Like Tree12Likes
  • 8 Post By wellwellwell11
  • 2 Post By dbmgreen
  • 1 Post By laingman
  • 1 Post By wellwellwell11
  1.    #1  
    its been a good year in a half since I have had a webos device, and I have to say that the grass def isnt greener on the other side of the fense people. When I left the Pre plus converted on sprint, I was leaving only due to frustration with HP, and basics like screen size and overal speed and lag. I then picked up a htc arrive WP7 device. I will say this WP7 is in the driver seat, and the OS is beautiful. Very easy to use, and very easy to do everyday task. As I stated before I left the pre using WP7 before that this was Webos comp in terms of overal innovation I wasent kidding. Though the boring notion of the OS, and blandness is there, and I can see why its not appealing intially to most people. Leaving there going to the iphone 4s was a pleasure. IOS is very elegant, though it is very hard to use when trying to do things fast. Multiasking (like WP&, and Google) is a joke, and even jailbreaking adding features like xnotifications (to be able to slide down the notification and swipe left to see twitter and facebook) was on point, but with only 512mb of ram IOS crawled. People when you hack a iphone performance is murdered even with a dual core processor. I mean opening up a mail app with alot of **** on the phone took longer sometimes then the original pre. I had a app to kill the ram manually and had to do so everytime at one point just to be able to do things, and when you have to come out of a app to go to another one (like most OS's) doing things on the fly is very hard. Though the thousands of apps were nice, I again as I stated before dont use to many apps. As long as the basic ones are there and they work then im fine, but to each there own on that issue. The hardware is nice on the Iphone as usual though holding that and the Pre 3 in my hand I dont see why people say the pre 3 was still not up to par on quality parts. In fact I think it feels just as primer as the Iphone, and the screen is just as good (we all know the PPI is almost on par with Iphones retna display, and the processor and is better then even the dual core one). Moving on to the Galaxy SII from there was short lived. Android is nice dont get me wrong in its own way, though to me its more hype then anything. Still even with ICS (I had hacked one of there roms on there before it was released, I believe next week). Its not innovating, and still is behind IOS IMO. doing things still are very tedious, and again like IOS doing things on the fly real fast is a real task. The Phone itself was very light and nice in the hand, but folks its more plastic then the original pre. Dont get me wrong a very high quality plastic, but the way the people boast about the phone you would think its was made of teflon smh. After finally snagging a Pre 3 on ebay for 200 I must say entering my second week (and its amusing saying this on a so called outdated device). This is the best device Ive used so far ever. Webos just has it, the way they handle task is genious, and the issues most people had with the pre and pixi (screen size, speed, and build quailty) is all addressed leaving a very very nice device. I mean the speed on this phone is crazy fast, and I can say doing everyday task and mulitiple task IOS, android, or WP7 OS are not built to do period. In the end Im very happy to be back, and hope Meg and HP really keep pushing for Webos to become what its mean to become....a great OS.
    God thats a tiring read! I felt like I couldn't take a breath Paragraphs son, Paragraphs!!!

What you have said though, is pretty much how I feel.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

RoverNole and mafu6 like this.
    Nice to have you back. I remember when you left. Your post about your experiences with these other devices was interesting.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    God thats a tiring read! I felt like I couldn't take a breath Paragraphs son, Paragraphs!!!

What you have said though, is pretty much how I feel.
    lol no doubt, my bad homie will do next time
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Nice to have you back. I remember when you left. Your post about your experiences with these other devices was interesting.
    yeah its been a while, and im def glad to be back ready to support Webos and do my part.
    Welcome back. Its nice to hear from folks with experience with the other platforms. I really dont know how webos could have made it, as it is now its hard to get some of my friends to even try it becasue they cant imagine that something form a company no one has even heard of can be as good as the mighty iphone.
    RoverNole likes this.
    kinda weird I'm actually going the other way, tinkering with some other devices and OS's out of necessity.

I'm on vzw, loving my pre2. But there are some issues with it and have been looking at vzw pre3's but they are atleast $500! Not sure its worth it for a device and OS that may not have a future...if they were only 200 like the ones for Att I would get it in a heartbeat.

but anyways welcome back!
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    ................and have been looking at vzw pre3's but they are atleast $500! Not sure its worth it for a device and OS that may not have a future...if they were only 200 like the ones for Att I would get it in a heartbeat......................
    You know what, the Att Pre3s are actually a little more expensive now on ebay at least, and if you think that you are going to get 18 / 24 months out of a phone, I would bet that $500 is still cheaper than getting a carrier subsidised phone with the functionality.

I have just got my hands on a Pre3, its GREAT, it's the first webOS phone that I feel comfortable handing over to a non webOS user. Just for clarity I own a Pre-, Pre2, Veer, and now a Pre3

AWSOME PHONE!!
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    You know what, the Att Pre3s are actually a little more expensive now on ebay at least, and if you think that you are going to get 18 / 24 months out of a phone, I would bet that $500 is still cheaper than getting a carrier subsidised phone with the functionality.

I have just got my hands on a Pre3, its GREAT, it's the first webOS phone that I feel comfortable handing over to a non webOS user. Just for clarity I own a Pre-, Pre2, Veer, and now a Pre3

AWSOME PHONE!!
    you are very correct, Ive been watching the price for the Pre 3 for over 6 months now before snagging one 2 weeks ago for AT&T. The price was in the 150 200 range when they announced they would stop making them, then I would say recently the price skyrocketed back up. Most likely due to HP stating full support, the open source, and new life with updates and maybe a option of android apps on it. So getting a Pre 3 for ATT or VZ will be tough, though the VZ is more expensive it is well worth the price believe me as I stated Ive tried most of the other OS's top devices, and the Pre 3 hands down is very underrated. You wont be disappointed if you get one for that price.
    modelck likes this.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    kinda weird I'm actually going the other way, tinkering with some other devices and OS's out of necessity.

I'm on vzw, loving my pre2. But there are some issues with it and have been looking at vzw pre3's but they are atleast $500! Not sure its worth it for a device and OS that may not have a future...if they were only 200 like the ones for Att I would get it in a heartbeat.

but anyways welcome back!

I def feel you, and though I would recommend the Pre 3 highly it does come at a price. Though as noted even now theres only one showing for sale on ebay for 499 obo ★ HP PLAM PRE 3 VERIZON 3G GLOBAL SMARTPHONE ★ 16GB BLACK ★ MATCH YOUR TOUCHPAD (886111711512) | eBay

which is crazy since last week there were 12, so the new life HP is trying to give webos is paying off, and you wont be disappointed if you do get one a very very big difference between the 2.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I had a Pre3... for about four months, and then one morning it just up and died. Turned it on, there was a quiet 'pop', and then nothing. At that point, I suddenly found myself on the bad side of using a non-supported device. All I could do was sell it for parts.

I love WebOS as much as anybody, but until we get some carrier supported phones running the new open WebOS, I'm going to hang out on the Android side of the fence for a while. I replaced my Pre3 with a Samsung Galaxy Note, so I'm enjoying it at the moment. I'll be the first to line up for a new WebOS phone, though. Just got to see a carrier pick it back up to give it the 'signs of life' I need to see before investing any more cash in WebOS hardware.
    -= Gihmley =-

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...