Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hewball View Post
    Short answer is, not something we can fix, its a memory allocation problem, in the modem baseband
    so unless another one of the phones with the same chipset on telstra is having issues dont expect a fix on the network side.

i managed to pull out the Crash logs from the modem itself but i have no way of reading it
    http://hewball.com.au/files/webosmessageslog.txt
    about halfway down in my messages log of one of my crashes has the memory dump too.

both my pre3's sitting next to each other at home reboot within minutes of each other, except when they are on charge (plugged into a computer so i can debug)

so something on the network is sending, a request or notification or something maybe malformed to too large and causing the crash

Cheers Hewball
    Are you sure you're not just looking at /var/log/messages there? The structure of that log you posted, and even some of the lines of data, looks the same as my posts earlier in this thread from /var/log/messages. I would be very surprised if a modem was making calls to LunaSysManager. I likewise had some corrupted log messages around crash times but not always.

Several important questions:

1) Were you able to isolate which network frequencies this happens on? I.e. did the fault continue to happen just on 850, or just on 2100?

2) Was there any common modem log data pertaining to the crash that could identify the cause? I.e. what exactly is the phone receiving that's causing it to crash? Moving from 850 to 2100 or back? Moving from tower A to tower B? Etc. If so there's a chance a fix could be found from HP if they were willing

3) If the modem firmware needs to change, is this something an OTA could fix or would it have to be a return-to-base for repair (which for an unreleased device is out of the question I would think)?

4) What's the exact chipset code or whatever in these, and can it be determined that no other phone on the market has that? If it does, is that phone having this issue too? If so and that's a 'legitimate' Telstra phone we may have more luck getting Telstra to fix it that way. I know the Veer doesn't have this issue though I haven't checked the firmware rev on that yet.

5) If it's purely related to network activity, why does being on charge prevent the fault occurring?

6) Does anyone have a contact of someone within HP support who may be able to look at this? There seems to be an invisible wall between support and the people who actually do the work on webOS development. Alternatively hewball, since you've found all this, could you discuss it with support directly? You're probably going to have more luck with UK support than US I would think.

Back on Telstra 2G today.

Greg
    Last edited by gregp; 05/03/2012 at 06:24 PM.
    Part of the Crash log i posted in an earlier reply gives it all away

Error in file rrc :PFault , line 72

this was directly out of the modems file system

RRC is this
    Radio Resource Control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

unless i happen to get a crash while debug is running, i have no idea what it is sending/receiving to cause that crash but it has to do with UMTS so 2g should be fine

Cheers Brenton
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Thanks. Yes 2G should be fine but it's clearly a workaround as is changing carrier. I'm ultimately hoping for a solution that allows us to use 3G phones as designed on a network of choice. Any thoughts on those questions?
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    My version is the same: MU2.0.30(3004)
    I have the same issue in Perth. ATT Pre3 on Telstra, webOS 2.2.4, and radio firmware is MU2.0.30(3004). I'll try some tests of my own when I get the chance. So far all I've done is doctored it, which I guess you already know doesn't fix it.
    just for confirmation here

can everyone on their dialer type #*72346# and dial and post your modem firmware version, trying to see if any differences

Cheers Brenton
    Same prob as everyone else on telstra

MU2.0.30(3503)
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    Same prob as everyone else on telstra

MU2.0.30(3503)
    I have the same version on my EU Pre 3 running without crashes on Vodaphone
    did anyone else notice battery life dramatically improved right around the time the crashes started?
    did anyone else notice battery life dramatically improved right around the time the crashes started?
    An older thread, but does't look good for us, unless someone in telstra wants to support a handful of Pre3 customers in Australia

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum....cfm?t=1744400

Network Upgrades & Nokia Mobile Handsets - Telstra
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    No. All I noticed was battery life and call quality dramatically got worse when I went across to Vodafone.

Hewball, any thoughts on those six questions? I think those are critical to finding the answers to our question, would really appreciate your comments particularly if 850 only fixed the problem.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    An older thread, but does't look good for us, unless someone in telstra wants to support a handful of Pre3 customers in Australia

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum....cfm?t=1744400

Network Upgrades & Nokia Mobile Handsets - Telstra
    Yeah I believe that was to do with the 1800MHz 2G network related to 4G rollout on the same frequency.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    Are you sure you're not just looking at /var/log/messages there? The structure of that log you posted, and even some of the lines of data, looks the same as my posts earlier in this thread from /var/log/messages. I would be very surprised if a modem was making calls to LunaSysManager. I likewise had some corrupted log messages around crash times but not always.

Several important questions:

1) Were you able to isolate which network frequencies this happens on? I.e. did the fault continue to happen just on 850, or just on 2100?

2) Was there any common modem log data pertaining to the crash that could identify the cause? I.e. what exactly is the phone receiving that's causing it to crash? Moving from 850 to 2100 or back? Moving from tower A to tower B? Etc. If so there's a chance a fix could be found from HP if they were willing

3) If the modem firmware needs to change, is this something an OTA could fix or would it have to be a return-to-base for repair (which for an unreleased device is out of the question I would think)?

4) What's the exact chipset code or whatever in these, and can it be determined that no other phone on the market has that? If it does, is that phone having this issue too? If so and that's a 'legitimate' Telstra phone we may have more luck getting Telstra to fix it that way. I know the Veer doesn't have this issue though I haven't checked the firmware rev on that yet.

5) If it's purely related to network activity, why does being on charge prevent the fault occurring?

6) Does anyone have a contact of someone within HP support who may be able to look at this? There seems to be an invisible wall between support and the people who actually do the work on webOS development. Alternatively hewball, since you've found all this, could you discuss it with support directly? You're probably going to have more luck with UK support than US I would think.

Greg

Common to Both As its Not Frequency Based

I have a crash log i have no way of reading, happy to post it up for anyone else, but the report says the same thing every time

OTA would fix it, but that i believe is upto HP/Qualcomm

Its a Snapdragon S2 MSM8255T

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapdragon_(system_on_chip)

Its part of RRC , which is part of the UMTS WCDMA standard that is on these phone, RRC has "sleep" controll functionality, hence on power it wont accept/send the sleeping commands

happy to provide crash logs if anyone can find someone that can decode them

Cheers Brenton
    Last edited by hewball; 05/05/2012 at 05:30 AM.
    from the RRC wikipedia page

most notable the last sentence, id say Voda either dont use it or have different settings that dont cause the Memory Overlow issue

RRC inactivity timers

The configuration of RRC inactivity timers in a W-CDMA network has considerable impact on the battery life of a phone when a packet data connection is open.[2]
    The RRC idle mode (no connection) has the lowest energy consumption. The states in the RRC connected mode, in order of decreasing power consumption, are CELL_DCH (Dedicated Channel), CELL_FACH (Forward access channel), CELL_PCH (Cell Paging channel) and URA_PCH (URA Paging channel). The power consumption in the CELL_FACH is roughly 50 percent of that in CELL_DCH, and the PCH states use about 1-2 percent of the power consumption of the CELL_DCH state.[2]
    The transitions to lower energy consuming states occur when inactivity timers trigger. The T1 timer controls transition from DCH to FACH, the T2 timer controls transition from FACH to PCH, and the T3 timer controls transition from PCH to idle.[2]
    Different operators have different configurations for the inactivity timers, which leads to differences in energy consumption [3]. Another factor is that not all operators use the PCH states [2].
    If it helps, I am on Telstra with an AT&T Pre 3 (Radio Firmware: MU2.0.30(3004)) and am NOT having any of the problems people are listing.

Again, if it helps, I rarely use data as I am nearly always in range of WiFi.

-- Chris
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    just for confirmation here

can everyone on their dialer type #*72346# and dial and post your modem firmware version, trying to see if any differences

Cheers Brenton
    I mentioned early in this thread my wife's Veer doesn't have this problem. The Veer modem firmware is:

BU1.9.15(264)

so definitely different to the Pre3 and is another tick in the direction we're discussing.

I've counted 16 Pre 3's in this thread reported as having this issue.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    I have put my Telstra sim in my Eu Pre3, so I will get Edge or 2100 MHz data only. Has this set up been tested? Its MU2.0.30(3503)
    Quote Originally Posted by PreRunr View Post
    I have put my Telstra sim in my Eu Pre3, so I will get Edge or 2100 MHz data only. Has this set up been tested? Its MU2.0.30(3503)
    it has not been tested, but as the EU version of the firmware causes the same problem here on the ATT phone, i expect it to have the same problems,

but yes 2100 would work for 3G on that phone
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Five hours gone and no reboot so far. However I am not moving around Adelaide and live in the CBD. I have turned off wifi and 3G is showing. On the AT&T phone I had wifi on, did not move and it still rebooted. But not as often when as I was driving with the bluetooth telling me the link was lost then on again

Update: now 13 more hours and no reboot even when I was driving.
    Last edited by PreRunr; 05/06/2012 at 10:44 PM. Reason: More data
    Hi all,
    Just popping in to add another name to the list.
    I'm in Melbourne with an AT&T Pre3 and I've got the same rebooting issue.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Over 24 hours on Telstra SIM with an EU Pre3 and not seen any reboots. I see that that it s a MU2.0.30(3503) vs MU2.0.30(3004) for the AT&T version, suggests an upgraded version. The other difference is that the Telstra 850 MHz link is not being used only the 2100 MHz for data.
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast