Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    I've looked through the logs posted in this thread, and none of them show anything out of the ordinary.

I'm on Vodafone.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    OK thanks. Guess that explains why we weren't seeing the same thing every time. Is there anywhere else I could be looking for network-related activity other than /var/log/messages?

As an aside can you explain why /home/reviewdaemon and /var/mft are being called when they don't exist? They look like something left over from developing the OS.

Vodafone 900MHz I presume, or do you have an 850MHz Pre3 that'd be on their new network?
    Last edited by gregp; 04/22/2012 at 06:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    OK thanks. Guess that explains why we weren't seeing the same thing every time. Is there anywhere else I could be looking for network-related activity other than /var/log/messages?

As an aside can you explain why /home/reviewdaemon and /var/mft are being called when they don't exist? They look like something left over from developing the OS.

Vodafone 900MHz I presume, or do you have an 850MHz Pre3 that'd be on their new network?
    The first is an incorrectly compiled in path from the source compilation system, it will never exist on a device.

The second is for manufacturing test, it will never exist on a production device after it has left the factory.

I have an AT&T Pre 3 on 850 Vodafone.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    well, my dear ausie mates!
    I'm in Mexico (the real Mexico, not Victoria!), with an unlocked ATT Pre3 on Telcel and it is doing exactly the same... particuarly on weekends and whilst using the 3G network... so whatever Optus, Telstra, Vodafone., etc., is doing to your phones, apparently Telcel is doing it this side of the world!..... the main difference is: Telecel doesn't give a damn about geeky customres with Phones they don't deal!... they won't even pick up the help line
    cheers

JP
    A bit of cursory research says that Telcel runs the same 2G/3G bands as Telstra, and are currently rolling out LTE. Hmm.
    So has anyone found a better solution than switching to 2G or at least found a more elegant way to do so than using mode switcher?
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    mode switcher isn't hard.

I don't want to jump the gun here but I've doctored my device back to 2.2.3 and with no other accounts connected I've had two 12 hour stretches of no reboots. In the middle I put my contacts and some calendars back in and the restart happened so wipe and start again and all ok again. Will need more testing tomorrow and ultimately I need my calendars and contacts but if this does actually help maybe they can come back slowly and see where it breaks. If it is accounts maybe its related to account syncing over 3g. Accounts are there just haven't logged in.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    There used to be a way to change network type under the phone preferences, not sure if this was only in the EU versions or whether it got removed in a firmware update. But mode switcher does the same thing.

Enabled two email accounts this morning and a restart 30 minutes later. Email accounts removed but still got a restart. So doing an erase apps and data and will leave them off for the rest of the day. BTW I did try a brand new profile on 2.2.4 (before doctoring to 2.2.4 which I tried before 2.2.3) so had no accounts, apps etc and got restarts.

My Telstra mate contacted some people and they just rolled out the same 'If it's not one of our phones then that must be the problem' line. So dead end there.

I know this forum is all voluntary stuff so if something doesn't affect someone they're less likely to try to fix it, but it sounds as though this problem is going to affect more and more 850MHz users as other networks roll out new software. While I don't wish this misbehaviour on anyone else at least then hopefully there will be more interest in this topic from the people on this forum who actually have the skills to do something about this.
    Last edited by gregp; 04/26/2012 at 08:37 PM.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Hi, I have an EU and an AT&T on two different French networks. One provider's SIM (SFR) doesn't cause problems in any handsets, but the other (Orange) is a mess (when used in either, it causes intermittent resets, as it did with the HTC HD2 before it). I'm not saying it's the SIM itself, but most likely certain information transmitted from/over the network as the workaround #1 below worked for us.

Discussion similar to yours have been had in French forums as well. The following workarounds have been successful, either tried separately, or all used together. I hadn't yet seen experiments switching be G/3G networks until I read this thread.

1. Turn off sync with network provider's clock (worked for Orange SIM on EU Pre3)
    2. Erase and re-install (or erase completely) messaging accounts
    3. Modify WIFI security type (Veer would reset when hooking up to home wifi)
    4. Erase and re-install (or erase completely) Exchange accounts. Or just switch to manual syncing to better test.

If shutting off network clock sync, check out the app "Clock Sync" which can sync the device clock without using the provider. Let me know if any of this helps.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Thanks for the tips Goyena.

1) I did try that a couple of weeks ago but didn't help
    2) Kinda tried that by wiping my 2.2.4 device and starting with a brand new (empty) webOS account and still had the problem
    3) All my faults have happened with WIFI turned off
    4) I've done a doctor to 2.2.4 (so a clean wipe) and still had the problem with my regular accounts before I was using Exchange.

Sad to report I got a reset last night on the clean doctored 2.2.3 with no accounts set up (and my profile had been deleted so apart from a few apps it's a clean profile). So that doesn't fix the problem, but it has certainly reduced it significantly. That's only important because hopefully this helps narrow down the problem, i.e. with no accounts configured, 3G resets are few and far between, having only had one reset in probably 30 hours of running time. This is compared to (on average) one every two hours with accounts configured on 3G on 2.2.4. (The version could be coincidence but I did get a reset fairly soon after doctoring to 2.2.4, maybe if I'd left it longer it would have kept behaving).

This does tie up with my earlier suspicion and what Goyena said that it's related to syncing something over the network. Unfortunately /var/log/messages doesn't contain anything unusual and my requests as to where else to look have gone unheeded.

For now I'm doctoring back to 2.2.4, putting all my accounts and apps on and running in 2G mode in the hope a fix comes along when someone who has the skills to fix it hits the problem themselves.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    One other band-aid I've applied is I've taken the PIN on my SIM card. This does nothing except when the phone DOES restart at least it automatically connects to the network rather than waiting (sometimes hours) offline for a PIN before reconnecting. As a lower level of security I've added an unlock PIN when the screen's locked for more than 5 minutes. Less secure as the SIM's still unprotected but at least there's a minimal level of protection on the setup and when the phone does restart at least it comes back online.

Given there's a sniff webOS 2.2.5 might be on its way I'll flag this with HP EU (as it never released in the US) in the hope a fix might be found.
    Webos 2.2.5 ? Where have you read that's in the making ?
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    http://www.webosnation.com/webos-225...t-testing-logs

May or may not be a release candidate but there's hope...
    Thankssssssssssssssssssssss

Lets hope that

1) will be made available
    2) will fix the quirks ( battery sudden drains due to the wifi stack going nuts etc etc etc ) and maybe improve the browser....
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    So back on 2.2.4 and still getting restarts.

I've tried contacting HP webOS support in the US. They say the unit was never released so please contact UK support. I contact UK support, they say as I've tried doctoring it must be a faulty unit so please contact US support for a replacement. US support say the device wasn't released and has no warranty so they can't fix it. They weren't prepared to give me details of anyone in webOS development who might be able to fix this, even though clearly there is still work being done on webOS but if you need any further support please contact UK support.

I know it's an unreleased device but is it too much to ask for a device to just stay turned on? I thought Palm/HP couldn't do much more to alienate webOS users but trying to hold the flag high on a device that can't even survive two hours without a random restart, and they don't even care, makes me realise they still had a bit left in the tank What's going to happen when the other 850MHz networks update their software and suddenly every 850MHz Pre 3 user starts having this problem? Presumably nothing?
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    OK have bought a Vodafone 850MHz SIM so will see how things go.

Oh, and further to the above post, in desperation I contacted a webOS expert who told me their Pre 3 was on a different network and didn't have that problem, and gave no indication of being prepared to look into it / help / offer any advice. Am I weird for getting frustrated that no matter who I ask (Telstra, HP US, HP UK, homebrewers), no-one seems to care about this until it affects them personally?
    Last edited by gregp; 05/02/2012 at 02:25 AM.
    i can confirm im getting this same thing on 2 Pre3's both ATT version, In Perth on Telstra, same sim, its damn annoying i dont want to give up this phone

ive dug through logs of my crashes, its a Modem Crash causing Hardware reboot,
    so what im thinking was there a modem firmware update between 2.2.3 and 2.2.4?
    (just confirmed this myself its a no)

Join #pre3 on Freenode ill do all my debuging in there if you want to help me.

Cheers Brenton
    Last edited by hewball; 05/02/2012 at 03:28 AM.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Oh no, mine is rebooting randomly and I am on telstra, i hoped it would go away and have now found I have joined a club of telstra users. AT&T Pre3.
    well so far tonight ive managed to get modem debugging working so ill see what i can find out

update on the logging, its sitting on my desk here at work (spare pre3) with a telstra Sim with full Debug logging on, its generating 80megabytes of logs every 20 mins, hopefully ill see it crash and then i can start digging through the logs to see what it says
    Last edited by hewball; 05/02/2012 at 08:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by hewball View Post
    well so far tonight ive managed to get modem debugging working so ill see what i can find out

update on the logging, its sitting on my desk here at work (spare pre3) with a telstra Sim with full Debug logging on, its generating 80megabytes of logs every 20 mins, hopefully ill see it crash and then i can start digging through the logs to see what it says
    Well count me in too. Att Pre 3 meta dr'd with Euro firmware.

Interestingly I have had similar behaviour on a pre2 and veer, but only while making or in a call?

Edit; forum members Herrie or John Steffes may have some insights into the logs?
    Last edited by dbmgreen; 05/02/2012 at 11:43 PM.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast