Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeron View Post
    Well, the good news is... the phone still works! (PHEW!)

The bad news is that the screen is water damaged. It works (including touchscreen) but it is like looking at the screen through clouds or fog. I don't know if it is repairable.
    If you can, dismantle the phone (this would be a brave thing to do).
    Further drying may or may not work depending on whether there were dissolved salts or a little oil in the water. There is a possible remedy which I can't guarantee but may work. You would need to obtain some pure iso-propanol. Check that it does not affect the case (it shouldn't) then remove back, battery and sim card and soak the phone thoroughly in the isopropanol until you see it is getting between glass and lcd. You will need to spend time on this, shake the phone around and swill it. Wear rubber gloves, obviously. The isopropanol will dissolve small amounts of water and any oil or grease.
    Now leave the phone propped up at different angles to allow it to drain thoroughly. Then set a warming oven to no more than 45C and leave the phone in overnight. This will evaporate all the remaining isopropanol.

Isopropanol is used as a cleaner for many electronic assemblies and they are almost all rated safe for use with it.

Almost as good is pure industrial alcohol but it is very hard to come by.

When I did my training as an electronic engineer, many years ago, the technicians used to clean up equipment thoroughly by first washing with DI water containing a few drops of detergent, then with pure DI, then with isopropanol and finally with diethyl ether. Something that looked as if it had been in a war (sometimes it had...) would emerge looking new.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    So...back to the rice discussion ...

Some rice have a coating, accidental or not, of anything from starch to vitamin/nutient dust to rice/rice hull powder...or nothing at all. I'm thinking that that's where the story about the moisture aborbing properties come from. The Uncle Ben's stuff won't work, the stuff you buy in 20 kg sacs from the Chinese food store probably will, but all in all, go for the silica gel.

So you're all right.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post

So you're all right.
    "we're all right...nobody worry bout me/us...somebody give us a sign...on where to catch the bus..." ala Kenny Loggins
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post

Some rice have a coating, accidental or not, of anything from starch to vitamin/nutient dust to rice/rice hull powder...or nothing at all. I'm thinking that that's where the story about the moisture aborbing properties come from. The Uncle Ben's stuff won't work, the stuff you buy in 20 kg sacs from the Chinese food store probably will, but all in all, go for the silica gel.

So you're all right.
    I've avoided getting into the rice debate up till now because silica gel is indeed the readily available answer to drying things out. But dry rice does have moisture-removing properties. This is because it is a carbohydrate, which means that water sticks to the surface of its molecules by hydrogen bonding. In a sealed box this will remove water from the air, reducing the relative humidity and causing slow evaporation of water from anything wet. Silica gel does the same thing but its bonding to water molecules is much stronger, so it reduces the humidity much more which increases the drying effect. Concentrated sulfuric acid or anhydrous copper sulfate are even better but not usually available to the home user and a little hazardous in use.
    so where do you get the silica stuff at ?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    And more importantly, is silica gel better with teriyaki or curry? Look, it's Friday, it's as hot as it's ever been in Tennessee as far as I can remember, so I'm letting off a little steam...oh, did I just do that?

I've been a bad hi-jacker of this thread...sorry about that. Perhaps I can get lucky enough to bag a Pre3 for a cheap price (although I'm on Verizon, so the odds are ever not in my favor).

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    And more importantly, is silica gel better with teriyaki or curry? Look, it's Friday, it's as hot as it's ever been in Tennessee as far as I can remember, so I'm letting off a little steam...oh, did I just do that?

I've been a bad hi-jacker of this thread...sorry about that. Perhaps I can get lucky enough to bag a Pre3 for a cheap price (although I'm on Verizon, so the odds are ever not in my favor).
    so buy an AT&T pre and move to AT&T lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    ...Perhaps I can get lucky enough to bag a Pre3 for a cheap price (although I'm on Verizon, so the odds are ever not in my favor).
    so buy an AT&T pre and move to AT&T lol
    Bzzzzt - Try again!

Get a Pre 3 and join Straight Talk...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Bzzzzt - Try again!

Get a Pre 3 and join Straight Talk...
    Company phone, they use Verizon...sorry but it's the only option I have...if I want my phone paid for...ending a sentence in a preposition again...

Loads of options. 25g bags from 7dayshop are good value.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123