1.    #1  
    Hello,

I am sitting in Germany. So I have no way check to check it somewhere in a store or whatever.

Does the Pre 3 Verizon world model take a different CDMA provider USIM card? I know that I could use the GSM module with any sim card (and Germany has GSM only). I am talking about to use this phone in Germany with my GSM provider and in funnny countries like Afghanistan with their local Afghan Telecom CDMA network. Actually I have this CDMA SIM card here in my desk.

I saw in the US these bundled (cheap) cdma phones with an integrated sim card to my surprise. A cell phone where it is impossible to remove the sim card

Is the reception quality for the GSM part that poor still? Any improvements with new webos versions?

thanks
  2.    #2  
    Nobody an idea, noboday with an Verizon Pre 3 world phone can check this for me?
    Technically, there's no such thing as a CDMA SIM card (it's called something else), but it's only used by a very small number of carriers in the world, and Qualcomm apparently does not support it - and considering that they manufacture the vast majority of CDMA chipsets - that pretty much means it's unsupported. Considering that the majority of CDMA networks in use within the world are incompatible with each other (Sprint, Verizon, Docomo all use different radio frequencies), it pretty much only presents a problem when you have a completely non-functional phone that cannot transfer it's data to another host.

So, it's not that the phones have "cheap integrated SIMs", it's that CDMA was not built to use a removeable card
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    FYI:
    it does work with China Telcom cdma network,by useing a CT cdma uim card,and set "UIM" to "R-UIM only" or "R-UIM if avail" by qualcomm QPST; only voice and sms work,no 1x/ev.

5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    ... Qualcomm apparently does not support it - and considering that they manufacture the vast majority of CDMA chipsets - that pretty much means it's unsupported. Considering that the majority of CDMA networks in use within the world are incompatible with each other (Sprint, Verizon, Docomo all use different radio frequencies)

So, it's not that the phones have "cheap integrated SIMs", it's that CDMA was not built to use a removeable card
    oh okay, in this case it was a 20 dollar phone. I am some confused anyway, GSM has a bunch of frequencies too. At the moment they sold in Europe the "digital margin" which means ~800Mhz frequencies. Of course most of the current phones do not support it. I saw an china HTC clone with dual sim, gsm and cdma and both slots work (dual) with afghan telecom on the cdma side and roshan on the gsm side. it was a qualcomm, correct.

Quote Originally Posted by freezex View Post
    FYI:
    it does work with China Telcom cdma network,by useing a CT cdma uim card,and set "UIM" to "R-UIM only" or "R-UIM if avail" by qualcomm QPST; only voice and sms work,no 1x/ev.
    Oh this are half good news, I suppose this China HTC clone was built for China Telecom CDMA and it worked in Afghanistan. But no data sucks With this Qualcomm QPST tool (where to get?) I can modify the type of sim card entered into the "gsm" slot on the Pre 3?
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Technically, there's no such thing as a CDMA SIM card (it's called something else), but it's only used by a very small number of carriers in the world, and Qualcomm apparently does not support it - and considering that they manufacture the vast majority of CDMA chipsets - that pretty much means it's unsupported. Considering that the majority of CDMA networks in use within the world are incompatible with each other (Sprint, Verizon, Docomo all use different radio frequencies), it pretty much only presents a problem when you have a completely non-functional phone that cannot transfer it's data to another host.

Actually I think Verizon and Sprint are the same CDMA 800/1900, that's why the bad ESN Sprint and Verizon phones all end up on MetroPCS.
    Willing to physically destroy an Active Pre- in order to use its ESN on a Pre3 on Sprint.
    Also willing to pay for the help. PM me if this is within your skill-set and you are willing to help.
  8.    #8  
    @Davide-NYC

Please help me out with the US CDMA providers. The distribution of of SIM cards and phones is some different here and when I was in the US, I used GSM phones only. No registration for the phone was requiered, at least for AT&T.

You must activate your cell phone at Sprint or Verizon, no matter if it is your own unlocked cell phone? Your plan is to modify the ESN of an existing phone (Pre 3) and "steal" the ESN from a phone you have activated on Sprint and is switched off now (old Pre)?

Is it possible at all to buy Sprint / Verizon SIM cards without a phone? Just curious.