Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    Hello from Moscow, Russia, reporting the same problem.
    My 2.2.4 Pre3 completely switches off one or two times a week. Last episode was like:
    - staying in the car (so, no vibration and no battery problems)
    - playing music via built-in "Music"
    - battery full
    - 3G enabled
    - screen switched off by timeout
    Music accidentally stopped. Wondering why, I pressed "power" button and saw "HP" logo
    Damn! Such a things never occured to iPhone...
    Quote Originally Posted by NoApple View Post
    Keep us informed on how this is going. It'd be great if it was a fix.
    So far, I witnessed no Luna Reboots anymore, BUT ...
    I had a major reboot last friday. The whole device was stuck and the screen became fuzzy and pixelized before it rebootet about 10 seconds later...

And I have SMS issues. Some are simply not coming through anymore. I tested this with a friend. Only 2 of 3 SMS came through. The missing SMS did not show up. Never.

This is really starting to bug me off, honestly. I am really only waiting for OpenWebOS to be ported to i.e. Galaxy III, then I'm off the Pre3.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    So far, I witnessed no Luna Reboots anymore, BUT ...
    I had a major reboot last friday. The whole device was stuck and the screen became fuzzy and pixelized before it rebootet about 10 seconds later...

And I have SMS issues. Some are simply not coming through anymore. I tested this with a friend. Only 2 of 3 SMS came through. The missing SMS did not show up. Never.

This is really starting to bug me off, honestly. I am really only waiting for OpenWebOS to be ported to i.e. Galaxy III, then I'm off the Pre3.
    That sounds like something similar to what I use to get on Palm OS devices when it didn't like a certain clock speed. Any chance you got Uberkernel installed and running the Pre3 hard (max overclock, etc?). Maybe try a different clock speed that it prefers.

For me, I have had zero random resets after boosting the old space size. I still haven't gotten an answer what the settings actually modify, but I do know that browser.conf is what we want to play with, as the other file is for the app. Now my only gripe with my Pre3 is the slight oreo effect it has.
    I boosted the OldSpace size on my AT&T Pre3 too, and I've found that it has worked wonders for me. Only a couple random reboots in the past few weeks... compared to having one multiple times a day, usually when I was trying to make a call or look up something online.
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
    That sounds like something similar to what I use to get on Palm OS devices when it didn't like a certain clock speed. Any chance you got Uberkernel installed and running the Pre3 hard (max overclock, etc?). Maybe try a different clock speed that it prefers.
    Nah, my kernel is stock. I won't try other kernels before the warranty has run out...
    But thanks for the tip
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    My reboot problem seems to be solved by switching off 3G mode, leaving only EDGE. I have a patch "enable/disable 3G in main menu" and is able to do so.
    feduchin likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perezx View Post
    My reboot problem seems to be solved by switching off 3G mode, leaving only EDGE. I have a patch "enable/disable 3G in main menu" and is able to do so.
    And there you have it, someone with the same problem this thread is about. What is your location, who is your carrier?
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    And there you have it, someone with the same problem this thread is about. What is your location, who is your carrier?
    More importantly. Is your pre3 local or did you import it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalezz View Post
    Interesting. Mine too is an AT&T unit, using it on Telstra in Australia.
    Similar modifications/patches too.
    I also am using an imported AT&T unit with Telstra Australia. I have really suffered for over 2 months.

Back in June my older unit bought around 10 months ago, started to refuse to make calls! After going through the painful business of using Dr from Palm I ended up returning it to the UK for warranty repair; they returned it UNrepaired by which time I had bought 2 more and loaded up 1 of the new ones with my profile. Guess what, same thing happened! I had to conclude there was a bug in my profile!

Things improved after that. But NOW I have these random reboots. Note the following which I did more or less in order:
    1. Tried new reboot on both 2011 unit and 2012 unit. (Decided to discard old profile). No difference.
    2. Thinking that software regularly checking the net was to blame, I tried out new profile with no software loaded. No difference.
    3. Tried 3rd profile, no difference. Thought Google to blame (even published that idea as it seemed that the reboot coincided with15 minute email check intervals) - seemed to make sense.
    4. Heard from my US supplier; NOT from Palm UK; about AT&T 2.2.4 (didn't know about it, neither did she!)! So installed it.
    5. Now the intervals are greater, more like 20 or 40 or even 60 minutes. More truly random.
    6. Saw on somebody's reply that there is a 2.2.5 version: is that only for a specific ISP, like Verizon or something, or is it also for AT&T?

Having tried my whole 'profile' and SIM with my Android phone with absolutely nothing but perfect service, I simply cannot pin down any specifics about these reboots. I've considered the phone jarring in my pocket or it being upside down, I've searched for apps in the phone that might cause it such as Maps or GPS.

I am at a total loss. The only reason I keep on is because the phone is so perfect to use compared with any Android or iPhone, but I'm getting close to the end. Also is there a 2.2.5?

HEELLP someone, where are all those really clever folk?

STOP PRESS: have just caught it in the act! Picked up the phone, flicked up the icon to enable the screen: icon half way up, and FROZE, whereupon it rebooted!
    NOTE: should tell you that when it reboots it does not ask to re-log in to Palm AND loses NO 'logged in' info, except for the irritating Telstra 4-figure code to enable the SIM, it's as though it never rebooted...
    Quote Originally Posted by hewball View Post
    found this in the Filesystem of the "modem"

if only i knew how to interpret it... hmmm

ERR crash log report. Version 3.

Error in file rrc :PFault , line 72
    Time of crash (m-d-y h:m:s): 05-02-2012 14:30:43
    Uptime (h:m:s): 0:08:32
    Build ID: MU2.0.30(3004)

REX_TCB ptr: 0x0ec60a98
    tcb.task_name:

and the rest!

oh im not just looking at /var/log/messages, im getting 100% debug direct from the "modem" itself

MSG [00014/01/02/03/04]Radio Frequency/Medium/High/Error/Fatal 05:52:44.039 rfwcdma_core.c 00102 BC1 RX, chan 10788, freq 2157.600 MHz

wondering if its something to do with 2100mhz... is everyone here in a capital city? and not a country town?

Cheers Hewball
    Interesting isn't it that Telstra announced that around now they will be using a different band..
    I think the Pre3 phones cover these bands, but I can't find where to change the band anyway..
    I mean, why (as in my case) has this rebooting problem only started fairly recently whereas I see others, especially in the USA, starting months ago?
    Firstly, I guess nobody can do any kind of analysis of that, right?
    Secondly, since HP are obviously doing no work on webOS for our phones, why are we all even bothering to complain amont ourselves?
    I wish it could do some good, but all I see are whinges (winges?) with no positive results.
    Since open webOS will not be ported to 'legacy' (so soon?) phones, I really see no hope for us.
    ive now managed to lock one of my pre3's to only use 850mhz in the firmware ill see how it goes overnight, i think having the phone plugged into USB for debug will stop it crashing as ive not had it crash yet while on power
    Interesting isn't it that Telstra announced that around now they will be using a different band..
    I think the Pre3 phones cover these bands, but I can't find where to change the band anyway..
    I mean, why (as in my case) has this rebooting problem only started fairly recently whereas I see others, especially in the USA, starting months ago?
    Firstly, I guess nobody can do any kind of analysis of that, right?
    Secondly, since HP are obviously doing no work on webOS for our phones, why are we all even bothering to complain amont ourselves?
    I wish it could do some good, but all I see are whinges (winges?) with no positive results.
    Since open webOS will not be ported to 'legacy' (so soon?) phones, I really see no hope for us.
    ive now managed to lock one of my pre3's to only use 850mhz in the firmware ill see how it goes overnight, i think having the phone plugged into USB for debug will stop it crashing as ive not had it crash yet while on power
    How do you do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by feduchin View Post
    How do you do that?
    Probably a conf setting in the modem configuration.

I'll sniff around my pixi to see if it's possible to lock true legacy devices to use a specific frequency.

In the meantime, if it exists, look for minicores. Should be in /var I think (im running 1.4.5)

Edit: for nitpickers, yes this is a pre3 forum and yes I'm aware he has a pre3 and not a pixi. The 'true' legacy device I was referring to is the Pixi specifically, but also includes the Pre
    Proud user of a Palm Pre+ on T-Mobile running 1.4.5 in New Orleans, Louisiana
    --
    Need some help getting Odamex on WebOS
    Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
    MY FRIENDS: THE ANSWER IS, WE DON'T HAVE AN ANSWER! NONE OF US!
    Have you noticed how hundreds of Pre3 users, all the way from 2011, have been trying to work out why their Pre3's have been randomly rebooting, but NOBODY has found the reason why.
    I AM SURE THAT IS BECAUSE WE, THE USERS, ARE NOT THE CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM!
    HEWLETT PACKARD IS THE CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM!
    And regretfully I believe HP will do nothing about it.
    I have installed the latest 2.2.4 OS, and reinstalled it.
    I have used two Pre3's, they both do exactly the same.
    I have cut out this and that software, such as Evernote which constantly checks with their server, also anything else I can find.
    I have used 3 different profiles, the latest absolutely bare without even Google!
    IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE!
    I believe the problem we are all experiencing is in the HP camp and has nothing to do with any one of us users. Indeed to be more specific I believe the problem lies in the HP server that handles the actual profiles that we all are tied to.
    And I believe Hewlett Packard will almost certainly do nothing about it. We are stuck with something that went wrong with their profile handling servers sometime around the end of 2011. Frankly, I think we've had it and the sooner we all go away the sooner HP will be happy.
    About the only thing we can do as a group is BOYCOTT HP products FOR EVER!!!
    Have you noticed how hundreds of Pre3 users, all the way from 2011, have been trying to work out why their Pre3's have been randomly rebooting, but NOBODY has found the reason why.
    And regretfully I believe HP will do nothing about it.
    I have installed the latest 2.2.4 OS, and reinstalled it.
    I have used two Pre3's, they both do exactly the same.
    I have cut out this and that software, such as Evernote which constantly checks with their server, also anything else I can find.
    I have used 3 different profiles, the latest absolutely bare without even Google!
    IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE!
    I believe the problem we are all experiencing is in the HP camp and has nothing to do with any one of us users. Indeed to be more specific I believe the problem lies in the HP server that handles the actual profiles that we all are tied to.
    And I believe Hewlett Packard will almost certainly do nothing about it. We are stuck with something that went wrong with their profile handling servers sometime around the end of 2011. Frankly, I think we've had it and the sooner we all go away the sooner HP will be happy.
    About the only thing we can do as a group is BOYCOTT HP products FOR EVER!!!
    I can only take half of your wall of text seriously due to excessive emphasis and exlaimations.

Think about this. Who crafted the original pre/pixi, the pre2, etc.

Perhaps it's an issue in the hardware, and not profile handling. Maybe it's a bug in the source code. It's closed, so we can't do much about that.

Like you said, HP won't give a flying fbomb if it were dropped on central HQ.

As for boycotting, we should get the **** copters from thinkgeek and swarm their home base with them. Maybe they'll give one with a bunch buzzing their towers ;P

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Proud user of a Palm Pre+ on T-Mobile running 1.4.5 in New Orleans, Louisiana
    --
    Need some help getting Odamex on WebOS
    Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
    really you need to read some of the previous posts. We KNOW it's the modem interaction with the network.

As I post before, My phone reboots in Australia on Telstra, but not in New Zealand or in Italy, France, Belgium, Netherlands or the UK.
    Siobhán

Palm III, Treo 600/650/680/750, Pre, Pre3, AT&T Pre3, tp 4G, tp 64GB.

I am an HP Employee. I am not associated in anyway with the development of webOS or associated devices. Opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent HP or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP or Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    Hi everyone, I don't know if this will work, but a telstra tech just suggested I try a different apn. By default, our phones use telstra,wap, which isn't used anymore, he said others were having problems, similar, to this.

He strongly suggested going to manual apn settings and trying telstra.internet or telstra.data if telstra.internet doesnt stop the reboots.

Leave u/name password blank

Have just changed mine, will monitor it over the weekend.
    I couldn't find a result, did anyone try this, if so what was the result?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    wow I'm sorry you UK peeps are having so much trouble!! My pre3 on AT&T works very well and never reboots. I will say that using some of the patches may help these issues though. Like these patches, system control optimization, unthrottle download manager, remove dropped packet logging, muffle system logging, disk cache mod, these are the best at smoothing out webOS and might stop that rebooting issue. Its worth a try . But I know when I had the issue on my original pre it was the processor that was the issue . I over worked it lol and it would shut the pho e down.
    Sorry it's not a patch or OS prob, I think most have concluded its a carrier prob. The only other country I have found with a consistent similar problems to Telstra/Australia is a carrier, unknown, in Germany. Many complaints are coming from there.
    I couldn't find a result, did anyone try this, if so what was the result?
    I tried 'Telstra.internet', but the phone rebooted 2 minutes later. With 'Telstra.data' however, I can't seem to get the data working. Of course, that puts an end to the random reboots, but may cut back on productivity a wee bit...
    Sorry it's not a patch or OS prob, I think most have concluded its a carrier prob. The only other country I have found with a consistent similar problems to Telstra/Australia is a carrier, unknown, in Germany. Many complaints are coming from there.
    My complaint is from here in The Netherlands. Started with Vodafone (my contract wasn't due yet), then switched to T-Mobile. Everything perfectly. After about 2 months on T-Mobile this problem started to happen.
    So I'm not sure if it's a carrier problem in my case.