does not use data (she may receive text/mms sometimes). She has a feature phone.

I'm just trying to figure out where I can move my mom and still maintain about monthly cost of $34... unlimited talk would be nice. There's no way I'll move to ST and then have my mother's remaining line be hit by a $70 charge every month...
    Simple solution Virgin Mobile for mom and ST for you. Now, you need to buy a feature phone for VirginMobile and Pre 3 for ST.

I am loving the talk and browse feature. I wonder how I missed that all these years.

"M U L T I T A S K I N G with T A L K and B R O W S E " That alone will make webOS the best mobile platform.
    I also moved from Sprint (frankenpre) to ST. I'm on a Veer getting 5mb download and using tethering (freetether). No complaints so far. ATT nav did not work for me so I purchased Ndrive from the app catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Texting on Sprint is hit and miss. If you happen to have the Airave it makes matters worse. So far the few texts I sent reached almost instantaneous.

The only issue is the battery life. It won't last more than 5 hours. I need to start looking at Preware and other stuff to maximize the battery.
    My phone easily lasts all day with UberKernel installed. The standby life is pretty good. With light browsing and heavy texting, I don't need to charge all day.
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ironclad359 View Post
    My phone easily lasts all day with UberKernel installed. The standby life is pretty good. With light browsing and heavy texting, I don't need to charge all day.
    Are you on ST ?
    So UberKernel is the way to go ?
    Are you on ST ?
    So UberKernel is the way to go ?
    Yes, I'm just now finishing up my first month on ST. I text all day, every day. When I'm not texting, the phone is usually in standby. Every now and then I'll browse the web for a minute or two to look something up. I keep my screen brightness around 25-30% and I leave UberKernel on the default setting (no overclocking). WiFi helps with the standby length if you need it. I can usually get my phone to last from 7am to 10pm or later with this setup.

Edit: UberKernel seems to help. I use Govnah as well to see the impact of different factors on my battery life, which helps me keep things under control.
    Last edited by ironclad359; 03/22/2012 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Additional Response
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ironclad359 View Post
    Yes, I'm just now finishing up my first month on ST. I text all day, every day. When I'm not texting, the phone is usually in standby. Every now and then I'll browse the web for a minute or two to look something up. I keep my screen brightness around 25-30% and I leave UberKernel on the default setting (no overclocking). WiFi helps with the standby length if you need it. I can usually get my phone to last from 7am to 10pm or later with this setup.

Edit: UberKernel seems to help. I use Govnah as well to see the impact of different factors on my battery life, which helps me keep things under control.

Interesting, I did the Uberkernel after seeing your post. It is not helping me. I had the screen brightness at 50% I changed that to 25% now. Also turned off the auto locate. There are two Uberkernel profile, the userspace one and the ondemand. I used the userspace. Strange thing is my Sprint Pre started behaving the same way , it would die mid day. My usage is few texts and three email accounts pulling every 30 minutes few calls.
    Simple solution Virgin Mobile for mom and ST for you. Now, you need to buy a feature phone for VirginMobile and Pre 3 for ST.

I am loving the talk and browse feature. I wonder how I missed that all these years.

"M U L T I T A S K I N G with T A L K and B R O W S E " That alone will make webOS the best mobile platform.
    Ok cool. I'll look into Virgin Mobile.
    I've had the pre3 since Nov. But it's just sitting lonely on the table
    Interesting, I did the Uberkernel after seeing your post. It is not helping me. I had the screen brightness at 50% I changed that to 25% now. Also turned off the auto locate. There are two Uberkernel profile, the userspace one and the ondemand. I used the userspace. Strange thing is my Sprint Pre started behaving the same way , it would die mid day. My usage is few texts and three email accounts pulling every 30 minutes few calls.
    OC or not, uberkernal will get rid of Too Many Cards error, which has happened a bunch of times on my pre3, which is a bit appalling that pre3 is still getting the stupid error 2 year after the original pre.
    Ok, so I bought an unlocked GSM Pre2 that I used to frankenpre on sprint. Can I put the GSM comm board back in and do the same thing? Which SIM do I order from straighttalk, the unlocked or the ATT specific?
    : (){:|:&};:
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    Ok, so I bought an unlocked GSM Pre2 that I used to frankenpre on sprint. Can I put the GSM comm board back in and do the same thing? Which SIM do I order from straighttalk, the unlocked or the ATT specific?
    Assuming that you put the comm board back, you need to order the ATT SIM from ST. You can do T Mo SIM too but you will get EDGE speeds only.
    Assuming that you put the comm board back, you need to order the ATT SIM from ST. You can do T Mo SIM too but you will get EDGE speeds only.
    So, with an ATT SIM I'll get 3G speeds? I am definitely considering doing this. With the money I save, I can re-establish my vonage line without spending any more than I do currently just for Sprint. Bonus, I'll be able to (assuming I can get one) jump up to a Pre3 down the line with the same SIM?

**Edit**
    Since I originally frankenpre'd this, I assume I'll need to visit the doctor again after I swap the boards. The Pre2 that I bought is unlocked GSM. If I buy the ATT SIM, I assume I would run the regular unlocked doctor. No metadoctoring required?
    Last edited by knobbysideup; 03/23/2012 at 08:54 AM.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    So, with an ATT SIM I'll get 3G speeds? I am definitely considering doing this. With the money I save, I can re-establish my vonage line without spending any more than I do currently just for Sprint. Bonus, I'll be able to (assuming I can get one) jump up to a Pre3 down the line with the same SIM?

**Edit**
    Since I originally frankenpre'd this, I assume I'll need to visit the doctor again after I swap the boards. The Pre2 that I bought is unlocked GSM. If I buy the ATT SIM, I assume I would run the regular unlocked doctor. No metadoctoring required?
    I have not done any franken thing. I believe if you put back the comm board and doctor it using the the unlocked version you are back to how the phone was sold originally. It would do a 3G quite nicely. Which is not bad either. Pre 3 would be great for speeds and size but battery is horrible. It wouldn't last more than 4 hours for me. I am doing patches, Uberkernel, Jstop....... still no luck.
    I have not done any franken thing. I believe if you put back the comm board and doctor it using the the unlocked version you are back to how the phone was sold originally. It would do a 3G quite nicely. Which is not bad either. Pre 3 would be great for speeds and size but battery is horrible. It wouldn't last more than 4 hours for me. I am doing patches, Uberkernel, Jstop....... still no luck.
    Cool, thanks for all of the good info. I'm going to give it a go!
    Yes Straight Talk is prepaid, but you have options to choose T Mo SIM card and ATT SIM. Get a GSM Pre 3 and buy an ATT SIM with data plan for $ 45.00. Your phone will be ready, as simple as that. The number porting was a breeze too. I got my number ported less than 2 hours.
    Seriously? Here in The Netherlands it takes 1 month to port a number (literally 1 month).
    I am stil on sprint (without a contract) just upgraded my pre- to a frankenpre. I would love to get on ST on a pre 3. how much are they? and whats the easiest way or where to get one???
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    **Edit**
    Indeed I did this with my Pre2. I frankenstein'd it onto Sprint and then undid the work to get the phone back onto GSM. I saved the entire "USB partition" also did a save/restore and a Preware save/restore to ensure that I didn't lose any data when visiting the good'ol Doctor. 1) save everything 2) do the physical work 3) knock on the Doctor's door to get fixed right 4) restore/rebuild your environment the way you like it. While you're at it, you should be able to keep your OG Pre on Sprint no problem, even after re-Doctoring it.
    I just ordered my sim card for my Preł from Staighttalk.com . I should get it soon. Sprint is in trouble if it works like I want it.
    Ok, sorry for all of the questions, but I don't want to waste my time or money, and am glad to have people here who have already done this.

I have an unlocked GSM pre2.

1) When I order the SIM from ST, do I order the SIM for an unlocked phone, or the SIM for AT&T compatible phone? It looks like they may actually be the same thing?
    2) Which size SIM do I order. Standard or Micro?
    3) Since this was a frankenpre, I will need to doctor again. Do I use the AT&T doctor or the Unlocked Doctor?

Thanks for all of the help!
    After reading this thread, I'm going to give this a shot. I'm a 6-year Sprint user. My Pre3 is on the way and I'll be ordering an AT&T SIM from Straight Talk today.
    Sorry for the delay, I've been moving to a new place and haven't had much internet access/time lately lol. I use the ondemand profile. It scales the processor speed down whenever the phone isn't in use. One thing to note is that my Pre 3 initially did not scale at all, it was running at full speed 24/7, which was KILLER on battery life. I had to make a custom ondemand profile and THEN the default ondemand profile scaled properly. You'll have to run Govnah and let your screen time out once or twice to see if the CPU scales down to 122Mhz when the screen is off.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast