Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylo View Post
    Yea, from what everyone has said, it is the best keyboard on a phone. I've just grown accustomed to a vkb for the last 4 years. I'm sure there will be times where I'll just want to do a quick reply, rather than pop out the keyboard. I'll just wait until there's a solid version out there before tinkering with that.
    The virtual keyboard is very good, on my pre2 anyway, he did a lot of work to stabilize it. It is great for just type, and short text messages. Give it a try, you can always uninstall it, but I doubt you will.

Also, right now its only for portrait mode, so rotating the phone will cause a crash. Luckily they now have a patch to turn off accelerometer in the device dropdown menu. Pretty sweet.
    Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    I finally did it. I found an AT&T Pre 3 for a decent price on eBay.

I've been actively reading the touchpad forums for awhile now, but I know zero about the Pre. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on what I should do first. Is preware set up for the Pre 3? Uberkernel? I'm gonna hit the forums shortly, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Thanks everyone!
    Just be careful with the clock speeds on Uberk. The 1.9 can (literally because of heat) burn out your battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blumma View Post
    You mean Raster Card Animation is more a Placebo ? Gg
    Yep.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smackead View Post
    Uberkernel is a definite. It helps with the 'too many cards' error. You could try the warthog one too. Really great!
    Definitely try the faster card animations and system control patches.
    With just the kernel, it seems pretty nice stock :-)
    Definitely doing Uberkernel. I first want to see how the phone is stock. I doubt I'm gonna max it out, but as Derek said, it will make the TMC errors history.

Does the system control patch act like a pull down menu like how I've seen on Android phones?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Patches:
    Muffle System Logging

Derek, I just finished reading this thread: Camera not working
    There were a couple people in there that had the same issue with that patch supposedly killing their camera. Have you, or anyone else, experienced that problem?

Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    The virtual keyboard is very good, on my pre2 anyway, he did a lot of work to stabilize it. It is great for just type, and short text messages. Give it a try, you can always uninstall it, but I doubt you will.

Also, right now its only for portrait mode, so rotating the phone will cause a crash. Luckily they now have a patch to turn off accelerometer in the device dropdown menu. Pretty sweet.
    That's exactly why I want the patch. When I'm at work, I don't want to have to bust the keyboard out for a quick reply. When you talk about the dropdown menu, is that part of the system control patches, or is that built in? I'm just getting anxious. I just want my phone here now...
    Derek, I just finished reading this thread: Camera not working
    There were a couple people in there that had the same issue with that patch supposedly killing their camera. Have you, or anyone else, experienced that problem?
    I have not. From the looks of things in that thread I'd guess that the problem wasn't caused by Muffle System Logging. The patch may interfere with camera operation, but it's not going to break things in a way that the Doctor won't fix. You can install it, and if you have problems, remove it.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    unfortunately there are only 3 pre3's left on ebay for verizon users...and $500 minimum price.

I feel like I'm getting forced away from webOS...
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    unfortunately there are only 3 pre3's left on ebay for verizon users...and $500 minimum price.

I feel like I'm getting forced away from webOS...
    Not to start a service provider war...but is there any particular reason you're staying with Verizon? I had them way back when, but then the iPhone went to AT&T, and so did I. I know they have spotty service in some areas, but I guess I was one of the lucky ones with no bad coverage black holes.

Only reason I have loyalty to any of these companies is the phones they carry. I considered switching to Verizon for the Galaxy Nexus, but I'm still not convinced with Android. I've hated every iteration thus far, but ICS could be different.

Not really an issue for me now, since I just bought a new phone =)
    few reasons for verizon.

everyone in my family has verizon.

best phone service...sometimes we forget, but these are smartPHONES.

customer service is outstanding.

I'm grandfathered in to "unlimited" data

and lastly...22 % discount.

to be honest, their lack of support for palm and then hp has been irritating,crippling of gps infuriating, but the above factors outweigh transferring to another carrier.
    Yeah I've thought about switching to at&t for a phone (nokia lumia 900) and my dad too (pre 3) but around my area Verizon rules supreme. I just bought one of those $500 Verizon pre 3's for him and can't wait to try it out before he does. I thought about making an offer on 1 but there was 9 other offers so I said screw it I'm getting 1 before they're all gone. I also got him a matching skinomi skin matching his touchpad and pre 3 so I can't wait to see how everything looks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blumma View Post
    I got my nearly New Pre3 yesterday.

For 100

Its an amazing device and i Love the hardwarekeyboard.

Webos is well designed and Multitasking is awesome.

Problem for me is the Short battery Life.
    My iPhone had more power but its ok.

The Problem with "too many cards are Open" is very annoying. I Look for a Patch to Show the Memory but could find One.also nice would be a Patch to clear the Memory.

All in all i Love my pre so far
    Can you tell me where did you get it so cheap? I'm looking for one my self, but since I allready own a Galaxy Note I'm lookin for something cheap, just to play with.
    today i installed the uberpatch but i could not recognize any performance improvement.
    because one of the patches before "killed" the TMC errors.

i think the mojo patches worked very well.

performance is very nice at the moment!

but battery life ..... wow.... thats horrible gg

i think 12 hours then its over
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Ok, so I wanted to give an update after 2 days of using the Pre 3 stock.

I am very impressed. This is a solid phone. I thought I wouldn't like the keyboard, but it's actually growing on me. Holding the phone feels natural. webOS, even without any patches added, runs exceptionally well. There have been a couple of hiccups...

I blame this on a couple of things, but the battery on day 1 was terrible. I was freaking out, because the battery died by 1pm with mild to moderate use. I synced everything the night before, but I'm sure there were a couple of things going on there to kill the battery. Also, I had the mail check my gmail account every hour. I changed that to manual, and day 2 got me through an entire work day with battery to spare.

Touchstone is awesome. Carldc, I know you had a link about fixing the touchstone for the Pre 3, but I think as is, it works fine. Sure, the magnets might not be as strong as the Pre 2s connection, but for home and work desk, its just fine (I bought 2!)

Syncing it to my Touchpad is very cool. Texts came through with no issues whatsoever. Voice was an expected issue, but I was told that everything sounded echo-ey on the other end.

I just installed preware, and I'll give my opinions on all the patches later. I know a lot of people hate on webOS, but this really is a great phone. I will admit, some things aren't as intuitive as the iPhone, but there is a trade off. Worlds better than Gingerbread, in my opinion.
    Sylo, what are the things that are not as intuitive as ios?
    Not to start a service provider war...but is there any particular reason you're staying with Verizon? I had them way back when, but then the iPhone went to AT&T, and so did I. I know they have spotty service in some areas, but I guess I was one of the lucky ones with no bad coverage black holes.

Only reason I have loyalty to any of these companies is the phones they carry. I considered switching to Verizon for the Galaxy Nexus, but I'm still not convinced with Android. I've hated every iteration thus far, but ICS could be different.

Not really an issue for me now, since I just bought a new phone =)

Yeah dont have any carrier loyalty , not worth it. Why stay with verizon though. Cool Blackberry phones aare going to for sure ATT. Id buy time for a Blackberry phone if stuck with verizon. 500 bucks is too my for the pre 3. imo
    Ok, so I wanted to give an update after 2 days of using the Pre 3 stock.

I am very impressed. This is a solid phone. I thought I wouldn't like the keyboard, but it's actually growing on me. Holding the phone feels natural. webOS, even without any patches added, runs exceptionally well. There have been a couple of hiccups...

I blame this on a couple of things, but the battery on day 1 was terrible. I was freaking out, because the battery died by 1pm with mild to moderate use. I synced everything the night before, but I'm sure there were a couple of things going on there to kill the battery. Also, I had the mail check my gmail account every hour. I changed that to manual, and day 2 got me through an entire work day with battery to spare.

Touchstone is awesome. Carldc, I know you had a link about fixing the touchstone for the Pre 3, but I think as is, it works fine. Sure, the magnets might not be as strong as the Pre 2s connection, but for home and work desk, its just fine (I bought 2!)

Syncing it to my Touchpad is very cool. Texts came through with no issues whatsoever. Voice was an expected issue, but I was told that everything sounded echo-ey on the other end.

I just installed preware, and I'll give my opinions on all the patches later. I know a lot of people hate on webOS, but this really is a great phone. I will admit, some things aren't as intuitive as the iPhone, but there is a trade off. Worlds better than Gingerbread, in my opinion.

The battery needs calibrated so first couple days will be bad performance. Needs to discharge and charge 100 percent a couple times to calibrate. Same thing with laptop batterys.

Take off the plastic ring on the touchstone for the pre 3. Works great that way. You can snap it back on in the future if you need too lol
    The first pre3 week is over

I 've mixed feelings about this wonderfull piece of hardware

First of all the Keyboard is very impressive and very nice to use.

The Software is also very nice to use. I Love this Card view and the swipe gestures too.
    The lack of apps is no problem for me cause i just need a Good twitter App. (Carbon is cool) and the Standard Apps like Mail, browser and calendar.

The Performance is also very nice the most Time. But if i Open the Browser the whole System slows down and everything takes very long. The response of everything is a pain in the ***. If i close the Browser it takes a moment and After that everything works fine.

I've installed these patches

#faster Card Animations
    #Mojo FPS Booster
    # Mojo Smooth Scrolling
    #Mojo Tab Responsivness (i'm Not sure if there is a better performance because of this patch)
    #System Control Optimization
    #uberkernel but Not overclocked. I also installed govnah but use the standardprofile without any overclocking

All in all the pre3 is a very Good device and i'm happy with it. But the Performance issues are a Problem for me. I just want a fluid and smooth System with a small number of Apps to work
    Last edited by Blumma; 02/25/2012 at 06:39 AM.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Sylo, what are the things that are not as intuitive as ios?
    Ya know, there isn't a lot. I consider myself a more advanced user, so I personally don't have a problem using any phone software. But for example:

Take the phone app. On iOS, if you want to call somebody, you just tap on the phone, and if the person you are calling isn't in your favorites, you can just hit the contacts tab in the app. On webOS, if the person isn't in your favorites, you can either hope that they just recently called you, or you could put the phone app in card mode, open your contacts app, and find them that way. Or of course, you could just open the contacts app first. Neither way is a problem, to say the least. And most of the time, the person I'm calling is in my favorites, anyway.

Speaking of contacts, I love the way that app works. After using the touchpad, the contacts app was a big selling point for me on the Pre 3. I really like how you can pull in your facebook contacts, and after I uploaded all my iOS contacts to gmail, merging profiles together was a breeze. I know WP7 does this as well, but I don't have any experience with those phones. Oh, also, a simple trick I came up with. If you have a lot of friends on Facebook that aren't really friends you want in your contacts, what I did was just create a Facebook acquaintances profile, and merged all those people in it. Problem solved. No more looking at my friends pets, wondering when the last time I called Spot was.

Text messages. On iOS, a conversation stays open forever. In webOS, I found that if I didn't make or receive a text from someone within a day or so, I would get this message: Messages can no longer be sent or received in this conversation. No problem of course, but it was nice just opening a text and going straight to a conversation.

Cut/Copy/Paste. iOS, tap and hold. Touchpad is the same, but on the Pre 3, I admit, I'm a little lost. I think I have to hold shift and tap, but all that does is highlight the entire paragraph.

This isn't me complaining about webOS. I actually prefer it to my iPhone. I love the cards and multitasking so much more than the iOS way of double tapping the home button. And throwing an app off the screen is more intuitive than, once again, double tapping the home button, holding an app until it starts dancing, then hitting the tiny red minus sign to "close" it. Synergy rocks. Notifications are so much better. I was honestly surprised when I got a facebook notification pop up the first time. Just type is just as good on the Pre 3 as it is on the Touchpad. And Preware...after installing some patches the other night, I have noticed a big difference in just about everything. I haven't made a donation yet, but that will definitely happen soon.

After I use it some more, I'll be back to update my "review" of the phone. Oh, one last thing...I do miss visual voicemail. Any suggestions on an alternative? I have a google voice number, so I could definitely forward my voicemail to that. GVoice looks like it could be a cool app, since it has Pre and Touchpad support.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead777 View Post
    Yeah dont have any carrier loyalty , not worth it. Why stay with verizon though. Cool Blackberry phones aare going to for sure ATT. Id buy time for a Blackberry phone if stuck with verizon. 500 bucks is too my for the pre 3. imo
    Every carrier has their pros and cons. Verizon has rock solid 3G coverage most of the time. But...no concurrent data and voice. Thats big for me. I know that eventually they'll have it, but not right now.

Sprint still has unlimited everything. Plus...I own their stock, so...go Sprint!

AT&T, well, I don't know if the others have this feature, but I can call any mobile number on any carrier, and its a free call. On our family plan with 4 smartphones, and one feature phone, we pay around $230 a month.

Like I said before, I would go to where the phones are. That's why I left Verizon. Back in 07, every Verizon phone had the same crappy software running on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead777 View Post
    The battery needs calibrated so first couple days will be bad performance. Needs to discharge and charge 100 percent a couple times to calibrate. Same thing with laptop batterys.

Take off the plastic ring on the touchstone for the pre 3. Works great that way. You can snap it back on in the future if you need too lol
    So you're saying let it die completely? Shouldn't be a problem. And removing the plastic ring will give the magnets a better connection? Worth a shot.
    Sylo, as long as you don't have a "Lite" Google Voice account that was a ported in phone number from a cell carrier -- ie, your Google Voice account does allow text messaging -- then GVoice is pretty useful. I haven't tested it on the "Lite" accounts to see what is useful, because I've only located exactly one person that has that, and he wouldn't let me login to his account to try it.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    If you want to call someone, you don't have to do any of the things you mention. (You can of course but it's unnecessary). Just open the keyboard and start typing the name; the contact comes up and you can choose either the name or the number and it dials directly. IOS is a copy of what WebOS does. You don't need favourites, you don't need to open the phone or contact app.....Just type on the home screen....

My text messages stay in the text message app forever, there might be a setting you have that is deleting but mine are always there in a continuous thread. I'm talking years worth.

Cut/copy/paste works also but best to read the help file on that and practice Because IOS is still under development, it does do that better BUT webos works, it's just different and you need to get used to it. It's more similar to keyboard shortcuts from the PC.

You just need time to figure out the subtle but very efficient way things work... I like it soooo much more than any of the idevices I have to help my wife use all the time. For a supposedly simple systems there sure are a lot of problems with IOS. (just saying....)

Ya know, there isn't a lot. I consider myself a more advanced user, so I personally don't have a problem using any phone software. But for example:

Take the phone app. On iOS, if you want to call somebody, you just tap on the phone, and if the person you are calling isn't in your favorites, you can just hit the contacts tab in the app. On webOS, if the person isn't in your favorites, you can either hope that they just recently called you, or you could put the phone app in card mode, open your contacts app, and find them that way. Or of course, you could just open the contacts app first. Neither way is a problem, to say the least. And most of the time, the person I'm calling is in my favorites, anyway.

Speaking of contacts, I love the way that app works. After using the touchpad, the contacts app was a big selling point for me on the Pre 3. I really like how you can pull in your facebook contacts, and after I uploaded all my iOS contacts to gmail, merging profiles together was a breeze. I know WP7 does this as well, but I don't have any experience with those phones. Oh, also, a simple trick I came up with. If you have a lot of friends on Facebook that aren't really friends you want in your contacts, what I did was just create a Facebook acquaintances profile, and merged all those people in it. Problem solved. No more looking at my friends pets, wondering when the last time I called Spot was.

Text messages. On iOS, a conversation stays open forever. In webOS, I found that if I didn't make or receive a text from someone within a day or so, I would get this message: Messages can no longer be sent or received in this conversation. No problem of course, but it was nice just opening a text and going straight to a conversation.

Cut/Copy/Paste. iOS, tap and hold. Touchpad is the same, but on the Pre 3, I admit, I'm a little lost. I think I have to hold shift and tap, but all that does is highlight the entire paragraph.

This isn't me complaining about webOS. I actually prefer it to my iPhone. I love the cards and multitasking so much more than the iOS way of double tapping the home button. And throwing an app off the screen is more intuitive than, once again, double tapping the home button, holding an app until it starts dancing, then hitting the tiny red minus sign to "close" it. Synergy rocks. Notifications are so much better. I was honestly surprised when I got a facebook notification pop up the first time. Just type is just as good on the Pre 3 as it is on the Touchpad. And Preware...after installing some patches the other night, I have noticed a big difference in just about everything. I haven't made a donation yet, but that will definitely happen soon.

After I use it some more, I'll be back to update my "review" of the phone. Oh, one last thing...I do miss visual voicemail. Any suggestions on an alternative? I have a google voice number, so I could definitely forward my voicemail to that. GVoice looks like it could be a cool app, since it has Pre and Touchpad support.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast