webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > pre3 cuts out and reboots randomly
pre3 cuts out and reboots randomly
Like Tree19Likes

Old 02/17/2012, 05:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hi,

Recently (past couple of days) my pre3 has been randomly rebooting, i get a black block on the screen rest of screen fades out and phone reboots. Its really wierd almost like its loosing power then rebooting itself straight away.

Has anyone encountered this before or is it a send it back to HP for a repair job? all tests appear to show everything working fine

Thanks
justifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2012, 05:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

is it overclocked?
custom kernel, if so which?
tried removing the battery and refitting it?
is it running 2.2.4 or earlier?

any other useful info like extra background apps you run as standard, stuff like modeswitcher and the likes?

more detailed you are the more people can poke at a potential suspect.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2012, 06:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

no overclocking,
no uber kernal,
treid battery remove and reset not fixed it.
running 2.2.4

no new installs in past couple of days only background app is Spaz ver: 2.0.15 i havn't yet Dr'd it as I havn't done any software installs recently. The strange part is that it only happens when I am at work. I think thats just a coincidence, or that when i have it at home it spends most of its time on the touchstone.

Is there anyway of pulling out logs?
Old 02/18/2012, 05:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

im no expert on battery related matter, i wonder is Dr battery or Govnah would report you soem battery drain statistics.

btw the likes of Uberkernel wont do it any harm, might even help it a bit, tho maybe not in the battery department, govnah (once u have uberkernel) can do some handy battery saving tricks by way of altering the pre3 a little in the way it behaves when using normally and when turning off the screen to help save battery power.

I believe govnah also has a graph type facility to show cpu overhead and also battery current/useage, it may show you random total cutouts, and also the temperature.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2012, 05:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

i have been meaning to uberkernel it for a little while now. i think its a send it back to HP job, as i t seems to do it under no strain, when i get it back i shall hopefully get round to it.
Old 03/08/2012, 12:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Mine has started doing a similar thing in the last week, and likewise I cannot associate it with anything I have done.
Correction - I started using Netstat at about the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justifier View Post
The strange part is that it only happens when I am at work. I think thats just a coincidence, or that when i have it at home it spends most of its time on the touchstone.
I have noticed the same thing - it only happens when at work, whether on USB charge or not (no touchstone there).
Several additional observations
- it sometimes restarts at turn on or at first touch action
- I don't think it ever dies if in aeroplane mode
- Netstat is showing higher than expected wireless traffic, possibly correlating with the restarts.

I think I will try removing Netstat.
Dalezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2012, 06:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalezz View Post
Mine has started doing a similar thing in the last week - it only happens when at work, I don't think it ever dies if in aeroplane mode
Can it be that there's a wireless network (cellular, even) that is saying such stupid things that your phone commits suicide? That would mean there's something very wrong at, maybe, protocol level. But folks around you should have problems too in their non-unicorn phones. That, or your Pre 3 has a very delicate radio driver, which shouldn't.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/2012, 02:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Got the same problem and don't have netstat. What's the solution folks?
gregp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/2012, 07:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

I am still having the reset problem but have narrowed down the factors.
The only place I have ever observed the effect is at my work place - including in the car park.
I have never seen the reset problem if data is off (phone only) or if the unit is on.
i.e. The three conditions required for my phone to spontaenously reset are (1) I must be at my workplace, (2) the phone must have data (e.g. 3G) enabled, and (3) the unit must have been off for a short while.

When I am at work I prevent the problem by turning data off, and temporarily turning it on if I want to for example check my email. It's a personal phone, not for work use, so not having data on probably improves my work productivity
And it has improved the battery life
Old 04/13/2012, 08:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

Happened to me last night, worst of all the clock was off by more than two hours after the reboot. I'm back using a mechanical alarm clock now...
I had those random reboots before, no more than three or four times though. The log files don't show any obvious errors but the timestamps suggest that they always happen around the time HPs automatic Backup kicks in (around 2 AM in my case). That also might explain the higher traffic some are experiencing...
grinsekatze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/2012, 10:25 AM   #11 (permalink)

@Dalezz

if the issue for you is limited to a specific location, my speculation would be that somehow the signal cell that's covering that area is adding some extra signal alongside the rest.

Just to make a test ... turn off Network time...
mazzinia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/2012, 02:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

mine is different. if i dont enable data. phone would work normally. but if EDGE or 3G is ON then phone shut down randomly.
*edit* and i cant even turn on the phone after shutdown. i have to remove the battery and reinsert it to turn it on.

Last edited by nick86; 04/13/2012 at 03:34 PM.
nick86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/14/2012, 03:20 AM   #13 (permalink)

facing the same reboot issue when data is on, any solutions?
Rn4902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/14/2012, 04:33 AM   #14 (permalink)

Mine seems related to network activity. It's happened when opening a SMS, placing a call and when launching Preware when it starts downloading the feeds.

Last edited by gregp; 04/22/2012 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Deleted misleading error log
gregp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/14/2012, 05:34 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinsekatze View Post
Happened to me last night, worst of all the clock was off by more than two hours after the reboot. I'm back using a mechanical alarm clock now...
I don't have an issue with the clock - I have it automatically set to network time.
Old 04/14/2012, 05:36 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick86 View Post
mine is different. if i dont enable data. phone would work normally. but if EDGE or 3G is ON then phone shut down randomly.
*edit* and i cant even turn on the phone after shutdown. i have to remove the battery and reinsert it to turn it on.
Same conditions for me, but mine restarts correctly rather than shutting down.
Old 04/14/2012, 08:29 PM   #17 (permalink)

Same issue here. It does seem to stop when data is turned off. I've experimented with disabling autosync stuff like network time, FB, email etc to no effect. Wifi, BT and GPS are off.

webOS 2.2.4, uberkernel and some other homebrew patches are installed. It started last week on my first day of using the phone (it's an AT&T unit I bought from Canada, using it on Telstra in Australia). The first time I saw it happen was while trying to USB tether to my work computer. At that point I believe the only extra things I had installed were Preware and FreeTether.

It occasionally does it when using the browser too. Click a link -> reboot.
gruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/14/2012, 10:10 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruso View Post
Same issue here. It does seem to stop when data is turned off. I've experimented with disabling autosync stuff like network time, FB, email etc to no effect. Wifi, BT and GPS are off.

webOS 2.2.4, uberkernel and some other homebrew patches are installed. It started last week on my first day of using the phone (it's an AT&T unit I bought from Canada, using it on Telstra in Australia). The first time I saw it happen was while trying to USB tether to my work computer. At that point I believe the only extra things I had installed were Preware and FreeTether.

It occasionally does it when using the browser too. Click a link -> reboot.
Interesting. Mine too is an AT&T unit, using it on Telstra in Australia.
Similar modifications/patches too.
Old 04/15/2012, 09:52 AM   #19 (permalink)

Guys, I also have an AT&T pre 3 on Telstra, and it is also constantly rebooting. However, it seems to exclusively occur on Saturdays. Thoughts anyone? I also have a few basic patches and uberkernal. That issue combined with the WiFi issue almost makes the phone unbearable to use.
veyron431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/15/2012, 02:29 PM   #20 (permalink)

My Pre3 Started doing that. I noticed it only did it with the Mugen 1400 mAh battery was installed. I have shifted to the Mugen to be my backup and not my primary and have had no other occurrences. May be coincidence but the Mugen battery was a TIGHT fit.
gsparks2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, pre3, reboot

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0