Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Coincidentally I've just put a Mugen into my device, all the resets on this one were with the original battery. I doubt it's related.

Anyway looks like I was wrong about the logs. I've just had a second reset which had the log looking similar but I found the gap in time (which I assumed was while the device was restarting) was actually just the device time being reset. That's probably setting the system time after the reset meaning the reset came earlier. But I didn't go that far back into the logs to see why. Will have to watch next time it resets (and avoid moving the device and getting those annoying accelerometer messages) and see if I can find what's going on.
    Interesting to hear how common this is to Telstra users. I'm playing with some of these settings, but I'm not confident it's going to help.

Only realised this morning that it was affecting my clock; 45min late for work. Oops! On the positive side, now I can use the clock to indicate if it has been rebooting without me noticing. (Obviously this will only work with network time deactivated.)
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gruso View Post
    Interesting to hear how common this is to Telstra users. I'm playing with some of these settings, but I'm not confident it's going to help.

Only realised this morning that it was affecting my clock; 45min late for work. Oops! On the positive side, now I can use the clock to indicate if it has been rebooting without me noticing. (Obviously this will only work with network time deactivated.)
    I'm on Telstra if that helps.
    Well, I'm terrified that I'm speaking too soon, but after configuring my Telstra settings I have not had a reboot for 7 hours. Based on what I read here (same post I previously linked) here's what I did:

- Went here (from PC): http://configure.telstra.com.au
    - Clicked Setup, gave it my number, entered the passcode it sent me etc
    - Chose manufacturer: Samsung
    - Chose model: Galaxy_S_Plus_I9001
    - Chose settings: Combined Settings - MMS, Mobile Internet
    - Clicked Send.

No further message is received from them - I guess this information just goes to configuring the back end.

Is it a coincidence that I haven't had a reboot since doing this? Maybe. I'd be interested to hear how others go.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I'll watch this with interest. I've not had a day without at least one reset. Has happened when opening sms, turning phone onto silent, sending a sms, trying to make a call or the phone just sitting there untouched. But would like to see how it works for you first. Not sure why it would just start for no reason.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    well one interesting observation I hadn't noticed before, the phone was on airplane mode for seven hours overnight and still running in the morning. I don't recall ever finding it's reset overnight when on airplane mode, but yesterday in the day it would have rebooted at least six times.

Maybe it IS network related. And if so this would explain why it's just started without any changes at my end, and why it fails apparently randomly.

gruso any update on your situation?
    Looks like I've had a reboot or two overnight, as the clock is a few minutes behind. It's yet to do it in front of me. I'm keeping it in my line of sight all day.

Just to make sure I'm providing all the data: There are three main towers I connect to throughout the week. I'll call them (1) work, (2) weekday home, and (3) weekend home. It was rebooting in all areas, but particularly bad at (3) on the weekend. I've only tried these new settings on (1) and (2) so far.

(1 and 2 are Illawarra, 3 is Sydney metro.)

I wonder, if this has only recently started happening for people who have had Pre 3s on Telstra for a while, could it be related to their 4G rollout?
    Anybody tried switching to another carrier from telstra?
    I think I have a Three SIM somewhere (broadband only). Or I could pick up one of those starter packs for a few bucks. Might be worth a test on the weekend.

Current status: 11.30am and no daytime reboots yet. I just went back to configure.telstra.com.au and changed my model to GTI9100GalaxyS2, which is a closer match for the guide I followed (I didn't spot it before). I'll report back tonight and tomorrow.
    Thanks for that. Being in a household of Nokia Lumias (micro sims) and being under 18 years of age, its much appreciated.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Hmm OK after another three resets within four hours this morning I've followed the setup thing above for Samsung Galaxy S2 model GT-I9100 so will see what happens.
    Last edited by gregp; 04/16/2012 at 10:10 PM.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Damn, just restarted. Might switch back to my first Pre 3 and see if the same thing happens. That should at least rule out the device (which I don't think is the problem anyway)
    It might be worth mentioning that I have had FB & email notifications disabled since the weekend (and I'll keep them that way because I found them unecessary). Disabling them didn't help before I changed my Telstra settings, but maybe it's a factor now.
    I have changed my settings to
    Internet APN: telstra.iph (was telstra.wap)
    MMS APN: telstra.mms (no change)
    MMS Proxy: 10.1.1.181:80 (was 10.1.1.180:80)
    MAX Size: blank (was 600)

Unfortunately I am still getting resets, but possibly not as many.

As an aside, for a month or two before I began using my Pre 3 as my main phone, I ran it with a Telstra pre-paid data card. In that time I was never aware of resets.
    Well, unfortunately, I am with pre-paid, so obviously that wouldn't be a solution...
    My Telstra SIM is prepaid.

Still no reboots today, heading to bed now and hoping my alarm rings on time!
    Checking in. Still no reboots.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Checking in. Had a few restarts on my older Pre 3 yesterday (so two separate devices on Telstra NextG are both showing the same behaviour) so removed all patches and every trace of everything unusual I could find, only thing left on there non-stock is Uberkernel, Preware, Internalz Pro and the related service. These were on this device when I first had this problem end of last year but it went away after a day or two without me removing them). Left phone on (and on charge) connected to the network overnight. Still running in the morning so 8 hours of no problems, walked 8 minutes to the bus stop and it restarted on the way, a second restart while on the bus and a third one from my office in the city.

Interestingly my wife's Veer (also on NextG) is behaving perfectly.

I wonder if it's to do with switching from one tower to the other? Or maybe as suggested earlier related to 4G rollout - maybe going from a 4G tower to a 3G tower or something?

I'm still looking at log files from the restarts - I've got a log of a clean shutdown so I can see where the restart starts and can thus find the same spot in the logs when it dies unexpectedly but so far nothing obvious. My recollection is that the device freezes for say 4-5 seconds before the screen fades out and the restart happens but there's lots in the logs to work through (if in fact it's even something that gets logged).

The other part of me says Why am I bothering, why not just switch to a iPhone or Samsung Galaxy and get a device that does what it's told to.
    Last edited by gregp; 04/17/2012 at 09:09 PM.
    This is getting ridiculous. Perhaps another doctor would help, or I could switch back to my Veer. But, I guess the Pre 3 is unique? But, seeing that nobody ever recognizes it, that isn't really a reason to keep using it...
    Not sure if this is just the placebo effect, but it seems to random restart less if you lock the phone while in an app, not card view.
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast