Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    just for confirmation here

can everyone on their dialer type #*72346# and dial and post your modem firmware version, trying to see if any differences

Cheers Brenton
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Nice to have a few companions in misery!

Vodafone 850M SIM no problems so far. Normally I would have had multiple restarts. Not that I want to stick with Vodafone, the network isn't as stable as Telstra but at some point I'll have to make a call.

@hewball: Thanks for getting going with this. My firmware version is MU2.0.30(3004). Will be very interested to read what you come up with. Hopefully you're not just capturing the contents of /var/log/messages because I've already gone through that earlier in this thread and there's nothing of interest there.
    Last edited by gregp; 05/03/2012 at 12:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    @hewball: Thanks for getting going with this.
    +1

My version is the same: MU2.0.30(3004)
    found this in the Filesystem of the "modem"

if only i knew how to interpret it... hmmm

ERR crash log report. Version 3.

Error in file rrc :PFault , line 72
    Time of crash (m-d-y h:m:s): 05-02-2012 14:30:43
    Uptime (h:m:s): 0:08:32
    Build ID: MU2.0.30(3004)

REX_TCB ptr: 0x0ec60a98
    tcb.task_name:

and the rest!

oh im not just looking at /var/log/messages, im getting 100% debug direct from the "modem" itself

MSG [00014/01/02/03/04]Radio Frequency/Medium/High/Error/Fatal 05:52:44.039 rfwcdma_core.c 00102 BC1 RX, chan 10788, freq 2157.600 MHz

wondering if its something to do with 2100mhz... is everyone here in a capital city? and not a country town?

Cheers Hewball
    I believe most issues are in metro areas. That's certainly the case for me - frequent reboots in inner Sydney, hardly any issues just an hour south in the Illawarra.
    ive now managed to lock one of my pre3's to only use 850mhz in the firmware ill see how it goes overnight, i think having the phone plugged into USB for debug will stop it crashing as ive not had it crash yet while on power
    gruso and gregp like this.
    Looking forward to your findings!
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hewball View Post
    ive now managed to lock one of my pre3's to only use 850mhz in the firmware ill see how it goes overnight, i think having the phone plugged into USB for debug will stop it crashing as ive not had it crash yet while on power
    Likewise. I was actually asking about a homebrew patch that allowed me to select which network it ran on to narrow this down but was told there wasn't one. Step by step instructions for everything you've done so far please!

Adding weight to the 2100MHz issue is what I received from my Telstra mate a week back:

".......

There are some additional changes being made to Telstra's 3G 2100 Mhz network which will occur with the older 3G network but I believe that these are unrelated to the hardware resets you have been experiencing but have provided it for information purposes.

<<some random guff in here, then this announcement which is also available at http://telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/coverage-networks/network-information/earlier3g/>>

**IMPORTANT - Your customer may be affected by changes to the shared 3G 2100Mhz network **
    Please read below for information and contact your affected customers

As you are aware, Telstra operates two 3G networks - Next G(r) and an older 3G network (2100MHz) which we co-own with Vodafone Hutchinson Australia (VHA). The vast majority of our customers are on the Next G(tm) network.

Vodafone Hutchinson Australia (VHA) and Telstra Corporation (TLS) has announced that their 2004 radio access network sharing joint venture for the shared 2100MHz network (known as 3GIS network), will conclude on 31st August 2012. The change will allow both businesses to focus on their own separate network.

On 31st August 2012 customers who use this network will be unable to use 3G services as a result. They can, however, continue to use standard services like voice and text messages from our 2GSM network. This change only affects customers who use an older 3G handset that operates on our original 3G network. This change won't impact those customers who have a Next G(r) handset that works on our Next G(r) network unless that handset is locked to access the 3G 2100 network, in which case they will also revert to GSM.

What do you need to do?
    Ensure you are aware of this exit and refer to your Mobility Associate for any assistance needed in relation to your specific customers. The Mobile Sales Team has a current 'migration campaign' available to assist with the migration process and reporting of all impacted services is distributed to them monthly. A full brief has been provided further below and additional information can be located at:..."

If 2100 is the problem then I guess this will cease to be so after 31 August. If we can wait that long or patch the modem firmware to stick to 850.

Greg
    Telstra has operated the 2100mhz with Hutchison (3) for many years now, but maybe they are doing changes in preparation to the moving off it, entirely possible

@gregp
    what i did was read the modem setting directly out of the firmware on the device with debugging tools, unticked the frequency's i didn't want and wrote it back to the modem, so if this works ill post more detailed info

Cheers Hewball
    ShiftyAxel likes this.
    OK have bought a Vodafone 850MHz SIM so will see how things go.

Oh, and further to the above post, in desperation I contacted a webOS expert who told me their Pre 3 was on a different network and didn't have that problem, and gave no indication of being prepared to look into it / help / offer any advice. Am I weird for getting frustrated that no matter who I ask (Telstra, HP US, HP UK, homebrewers), no-one seems to care about this until it affects them personally?
    The modem code is proprietary, and not accessible to change. If there is a problem in the modem code caused by a change on your network provider's side, you can throw the phone away now. Harsh, but true.

I can't fix something I can neither reproduce or modify.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The modem code is proprietary, and not accessible to change. If there is a problem in the modem code caused by a change on your network provider's side, you can throw the phone away now. Harsh, but true.

-- Rod
    I have a vague recollection of exactly the same thing on Voda for a week or two(after a firmware upgrade to their towers), and they ended up fixing it, cause it was also affecting android phones. I remember reading about the problem on whirlpool. I'm pretty sure mine is occurring near new Telstra hardware. WHat Rod says is sage advice (sadly)
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Global Posts
    268 Global Posts

-- Rod
    Understood, I wasn't intending to point fingers or suggest magic wands exist, was just hoping for some pointers about where to look for information / what to do when found etc. Um, do modem code conflicts with network providers occur that often?

Telstra has operated the 2100mhz with Hutchison (3) for many years now, but maybe they are doing changes in preparation to the moving off it, entirely possible

@gregp
    what i did was read the modem setting directly out of the firmware on the device with debugging tools, unticked the frequency's i didn't want and wrote it back to the modem, so if this works ill post more detailed info

Cheers Hewball
    Right will wait with interest. I'll certainly needs steps 1-8 of the above process!
    @gregp
    The modem code is proprietary, and not accessible to change.
    I'm having difficulty resolving these two posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by gruso View Post
    I'm having difficulty resolving these two posts.
    Qualcomm Debugging tools....
    Ah I see. Are these tools something that rwhitby doesn't have access to? Or am I misunderstanding what he is referring to?
    Quote Originally Posted by gruso View Post
    Ah I see. Are these tools something that rwhitby doesn't have access to? Or am I misunderstanding what he is referring to?
    Such tools cost tens of thousands of dollars. And they do not allow you to modify the code, just some parameters. Using them is also an order of magnitude more dangerous and more difficult than using the meta-doctor.

Of course, if it fixes the problem, people will work out how to follow the instructions with illegally obtained tools.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Knowing little to nothing about them, could they be used to create a 'safe' Preware patch / application so people can choose which frequencies their phone runs on? Much like an expanded version of the 2G/3G/Auto option on some builds? If so and if 2100 is the problem, that would sound to me like an altogether more satisfactory workaround than 2G only...
    Knowing little to nothing about them, could they be used to create a 'safe' Preware patch / application so people can choose which frequencies their phone runs on? Much like an expanded version of the 2G/3G/Auto option on some builds? If so and if 2100 is the problem, that would sound to me like an altogether more satisfactory workaround than 2G only...
    In a word, no.

Linux does not have access to the modem code or configuration, and even if it did, it's proprietary, binary, and encrypted.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Is it the sort of thing an OTA firmware update could fix (e.g. 2.2.5 if it eventuates) or are we talking even lower level than that?

As an aside, if the problem's on 2100 and Telstra and Vodafone share the same 2100 network, why should it make any difference whether I've got a Telstra or Vodafone SIM? Maybe the issue is switching from Telstra 850 to Telstra/Vodafone 2100, whereas Voda is doing Vodafone850/V2100....

Guess we'll wait and see what Hewball turns up.
    Last edited by gregp; 05/03/2012 at 04:48 AM.
    Short answer is, not something we can fix, its a memory allocation problem, in the modem baseband
    so unless another one of the phones with the same chipset on telstra is having issues dont expect a fix on the network side.

i managed to pull out the Crash logs from the modem itself but i have no way of reading it
    http://hewball.com.au/files/webosmessageslog.txt
    about halfway down in my messages log of one of my crashes has the memory dump too.

both my pre3's sitting next to each other at home reboot within minutes of each other, except when they are on charge (plugged into a computer so i can debug)

so something on the network is sending, a request or notification or something maybe malformed to too large and causing the crash

Cheers Hewball