Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By twack
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    So I lost my Pre3 yesterday and spent all morning ****ed off since I'm one of those "early adopters" that seem to always pay too much for the next new gadget ($500). If it was one of my Veer's, it would be no problem since I have a free one and a $40 one.

I called it several times hoping the finder would answer, but no luck just voicemail. I looked all over the car, house, garage and garbage. I called all the places I was at yesterday, no luck there either.

Anyway while brooding over my loss I remembered that AT&T Family Map thing where you can stalk your wife or kids via the AT&T website. I logged into the website, signed up and turned it on using the wife's phone and "wa-la". It showed that my phone was at a pizza place I stopped at on the way home. It even overlay it to the front right of the store. I called and talked to some pimply-faces-sounding pre-pubescent pizza-tosser. I explained that I left my phone there last night and if he has it. His response was "Uhhhhhh, sorry man.... I haven't seen any phone but mine". I started to explain that I can see that I know it is there from the website but figured it would be just wasted breath on my part. So anyway, I go to the pizza place and look around and there is my phone sitting between the menus and cash register right where I had left it while using my credit card last night. Amazing!

The pizza-dude then ask me if I wanted anything, and I told him that I was the guy that had just called about the phone. When I said that I had found my phone and showed him where, his reply was, "Oooohhh wow dude... that was what that ringing noise was. I was freaking out thinking it was me just hearing things again... duuuuude".

So my phone (Lassie) is back. Thanks AT&T, so maybe the thousands and thousands of dollars I've paid you over the years was worth something
    TWack
    On my 4G TouchPad, Pre3 or Panda-Veer.
    If you like our patches, please consider donating to the cause.

|wackware|google+|facebook|twitter|shortcut|mylo|multiapp|flashfile|donate|
    Great story! Glad you got it back. I was thinking you'd have to have GPS enabled and accept terms from the device, run a an app from device to ping at specified intervals (like google latitude uses) etc. Both convenient (and a bit scary) it was that easy. What settings were on the phone? Data enabled? Connected to wifi? GPS? Nice that you thought of that and had enough juice in your battery to find it so quickly!
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    Great story! Glad you got it back. I was thinking you'd have to have GPS enabled and accept terms from the device, run a an app from device to ping at specified intervals (like google latitude uses) etc. Both convenient (and a bit scary) it was that easy. What settings were on the phone? Data enabled? Connected to wifi? GPS? Nice that you thought of that and had enough juice in your battery to find it so quickly!
    I had to accept the service on one of my other phones on that same account so if you only had one phone it would not work. But then again, you wouldn't be using a "Family" locator service with one phone would you? :-)

Data was enabled so was auto location. I didn't look to see if was WiFi connected. I doubt it was since that area does not have many businesses. No McDonald's with auto-capture WiFi or the likes. On the AT&T site when it locates the phone it even gives an accuracy radius value. I forget what the value was at the time.

I guess if you were on a single phone plan you could go to the AT&T store get a cheap phone, move both phones to the family plan and get the locator service. Then find the phone and return the new phone at no cost..... maybe a restock fee
    TWack
    On my 4G TouchPad, Pre3 or Panda-Veer.
    If you like our patches, please consider donating to the cause.

|wackware|google+|facebook|twitter|shortcut|mylo|multiapp|flashfile|donate|