Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I finally did it. I found an AT&T Pre 3 for a decent price on eBay.

I've been actively reading the touchpad forums for awhile now, but I know zero about the Pre. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on what I should do first. Is preware set up for the Pre 3? Uberkernel? I'm gonna hit the forums shortly, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Thanks everyone!
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Excellent! You're gonna love it. Yes. Install Preware. If you're new to webOS, Derek Kessler had a fantastic article on getting started with homebrew: http://www.webosnation.com/how-insta...bos-smartphone.

I'll leave it to others for suggestions on patching and overclocking (to each his own, right?). I thought I might point out some of the more obscure things you might benefit from. The Pre 3 is great -- it's what Palm and HP SHOULD have started with! However, given HP's bipolar disorder, we have to adapt to a never-released model with little or no accessories. Here are some things that might help:

There are no slip pouches specifically made for the Pre 3, but you can find some that (with a little stretching) will fit: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-pre...ml#post3284399

There IS a traditional hard case made for the Pre 3 by PDAir: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-pre...ml#post3284512

The touchstone is a fantastic accessory, but some find that the Pre 3, which has a slightly rounded back (whereas the original Pre did not), doesn't always sit firmly on the touchstone. Here's an elegant way to get the Pre 3 to sit firmly on the touchstone (requiring only an old refrigerator magnet and scissors or a knife): Pre3 Specific TouchStone - Exist? Where are they?

Lastly, the Pre 3's "near-Retina" 480x800 display is fantastic, but many older apps (while they DO work) wont display properly. Here's a brilliant and simple way to fix that for many (though not all) apps: Make apps fit the whole screen Pre3

Happy motoring!
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    By the way. One thing I forgot -- Mugen extended battery!
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Carldc, thank you so much for that. Great advice for sure. I actually was in the process of getting a touchstone, so that definitely helps. Plus the older apps fitting, I have to imagine, will be a lifesaver.

Using preware beforehand, I kinda figured that would come down to personal preference. However, what do you think about the virtual keyboard patch? Do you personally think the actual keyboard is better?

This is why I've come to love webOS. Homebrew, and a fantastic community. Thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylo View Post
    Carldc, thank you so much for that. Great advice for sure. I actually was in the process of getting a touchstone, so that definitely helps. Plus the older apps fitting, I have to imagine, will be a lifesaver.

Using preware beforehand, I kinda figured that would come down to personal preference. However, what do you think about the virtual keyboard patch? Do you personally think the actual keyboard is better?

This is why I've come to love webOS. Homebrew, and a fantastic community. Thanks again.
    if your going to get a Mugen Extended battery i would suggest the 2800 personally !! it last all day long with medium use and about 7to 10 with heavy use depending on what your doing . although it does make the pre3 a little fatter than its slimness lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    if your going to get a Mugen Extended battery i would suggest the 2800 personally !! it last all day long with medium use and about 7to 10 with heavy use depending on what your doing . although it does make the pre3 a little fatter than its slimness lol
    Ya, definitely gonna look into the extended batteries. I just wanna first see 1) How the phone feels without the extra bulk, and 2) How long I can make it on a single charge. I could make it an entire day on my 3GS, so we'll see.

I'm sure I won't even make it close to a full day for the first couple of weeks of owning it...
    JaakLeen likes this.
    Ya, definitely gonna look into the extended batteries. I just wanna first see 1) How the phone feels without the extra bulk, and 2) How long I can make it on a single charge. I could make it an entire day on my 3GS, so we'll see.

I'm sure I won't even make it close to a full day for the first couple of weeks of owning it...
    if your a heavy user bring the charger with you . when im using it heavy i dont get 4 hours before its out of charge lol ha ha
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I got my nearly New Pre3 yesterday.

For 100

Its an amazing device and i Love the hardwarekeyboard.

Webos is well designed and Multitasking is awesome.

Problem for me is the Short battery Life.
    My iPhone had more power but its ok.

The Problem with "too many cards are Open" is very annoying. I Look for a Patch to Show the Memory but could find One.also nice would be a Patch to clear the Memory.

All in all i Love my pre so far
    Alright Blumma.
    Sylo and Blumma, maybe you guys will post in a week when you feel your way around it?
    You plug your phone in?
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Ya, definitely gonna look into the extended batteries.
    Keep in mind that the 2800 is not touchstone-compatible. The 1400 IS touchstone-compatible.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    However, what do you think about the virtual keyboard patch? Do you personally think the actual keyboard is better?
    I had the vkb on my original Pre. It was one of the most useful patches available (great to have a choice of physical and virtual)! I don't have it on the Pre 3 (yet!) because there are reports on here of problems with it on the Pre 3. It's buggy and crashes -- especially when the screen reorients to horizontal. Right now it seems a hassle, and I'm not a techie. But search the forums and you'll find that there's a lot of good work being done on this. BTW, the Pre 3 has a REALLY good physical keyboard and the slider is very solid. I think problems with both of these in the original Pre lead homebrewers to pursue the vkb patch to begin with. I DO want a vkb, but I'm willing to wait a bit longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blumma View Post
    The Problem with "too many cards are Open" is very annoying. I Look for a Patch to Show the Memory but could find One.also nice would be a Patch to clear the Memory.
    Here's what you need to install to render the TMC error a distant memory: UberKernel.

There are some patches to make things smoother and less hiccupy, but UberKernel solves a lot of problems.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blumma View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Here's what you need to install to render the TMC error a distant memory: UberKernel.

There are some patches to make things smoother and less hiccupy, but UberKernel solves a lot of problems.
    Would jsTop also help out for Blumma? Or, as you said, memory issues would just be a thing of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Woosh View Post
    Alright Blumma.
    Sylo and Blumma, maybe you guys will post in a week when you feel your way around it?
    Definitely! Should be getting it in the mail this week. I'll let you know how everything goes.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carldc View Post
    I had the vkb on my original Pre. It was one of the most useful patches available (great to have a choice of physical and virtual)! I don't have it on the Pre 3 (yet!) because there are reports on here of problems with it on the Pre 3. It's buggy and crashes -- especially when the screen reorients to horizontal. Right now it seems a hassle, and I'm not a techie. But search the forums and you'll find that there's a lot of good work being done on this. BTW, the Pre 3 has a REALLY good physical keyboard and the slider is very solid. I think problems with both of these in the original Pre lead homebrewers to pursue the vkb patch to begin with. I DO want a vkb, but I'm willing to wait a bit longer.
    Yea, from what everyone has said, it is the best keyboard on a phone. I've just grown accustomed to a vkb for the last 4 years. I'm sure there will be times where I'll just want to do a quick reply, rather than pop out the keyboard. I'll just wait until there's a solid version out there before tinkering with that.

What patches should i install to make everything smoother?

I just have installed unthrottle download to get more bandwidth.

I read that uberkernel dont solve memory Problems.

Is it worth to install? I think if yes than i will install it

I look also for a Patch to lock the Phone if i close the Keyboard. Would be a nice Feature

Also a Patch via preware to use browser with iPhone User Agent. At the moment there is just a Way via PC
    Uberkernel is a definite. It helps with the 'too many cards' error. You could try the warthog one too. Really great!
    Definitely try the faster card animations and system control patches.
    With just the kernel, it seems pretty nice stock :-)

Sent from my Touchpad. Booyah.
    Preware is AWESOME!!!!
    For maximum smoothness....

Kernel:
    UberKernel

Apps:
    JSTop (turn on automatic garbage collection)

Patches:
    Increase Touch Sensitivity and Smoothness
    Mojo FPS Booster
    Mojo Smooth Scrolling
    Muffle System Logging

ShiftyAxel has made some other Mojo tweak patches, but the above have been enough to satisfy me as far as smoothness is concerned.

Everything else (like the faster cards animations) is purely perceptual.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I just took the plunge and bought my dad a pre 3 not a good deal but it was for verizon and it seems that supplies are almost out. I'm a wp7 user but I've had a pixi and a pre plus in the past as a phone to get me by. I might have jumped on board and stayed if hp released the pre 3 for verizon but we all know how that went. I own a touchpad and love it. But I'm really excited to see the pre 3. I got him the carbon fiber skinomi skin for both his pre 3 and touchpad and they all should be here the same day so I'm really excited
    For maximum smoothness....

Kernel:
    UberKernel

Apps:
    JSTop (turn on automatic garbage collection)

Patches:
    Increase Touch Sensitivity and Smoothness
    Mojo FPS Booster
    Mojo Smooth Scrolling
    Muffle System Logging

ShiftyAxel has made some other Mojo tweak patches, but the above have been enough to satisfy me as far as smoothness is concerned.

Everything else (like the faster cards animations) is purely perceptual.

You mean Raster Card Animation is more a Placebo ? Gg

The patches you 've mentioned sound very interesting. I will gibt them a try.

And today i will try uberkernel to solve the TMC Problem.
    For cases - I have found that the blackberry Torch (the one with the same form factor) is exactly the same size so pouches made for that are perfect for the pre 3 and the build quality is good also.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast