Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I have been considering the Pre3 for quite a while now. I like the idea of a the slide out portrait keyboard. I really miss using webOS but switching from Sprint has me kind of nervous.

I can't decide how much I will miss the apps that I use on my Nexus S right now. Ive been disappointed with the podcast experience with Dr. Podder when I last was using webOS last, not sure if that was my fault or the apps fault. Podcast listening is a big part of my day so an unhappy experience causes me to carry around two devices, which I'd rather not do. Anyone have issues or is it just me?

Does anyone who uses the Pre have issues with it I should be aware of? What about AT&T are they as bad as I hear?

I ask cause I usually end up swapping devices frequently now. Will I still feel that way with the Pre?

Thanks for any advise guys.
    Global Posts
    4,378 Global Posts
    I have my pre 3 as a back up second phone. I don't regret getting it. Sometimes I have the urge to use it and really enjoy it. I have absolutely no issues with it and it works great. Due to the lack of apps and developer support it will always remain a second device. My daily driver is an HTC Titan.
    my only regrets about the pre3 was not being able to get 1 sooner, and having to scramble like a madman to get 1.
    ShiftyAxel likes this.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    they so damn good I got two att ones! (damnit) )
    No regrets at all, aside from the sadness that HP never released the one device that was devoid of nearly every hardware problem of the past.

AT&T varies so much by geography, so I can't make a recommendation there. I will note that my data usage has been much higher than it ever was when I was on Sprint. It was the same story even when I was temporarily using an AT&T Pre Plus for about a week, and when I was using a Veer prior to my Pre3. I am fairly certain that the methods in which they calculate data are completely inconsistent with that of Sprint. That was just my own experience though, but it does make one wonder....?

That's my only caution, but hardly enough to avoid a Pre3. I say, take the plunge.

EDIT: Was just thinking, perhaps it's not the calculation method of AT&T, but more driven by the network band differences & the efficiency of data transfer. Anyone with a background in this that can chime in? Am I alone in noticing the data usage difference between Sprint & AT&T?
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
    carldc and Vistaus like this.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I spent a hour yesterday trying to get a ringtone on my ex (yes we all have issues lol) wifes ios 4s . I know that's not a issue in android but after using the iPhone for a hour the only thought I had was, what the hell I mean is anyone in hp hardware who worked on webOS mobile who has not gone nuts in frustration of having the greatest mobile device and no one could see it.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    oh and that's me who is in Australia ... No 4g . So I imagine how great this phone is on 4G
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    No regrets at all, aside from the sadness that HP never released the one device that was devoid of nearly every hardware problem of the past.
    Amen!

As for the switch from Sprint to at&t... I was unsure about giving up unlimited Sprint for a limited at&t plan, but I did it and have no regrets. Actually saved $40/month by switching to a 2gb plan. I realize others might need more, but with WiFi, I don't come anywhere near the limit -- and I consider myself a relatively heavy data user.

I had no beef with Sprint at all (except for no Pre 3!). So far I'm fine with at&t, too. Coverage is good (including 4G!)-- even here in rural north Georgia.
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    Vistaus likes this.
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carldc View Post
    Amen!

As for the switch from Sprint to at&t... I was unsure about giving up unlimited Sprint for a limited at&t plan, but I did it and have no regrets. Actually saved $40/month by switching to a 2gb plan. I realize others might need more, but with WiFi, I don't come anywhere near the limit -- and I consider myself a relatively heavy data user.

I had no beef with Sprint at all (except for no Pre 3!). So far I'm fine with at&t, too. Coverage is good (including 4G!)-- even here in rural north Georgia.
    I am still on my Sprint Pre-. Bought a Pre3. I am currently test driving TMo 60 dollar plan along with Sprint Pre-. TMo is only EDGE. So I guess ATT is the only option for me out there (sans H2O 1 G plan).

Can you tell me how is ATT cheaper than Sprint ? Now they have increased the data plan to 3G and added 5 dollars more.
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by romeytang View Post
    I have been considering the Pre3 for quite a while now. I like the idea of a the slide out portrait keyboard. I really miss using webOS but switching from Sprint has me kind of nervous.

I can't decide how much I will miss the apps that I use on my Nexus S right now. Ive been disappointed with the podcast experience with Dr. Podder when I last was using webOS last, not sure if that was my fault or the apps fault. Podcast listening is a big part of my day so an unhappy experience causes me to carry around two devices, which I'd rather not do. Anyone have issues or is it just me?

Does anyone who uses the Pre have issues with it I should be aware of? What about AT&T are they as bad as I hear?

I ask cause I usually end up swapping devices frequently now. Will I still feel that way with the Pre?

Thanks for any advise guys.
    Hey, I use Dr.Podder all the time. The main issue with Dr. Podder is with Sprint Network. The app requires a solid connection when listening live. Way back when the app was first sold it had issues. It was crashing the browser. Later the developer fixed it. Here is a tip. Download all of the podcasts when you are connected via Wifi. You can play them later with no issues. I have not tried it on Pre3 yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Hey, I use Dr.Podder all the time. The main issue with Dr. Podder is with Sprint Network. The app requires a solid connection when listening live. Way back when the app was first sold it had issues. It was crashing the browser. Later the developer fixed it. Here is a tip. Download all of the podcasts when you are connected via Wifi. You can play them later with no issues. I have not tried it on Pre3 yet.
    I use Dr Podder and PodFrenzy on my Pre3 no real issues with either. ATT has been good for us, haven't broke the 2gig cap yet. My regret is buying 2 Pre2s prior to buying the Pre3... should have held out just a few weeks longer and saved about $200.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I went from my pre2 to 3 and honeslty its not that big a diff. I'm bored of the phone after 2 weeks. Or maybe I'm bored of webOS app selection. I always have a Pre2 fully charged and switched back for a day and man I love the Pre2. It so much better for 1 handed use. If you plan on sticking with webOS for more then a year then do the Pre3.
    Global Posts
    725 Global Posts
    Very Happy. I am on AT&T and it is what it is. Time was that our country place had no service but AT&T and I just never have changed. But I have good h+ coverage and everything works dynamite.
    Jim Altman
    Palm III ->Treos 600->650->750->Pro->Pre Plus->Pre 2->Pre3+TouchPad
    I love my Pre3. 'nuff said.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    I'm in the UK, so I can't comment on US carriers, but I have absolutely zero regrets about getting a Pre 3.

The phone is an absolute joy to use. webOS absolutely flies on the Pre 3 hardware, and the screen is really good.

The build quality is a massive step up from the Pre- that it replaced. The keyboard is just great. I loved the keyboard on my original Pre, but the Pre 3 one is slightly larger, and feels more solid.

One of the things I love the most about the Pre 3 is how it feels in the hand. The size, shape, weight, and the rubberised back make it really pleasing to hold and use.

I can't recommend it highly enough. The only problem I have with it is the fact that it IS so damn great; it just makes it all the worse that HP just ditched it like that...
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    Vistaus likes this.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Can you tell me how is ATT cheaper than Sprint ? Now they have increased the data plan to 3G and added 5 dollars more.
    I was just on their site, and honestly...it may not be any more. I might've lucked out. I went from a standalone unlimited Sprint plan at about $80/month to a 2gb plan added to my wife's at&t account. We have the minimal voice at 550/month (I rarely use voice), which was $10 over her original 450, plus about $30/month for the data (so I went from $80 to $40). I might be missing something, but I don't see the 2gb plan on their site anymore. All I see is a 3gb plan.
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    I switched from Sprint to AT&T after ten years of service and am paying about the same for 2 gigs im happy that i have webOS for sure !! i have 2 pre3's , 1 pre- , 1 pre2 , 1 veer , 1 HP TPad . ill be alright for a while . until webOS can be transferred to some other phone or until another company picks up webOS !! or even maybe until a phone comes out that you can put whatever you want on it !! lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I still love using my Pre3 after 6 months. I was showing it to a friend last week who'd never seen it before but had been playing with an iphone 4s for a while. He simply asked "why wasn't it more popular??".
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    carldc, Vistaus and rayraypre like this.
    Dang it. After reading this thread i want a Pre3 now.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by carldc View Post
    I was just on their site, and honestly...it may not be any more. I might've lucked out. I went from a standalone unlimited Sprint plan at about $80/month to a 2gb plan added to my wife's at&t account. We have the minimal voice at 550/month (I rarely use voice), which was $10 over her original 450, plus about $30/month for the data (so I went from $80 to $40). I might be missing something, but I don't see the 2gb plan on their site anymore. All I see is a 3gb plan.
    IIRC they recently dumped 2gig for 3 gig. We dont use a lot of minutes either, but we went with the 750 plan because the unlimited messaging includes free mobile to any mobile, end up being about the same as the 550 w/ unlimited sms. Might be moot if you don't SMS like I do, 1000+ is minimum, usually 2000+.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast