Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Welcome to the club. The only issue you may encounter is if you use hotmail through exchange, since we are affected, like some people with some android devices, etc, by something that microsoft did on their side.

What do you mean with "black chrome on black" ?
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    I have had my exchange account working and synching with no problems or delays the last two days on my exchange, calender and notifications on ATT Pre³. Same with numerous Live and Hotmail.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Balooz View Post
    So unless you plan on boiling (or steaming)your device with rice, you aren't doing anything. A misunderstood folk lore that is not true.
    well, I have found a huge silica gel bag here at work, so I'm going to put the phone in a ziplock bag with that overnight tonight.
    My experience stands, whether the rice did anything or not, my devices worked AFTER the process...maybe it was just a placebo, but my results were good...poor rice, not being thrown at weddings anymore (I heard because birds eat and they swell and harm the birds) and now this? What's a rice grain to do? Well, at least there's still sushi!

Another trick to remove moisture, whether you believe the rice discussion one way or the other, is to place the device under a lamp, a few inches away if possible. I did this also with my HandERA and as long as it is only warm to the touch (was a medium wattage, about 40 or 60 watts), it will help to drive off moisture. And if necessary, have rice for dinner!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    I don't know whether rice does anything or not, but I do know that Silica Gel sachets are included with electronic goods when shipped to stop moisture attracting on the item being shipped.

Whether it can magically pull moisture out of a phone that is already there, I don't know, but at least I know that silica gel definitely attracts moisture, the sachets do that by design!

I have found a huge one here, so it seems like the best bet to me.
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    Quote Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
    I'm pretty certain the Pre 3 doesn't have a dual-core CPU.
    1.4GHz. single core. But so what? it's fast enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    Welcome to the club. The only issue you may encounter is if you use hotmail through exchange, since we are affected, like some people with some android devices, etc, by something that microsoft did on their side.

What do you mean with "black chrome on black" ?
    The trim on the Pre 3 resembles trivalent chrome plating rather than the brighter hexavalent chrome, though I think it is actually possibly an anodised finish. I prefer it to the bright chrome buttons on iPhones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeron View Post
    I don't know whether rice does anything or not, but I do know that Silica Gel sachets are included with electronic goods when shipped to stop moisture attracting on the item being shipped.

Whether it can magically pull moisture out of a phone that is already there, I don't know, but at least I know that silica gel definitely attracts moisture, the sachets do that by design!

I have found a huge one here, so it seems like the best bet to me.
    Yes, silica gel will dry out any small electronic goods. If you can, pre-bake it in a microwave oven (the silica gel, obviously) - I find around 350W for 90 seconds a good starting point for a large bag - until some of the granules inside turn blue which means they are dried out. After baking, swing it around a bit to encourage steam to escape, then put it in a dry sealed box to cool. Remove covers and batteries from appliance, leave in box overnight. Incidentally this can sometimes rescue microphones and earpieces that have got damp. Tiny amounts of water get into them and stop the diaphragms from vibrating.

I live in a part of the world with moderate rainfall, and i have a large box with nearly 200g of silica gel to use as a convenient dessicator. Just keep all the sachets they provide you with; they last years.
    I think I just like to hear the word "sachet"...it's cute! Is that how James Bond orders his martini? Very dry...with just a whisper of vermouth, and 3 sachet's of silica gel?

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    I hadn't thought of nuking the silica gel first! Great idea. I have some plastic takeaway boxes that would be perfect containers too.
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    Rice trick will not work, and being a culinary graduate I can tell you that rice will not does not absorb any moisture what so ever until placed under a heat source. Same with it in your salt shakers, it does not and can not absorb anything until a specific temperature is obtained. The only thing that will have happened is the moisture would have evaporated, regardless of rice or not. Now beans are another story. Dry beans can and will absorb moisture under any condition. So, instead of putting a grain of rice in your salt shaker that does no good other than clog the top, a dry bean will actually do what your trying to do. Test it. Put rice in a glass of water, then take it out after you think its absorbed. Notice its hard as it was when started. (absorbed nothing) do it with a bean. It'll be full of moisture and soft. So unless you plan on boiling (or steaming)your device with rice, you aren't doing anything. A misunderstood folk lore that is not true.
    Hmmm not sure if I agree with you there.
    For decades, my mother always soaks a bowl of rice in water for at least 30 min prior to cooking b/c the rice soaks up water and it comes out more moist and evenly textured on the inside after you cook. Leave rice in room temperature water for a few hours. The outer shell will be white. Pop some in your mouth; the outside is quite brittle at that point.

I am convinced that your bean trick would work wonderfully. Good to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    rice, not being thrown at weddings anymore (I heard because birds eat and they swell and harm the birds)..
    lol again.. 'they' don't want you to throw rice at weddings because it makes a mess someone else has to clean up. It wouldn't surprise me if some wedding venue started that story because they found people wouldn't obey the 'no rice' rule unless they threatened the wildlife... Mere courtesy to the groundskeepers wasn't enough reason.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Hmmm not sure if I agree with you there.
    For decades, my mother always soaks a bowl of rice in water for at least 30 min prior to cooking b/c the rice soaks up water and it comes out more moist and evenly textured on the inside after you cook. Leave rice in room temperature water for a few hours. The outer shell will be white. Pop some in your mouth; the outside is quite brittle at that point.

I am convinced that your bean trick would work wonderfully. Good to know.
    Its science on food it will not absorb any moisture at all until a minimum temperature of 212 f. Add any rice to try and absorb moisture from a device only results in a device covered in rice, and nothing else. Years of culinary arts and science has already proven the myth wrong.
    Its science on food it will not absorb any moisture at all until a minimum temperature of 212 f. Add any rice to try and absorb moisture from a device only results in a device covered in rice, and nothing else. Years of culinary arts and science has already proven the myth wrong.
    SCIENCE EXPERIMENT TIME! Anybody have a kid who needs a science project? Let's try it...two batches of rice, one presoaked, one not...see if there is a difference. Once we have accomplished the cooking, there is one more important question to address...Masaman or Red curry sauce?

I believe you've made an inaccurate statement with "minimum of 212 F" because that is the highest temperature the liquid water can get at ambient pressure. Since most people cook rice at ambient pressure, I don't think we would be having much success if we were at the very bottom of the range for cooking rice. I believe rice does absorb water at lower temperature...whether it works at 80 degrees F is another question, but I'm pretty confident it will absorb water at 211...205...201...195...and if you push me into making a prediction, I believe it will absorb a little bit at say, 80 degrees. It may be imperceptible, but the grains of rice had to develop in the presence of moisture...remember your basic biology, so it is not impervious to moisture absorption or adsorption just because it it might be resistant to it at lower temperatures.
    Last edited by Rockbeast; 06/27/2012 at 03:05 PM.

Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    , if your using uncle bens rice than its been precooked processed with the hull, kernal and stripped. Prevailed dehydrated. If your going to do it right par boiled is not allowed. Trust me Dude, I've been studying this subject for well over twenty years. You can persist on your knowledge of the subject, but I've prolly been in this field of study longer than you have been alive. I know my sh** when its coming to anything food and culinary related. Par boiled rice is actually man made imitation that's been stripped of all nutrient s and then readied. It has been fabricated. I'm talking about actual rice. J.F.C'

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    Well, the good news is... the phone still works! (PHEW!)

The bad news is that the screen is water damaged. It works (including touchscreen) but it is like looking at the screen through clouds or fog. I don't know if it is repairable.
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    Maybe disassemble the phone and allow further drying since it sounds like moisture is trapped behind the glass...

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/globalcitiz...1178234125.pdf
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    ... but I've prolly been in this field of study longer than you have been alive. I know my sh** when its coming to anything food and culinary related...
    No, I don't think you have...I'm over 50...so... Oh, and if you don't mind, don't use the 'sh' word when talking about anything food and culinary related...it spoils the appetite!

That's a good point about the 'converted' rice. I'm not sure, but I think it was a jasmine rice...cooks for about 20 minutes I think...so it might be a step beyond 'natural' rice. Sounds like there are more science experiment options now!

I'm not trying to be argumentative with this next paragraph, so please don't be offended. I'm not saying 'no you are wrong' about rice... but do you think it is possible that there is another culinary expert who has studied for 20 or more years who might have another opinion than yours? Or, who might claim 'its a fact' that rice can and does absorb moisture at lower temps? It is possible? When you start using absolute language...and get defensive about it, my impression of your expertise tends to lessen. I'm not saying I should regard what you say less, but that is my tendency when someone gets very defensive and absolute. Hey, the facts are what they are, and I haven't lived that close to rice facts as you have. So you are probably correct. Still, it doesn't hurt to consider other possibilities. Just a helpful hint. That's something I've learned from living for over 50 years...YMMV.

Now, let's talk about the best way to get rid of hiccups! THAT should be a short discussion...

Oh, one more thing about rice. I went backpacking a couple of weekends ago with my youngest daughter and her friend (and her friend's Dad). We got to the campsite early, and we weren't sure if our friends would make it or not that ngiht. So we ate our dinner. It was a seasoned Lipton Rice packet, very converted because it only took 7 minutes of boiling. After we were done, our friends arrived. The Dad had never been backpacking before. They brought a Zaterins rice box, took 25 minutes to cook...and they only had a tiny pot to cook it in so they had to cook 2 batches. I had the only stove, so I used it for 10 minutes for our dinner, and 60 minutes for theirs! That butane cartridge that was supposed to be good for about 5 days was 2/3rds gone! I had just enough to handle our breakfast the next morning. Good thing we were only on a 1 night trip. So, although such converted rice may not be the best from a culinary standpoint, when you are backpacking...bring a bigger pot and food that doesn't take so much fuel to cook!

Where did we hike to did you ask? You didn't? Oh, well since we are talking about it, we hiked to Rocky Top, a point along the Appalachian Trail on the Tennessee/North Carolina border. My daughter had it on her 'todo list', to climb to Rocky Top and sing the song "Rocky Top" while standing on Rocky Top. And with me being a University of Tennessee graduate, we knew all the words!

I just picked up a pre 3 with touchstone and in car charger for £103 on ebay, can't wait for it to arrive next week....
    Quote Originally Posted by benwsmith1987 View Post
    I just picked up a pre 3 with touchstone and in car charger for £103 on ebay, can't wait for it to arrive next week....
    Congrats and welcome!!!
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast