webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > What's wrong with my WebAppMgr?
What's wrong with my WebAppMgr?

Old 11/30/2012, 03:22 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
Nope, there isn't a single card open, just an idle webOS, with the ton of processes it needs, of course. And a single Hotmail account through the Exchange Synergy plugin. Oh, and Mode Switcher, but that's never been a resource hog. Does anyone know where did that "org.webosintern" procees came from?

I'm talking about a system that hasn't got anything new installed since many weeks, and yet its draining battery now. That's why I suspect about envoronmental changes, such as cell towers. If they are to blame, of course that's something that can NOT be visible in system processes, can it.
Do a top, on the left hand side should be a 5-6 digit number. That is the process id. Type the following command to get the full process:

ps ax | grep <the number I had you get>

That should tell you the name of the process. Actually, the command that ran it.

I know I have seen ModeSwitcher crash on me. I have also seen a webosinternals process go nuts. Can't remember which one...
Old 11/30/2012, 04:54 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
OK, so I did a little bit more digging, found out whenever audio goes choppy, it's it's the Linux memory swap kswapd0 process sucking the entire CPU.

Fired up XTerm and tried to renice kswapd0, default was zero

- Bring to 1: no improvement
- Bring to -1: audio chopping became more frequent, but shorter in duration
- Bring to -2: audio chopping became shorter

Very optimistic daydream at this point, if Uberkernel would be able to do some optimizations there... I did some research and seems like some Android devices have this same issue and the only way to fix it is to install a new kernel.
I've been trying -4 and -10. Will keep playing.
Old 11/30/2012, 01:24 PM   #23 (permalink)

Revisited the idea of getting rid of compcache, gave me a slider issue so I took it off. Manually redid rmausser's enable Linux Swap, phone now FLIES. No more chopping audio (some very rare ones when there really are too many cards), but otherwise it's a smooth sailer. Seems like the slider issue didn't return too. But this was back in 2.2.3 so I wonder if it's a bug with that instead.

Only issue is now I notice battery life is down the drain. First part of my subway ride was 20mins and I was down to 87% already...

So now I have the System Control Optimization, Disk Cache Mod and Disable compcache and enable Linux swap patches.

Back to the drawing board...

Last edited by ToniCipriani; 11/30/2012 at 11:20 PM.
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 01:45 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Revisited the idea of getting rid of compcache, gave me a slider issue so I took it off. Manually redid rmausser's enable Linux Swap, phone now FLIES. No more chopping audio (some very rare ones when there really are too many cards), but otherwise it's a smooth sailer. Seems like the slider issue didn't return too. But this was back in 2.2.3 so I wonder if it's a bug with that instead.

Only issue is now I notice battery life is down the drain. First part of my subway ride was 20mins and I was down to 87% already...

So now I have the System Control Optimization, Disk Cache Mode and Disable compcache and enable Linux swap patches.

Back to the drawing board...
Interesting. I am going to have to check these out. These patches are in Preware, no?
Old 11/30/2012, 11:20 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
Interesting. I am going to have to check these out. These patches are in Preware, no?
All except the Disable compcache. rmausser never resubmitted it for 2.2.4, but the instructions on to do it manually is here, and it does work:

Phone seems to run a lot smoother with Compcache disabled

Pry my keyboard from my stone dead hands. I dare you. Death to all slates.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
Old 12/01/2012, 02:40 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
All except the Disable compcache. rmausser never resubmitted it for 2.2.4, but the instructions on to do it manually is here, and it does work:

Phone seems to run a lot smoother with Compcache disabled
Thanks! I followed the steps. Now I watch and see.
Old 12/13/2012, 02:15 AM   #27 (permalink)

I am also writing a script to take advantage of the cpu grouping that is done, and run cpulimit (I compiled it for webOS) on processes in certain groups. So things like contact linker, all of the calendar/contacts synergy plugins, and such don't suck up CPU (I've noticed that the Google Calendar sync runs away with the system a lot).
Old 12/13/2012, 06:38 AM   #28 (permalink)

Also while you're at it, the mediaserver process is a beast as well, and it definitely does not like to be swapped.

But almost two weeks into the mods, seems like all is well. Phone is way more usable this way and I only need reset if I run the Music Player too long and it suck up all my memory.

Pry my keyboard from my stone dead hands. I dare you. Death to all slates.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
Old 12/13/2012, 05:30 PM   #29 (permalink)

Yeah, I've noticed my phone is pretty smooth. Still running into issues with my scripts... They are a mod of these: HOWTO: Set maximum CPU consumption in percentage by any process - Ubuntu Forums

Basically, the issue is the /bin/sh scripting and busybox implementation of some of the crap... I guess the grep you get in the script is super limited....... (grep -f and grep -E weren't working)

I haven't had too many problems with mediaserver. But, there also is likely a way to note which things should and should not be swapped.

Also, I had installed JSTop and set it to auto garbage collect. That seems to help too, since WebAppMgr can use up a bunch of memory with webOS apps...
Old 12/13/2012, 05:32 PM   #30 (permalink)

The only issue that I had run into is that /etc/event.d/compcache doesn't seem to want to run on start. I have to manually run it. Now, I had copied the old on in there as compcache.old, and then prefixed every line with '#', but... I am not sure if that caused problems yet.

Edit: Nah, it was Govnah. I had Mode Switcher enable a Govnah profile. Seems like something was mucking it up...

Last edited by dkirker; 12/14/2012 at 03:29 AM.
dkirker is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0