webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > pre3 cuts out and reboots randomly
pre3 cuts out and reboots randomly
Like Tree19Likes

Old 09/29/2012, 04:25 AM   #341 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth_luigi View Post
2.2.5 has only been seen in app logs by developers as far as I know.
It's probably an un released version that was in testing at Palm and will now never get finished/released.
Well some guy here said he had 2.2.5 so you never know...

Btw, not only app testing logs it seems: http://www.handsetdetection.com/prop...a090593d0001f4

"agent Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; webOS/2.2.5; U; en-CA) AppleWebKit/534.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) webOSBrowser/221.57 Safari/534.6 Pre/3.0"

Last edited by Vistaus; 09/29/2012 at 04:32 AM.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2012, 07:52 AM   #342 (permalink)

I have found a tidbit, maybe related maybe not...

All assume Pre3 is a Pre3... All are wrong...

Compared webOS tar file from AT&T, Verizon, and WR and one will notice big differences including the Kernel checkout the MD5 hash of each Kernel...

AT&T: 194fc5cdab6cfb3ce9bbbfa868e2f9d3 *./boot/uImage-2.6.32.9-palm-rib
Verizon: 62cbcbea709b491076e23967dbe0e148 *./boot/uImage-2.6.32.9-palm-rib
WR: 32cebbdd70c439c0bd9a5be8993713f0 *./boot/uImage-2.6.32.9-palm-rib

Now if one installs a different Kernel (from webOS Internals), it may/may not have the difference, but if one restores (Palm Default) from webOS Internals they get WR version.

Can not say if this is a good thing...

I have compare Kernel md5hash webOS 2.1.0 (from Pre2 Roger build 100, SFR build 108, and Verizon build 124), and all were the exact same MD5 hash.

Why is Pre3 different? Do not know, does this cause an issues do not know... But I have a Verizon Pre3 (never been activated) and have zero issues/reboots for any reason.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Pre3webOS2.2.4compare.zip (188.1 KB, 1 views) Email Attachment
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 04:40 PM   #343 (permalink)

Just gave my Pre 3 away. It doesn't look like this problem is going away.
Happy with my Veer and TP but TTS would be nice as the Veer screen is a little small for browsing full sites.

I still don't understand why the reboots don't happen while the phone was on touchstone?
NoApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/07/2012, 03:22 AM   #344 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoApple View Post
Just gave my Pre 3 away. It doesn't look like this problem is going away.
Happy with my Veer and TP but TTS would be nice as the Veer screen is a little small for browsing full sites.

I still don't understand why the reboots don't happen while the phone was on touchstone?
You can have tts on the veer its documented in the veer 224 thread, i did it, not issues, its just there is no feed back for when its finished, so its best just to leave it for 60 mins while it does it.

dbmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/07/2012, 07:37 PM   #345 (permalink)

Thanks,I've seen that thread, but not game to upgrade in case it inroduces random reboots.
NoApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2012, 08:25 AM   #346 (permalink)
Rnp

Well... My EU Pre 3 upgraded from 2.2.0 to 2.2.4 and the reboots begun.

So, I tried to downgrade only the modem (install the 2.2.0 modem firmware in 2.2.4 ROM), but I don't know if I did something wrong. I'll gonna try again, later.

Best Regards...
Old 10/11/2012, 10:23 AM   #347 (permalink)

pls keep us posted on the downgrade,thanks
Rn4902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 05:01 PM   #348 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

We seem to have this fixed now on the Veer, might be worth to try the following patch and report your results:

WebOS 2.2.3 is already there for Veer

It could be just a bug in the 2.2.4 phone app?
Herrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and Jive Turkey like this.
Old 11/28/2012, 05:08 AM   #349 (permalink)
Rnp

I can test, but I don't believe that gonna solve.

In Pre3, the reset happen with me in some calls, but only when I use the carrier data (2G/3G).

With data off or using wifi, no problems with random reset. Never.

Best Regards...
Old 01/15/2013, 02:03 PM   #350 (permalink)

I think it's the voice dialer. After removing all voicedial packages, and disabling it as outlined at How To Remove VoiceDial - WebOS Internals I have not had a single random restart, or restart when opening or closing the phone. This was happening 2 times a day before. It's been solid for 3 days now.
Old 01/17/2013, 10:52 AM   #351 (permalink)

hmmmmmm...... This is my most recent... I need to start collecting a history. But my recent crashes have been in the modem...

Code:
Bender efslogs # cat modem_err_data_index00_log00.txt
ERR crash log report.  Version 3.

Error in file hci, line 0
Time of crash (m-d-y h:m:s): 01-17-2013 2:38:33
Uptime (h:m:s): 11:57:44
Build ID: MU2.0.30(3004)

REX_TCB ptr: 0x0fa4e574
tcb.task_name: dog

Coredump ARCH type is: ERR_ARCH_ARM
I'll include some more (by editing this) in a bit.
Old 01/20/2013, 10:39 PM   #352 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
I think it's the voice dialer. After removing all voicedial packages, and disabling it as outlined at How To Remove VoiceDial - WebOS Internals I have not had a single random restart, or restart when opening or closing the phone. This was happening 2 times a day before. It's been solid for 3 days now.
Is it still "solid" ?

What device was this done on? A Veer? I'm interested in getting a fix for the Pre3.

Is there a patch available that can remove the voice dialer? (I'm not sure how to do the Linux code stuff)

Cheers.
thirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2013, 05:46 AM   #353 (permalink)
Rnp

I don't believe in Voice Dial.

For other side, I'm still tempted to install the modem firmware from 2.2.0 in 2.2.4... but I don't know how to do exactly...

Best Regards...
Old 06/19/2013, 12:01 PM   #354 (permalink)

Just found this thread. I have been having these reboot problems for about 1 year, in fact since I changed my carrier, and looking for clues here and then.

I bought my Pr 3 unlocked straight from HP, used it on SFR (a French MNO). Never ever experienced any reboot problem (I run 2.2.4). Then, as I switched to Free (a French carrier which acts both as MNO and MVNO since it still has limited coverage), I started getting the random reboots. My wife who also has a Pr 3 and the same carrier also gets the random reboots. It never reboots if I have data switched off.

So I'm really tempted to put it on the change of frequencies handling by Pr 3 modem.

There hasn't been any post since someone suggested to remove Voice Dial. Could anyone report on outcome ?
Zoltic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2013, 01:53 PM   #355 (permalink)

Have you tried setting the data to 2g or 3g instead of auto?
horzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2013, 03:27 PM   #356 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by horzel View Post
Have you tried setting the data to 2g or 3g instead of auto?
In fact the Free carrier is rather new (1 year) and doesn't support 2G. So, depending on coverage, my Pr switches between 3G and Edge.

My previous carrier (SFR) did support 2G, and phone frequently switched between 2G and 3G, without crashing.
Old 06/19/2013, 07:14 PM   #357 (permalink)
Rnp

Edge is 2G!

Somebody if is possible to empty the modem cache? If yes, how to do?

Best Regards...
Old 06/20/2013, 12:12 AM   #358 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
Edge is 2G!
There has to be some kind of difference because the Pr uses 3 different indicators (E, G, 3G).
Since I changed carrier, I don't get "G" anymore and my reboot problems started.
Old 06/20/2013, 07:50 AM   #359 (permalink)
Rnp

"G" is "GPRS", lower than Edge... and; still, is 2G (GSM).

The same way, "3G" data could be "U" (UMTS) or "H" (HSDPA) or "H+" (HSDPA + HSUPA)...

The "1G" to GSM was called TDMA... and... well... I believe that was used by dinossaurs...

(Old guys trying to kill me in 3... 2... 1... )

Best Regards...
Old 06/20/2013, 05:41 PM   #360 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltic View Post
Just found this thread. I have been having these reboot problems for about 1 year, in fact since I changed my carrier, and looking for clues here and then.

I bought my Pr 3 unlocked straight from HP, used it on SFR (a French MNO). Never ever experienced any reboot problem (I run 2.2.4). Then, as I switched to Free (a French carrier which acts both as MNO and MVNO since it still has limited coverage), I started getting the random reboots. My wife who also has a Pr 3 and the same carrier also gets the random reboots. It never reboots if I have data switched off.

So I'm really tempted to put it on the change of frequencies handling by Pr 3 modem.

There hasn't been any post since someone suggested to remove Voice Dial. Could anyone report on outcome ?
I have the same issue on Telstra in Australia. My workaround is to use the application Modeswitcher. I have it setup to have the Data on 2G only when the screen is off and Auto when the screen is on. No more reboots.

Ben
benh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, pre3, reboot

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0