Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    So is the the potential solution in order,

1) Modem firmware update (Rex)

2) Adjust WebOS to reflect adjustments in Rex?
    1) REX is created by Qualcomm, not HP.

2) Not possible.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

2) Not possible.

-- Rod
    Option 3 Move back to Voda

Blackberry owners had a similar problem on Voda last year Blackberry Storm broken - due to ACT network? - Vodafone Community took Vodafone 2 months to issue update
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    So would that mean an OTA would NOT be able to fix this problem? I know Nokias had a problem like this some time ago and a firmware update fixed the problem.
    if not an OTA a Doctor can do it no problems
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    OK..... so that being the case is it just a matter of someone knowing what to change and changing the code in the doctor? I got the impression there are modified doctors out there. Or is that not possible unless you're within HP?
    updating the firmware is a trivial task its a one line in command line on the phone once you have the firmware on the phone itself

so not even a doctor is needed, just need a working firmware
    Last edited by hewball; 05/09/2012 at 10:28 PM.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    So....... perhaps I'm blind but what are we missing then? We've got the ability to change the one line of problematic code in the firmware already (via your Qualcomm tools), we've also got a separate working firmware (the EU version) and the ability to get it on the phone (via the doctor). What's the missing link?
    Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    So....... perhaps I'm blind but what are we missing then? We've got the ability to change the one line of problematic code in the firmware already (via your Qualcomm tools), we've also got a separate working firmware (the EU version) and the ability to get it on the phone (via the doctor). What's the missing link?

we can debug, we dont have the code for the firmware, we have a code to flash it to a phone

the EU firmware has the same problems so this is no help (i have tested both versions)

the missing link is a working firmware from Qualcomm
    Qualcomm tools change the modem configuration, not the modem firmware executable code.

I doubt there is anyone still around in HP who has the ability to change the REX code, if they in fact ever did have the source code for REX.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    So the 'ideal' process would be we report the fault to HP, they ask Qualcomm for a new firmware, Qualcomm delivers this back to HP and they push it out in an OTA? Or would it have to be installed via USB? I figured OTA was just like installing a new kernel.
    So the 'ideal' process would be we report the fault to HP, they ask Qualcomm for a new firmware, Qualcomm delivers this back to HP and they push it out in an OTA? Or would it have to be installed via USB? I figured OTA was just like installing a new kernel.
    It could be done OTA or Doctor, or manually. It's much more involved than a new kernel, but doable pretty easily via each of those methods.

The issue is not applying it, the issue is getting fixed code (which as I said earlier is binary, proprietary and encrypted).

The one person I knew at HP who would have had a chance of being able to diagnose something like this is long gone (when they laid off the hardware team some months ago).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Any chance you could still contact that person and see if they have any other contacts inside HP who could do it? So far I've hit a wall every time I've tried to sort this out via a HP support chat / phone call, no-one seems interested 'device is not released, we have no information, very sorry'
    Any chance you could still contact that person and see if they have any other contacts inside HP who could do it? So far I've hit a wall every time I've tried to sort this out via a HP support chat / phone call, no-one seems interested 'device is not released, we have no information, very sorry'
    All I had was a HP email address, which is no longer valid.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Have you considered sending an email with a well drafted case plus all the relevant informations and the required actions HP would have to do ( call qualcomm... ) directly to the current CEO email address ?

It's openly available, and due to policies the email would be filed, and answered officially.
    Hi..
    How you get the logs from the modem? Because i think the same problem it's on Veer 2.2.3/2.2.4...
    Thanks..
    Quote Originally Posted by wMarck90 View Post
    Hi..
    How you get the logs from the modem? Because i think the same problem it's on Veer 2.2.3/2.2.4...
    Thanks..
    Yup I am curious about this as well, so we can do the same for the Veer to see if we can pinpoint the problem.

Would it be an option to extract the baseband/REX from another phone using the exact same Qualcomm chipset?
    A reply from another forum, not sure if it helps / makes sense ?

"The major change around at that time on TElstra was the enabling of U-TRAN Routing Areas, which is unique among all Australian networks.
    Perhaps this has flushed out a baseband bug?
    The last time I roamed Mexico's Telcel (In the D.F. & estado de Mexico regions) (May 2011), this feature was not enabled. But this may have changed."

http://www.tu-ilmenau.de/fileadmin/p...dures-ws11.pdf
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wMarck90 View Post
    Hi..
    Thanks..
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Yup I am curious about this as well, so we can do the same for the Veer to see if we can pinpoint the problem.

Would it be an option to extract the baseband/REX from another phone using the exact same Qualcomm chipset?
    Read from about page 4 on this thread. Hewball has Qualcomm debugging tools. I also have a Veer and am not having this problem so check that your symptoms are the same. If you're on webOS 2.2 that would be one difference but this problem is lower level than webOS.
    Read from about page 4 on this thread. Hewball has Qualcomm debugging tools. I also have a Veer and am not having this problem so check that your symptoms are the same. If you're on webOS 2.2 that would be one difference but this problem is lower level than webOS.

is your veer still the older firmware?
    Last edited by dbmgreen; 05/10/2012 at 07:31 AM.
    Thanks, I'll check that out. I'm having it on both 2.2.3 and 2.2.4 for the Veer with 3500 modem firmware. I don't recall having it with 2.1.2 though.
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast