Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    Here's something I think may help.

I know this thread is mainly related to the modem firmware lacking enough memory/malfunctioning, but I was getting a lot of random resets myself. With me, in browser.conf and browser-app.conf, I boosted OldSpaceSize to 96 MB (confs are found in /etc/palm). This may not help the modem issue, but will help the other resets you may experience. For background, on my device, V8 was crashing and taking Luna with it due to running out of memory. The stock setting that I changed is set for 64 MB, which looking at JSTop, is what my device always hovered around. Boosting that setting now lets my device go into the 80's. So my theory was that every time I launched a JSJSJS $intensive$ $application$ ($Google$ $Maps$ $or$ $receiving$ $a$ $phone$ $call$), $this$ $would$ $push$ $the$ $heap$ $usage$ $to$ $its$ $max$ $and$ $cause$ $the$ $emergency$ $garbage$ $collectors$ $to$ $purge$ $as$ $much$ $as$ $possible$. $Hence$ $it$ $would$ $cause$ $my$ $device$ $to$ $reset$ $when$ $it$ $purged$ $the$ $wrong$ $handle$/$node$. $With$ $the$ $limit$ $raised$, $this$ $doesn$'$t$ $occur$ $now$ ($or$ $hasn$'$t$ $after$ $a$ $week$ $of$ $usage$).

Again, this doesn't solve the modem issue but may resolve any other resets you may experience.
    Thx, will try and report then

ps: wow ... in browser-app.conf the OldSpaceSize is set to 32MB -> changed that to 96 as you wrote.
    pps: in browser.conf the OldSpaceSize is hashed out alltogether ... ?? Shall I remove the hash and set it to 96?

Oh and yes, I am a noob when it comes to linux .... hehehe
    Last edited by Buddy1969; 08/06/2012 at 10:25 AM.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    Thx, will try and report then

ps: wow ... in browser-app.conf the OldSpaceSize is set to 32MB -> changed that to 96 as you wrote.
    pps: in browser.conf the OldSpaceSize is hashed out alltogether ... ?? Shall I remove the hash and set it to 96?

Oh and yes, I am a noob when it comes to linux .... hehehe
    I unhashed it. Just be advised that these settings are my suggestions and may or may not help. I played enough to know this worked for me but if someone could chime in explain what each setting does (as well as what conf file is related to what), would be helpful too.\

For linux basics, the hash basically comments out the line.
    Reporting as promised.

I left the other entry hashed and changed only the one in browser-app.conf to 96 MB.
    Have not yet experienced a reboot.
    Will keep watching this.

Thx again, Bassman!
    Update: just had a reboot. (BTW I was looking up "Koriander" on Wikipedia atm, trying to figure out to which family of plants it belongs ... lol )

I had JSTop installed and set for Auto-Garbage-collection. Funny enough, it autoGCed right after the reboot ... lol

I will now unhash the second setting and set it to 96 MB. Let's see if that does the trick ...
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I don't know if this is relevant, but I thought it may have some relationship.

I got sick of my Pre3 rebooting all the time, so I bought a Veer off eBay which has webOS 2.1.2 on it. I didn't realise at the time that the Veer doesn't have TTS or Skype, so I started looking at the Veer forum to see if anyone has upgraded the software to 2.2.4.

It turns out they have, but have had problems with random reboots

2.2.3/2.2.4 in call reboots and possible solution?

Has anyone on a Pre3 gone back to 2.1.2 to see if it's software related? I would, but I'm not sure how.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoApple View Post

Has anyone on a Pre3 gone back to 2.1.2 to see if it's software related? I would, but I'm not sure how.
    i have tried every available modem firmware for a pre3, all have exactly the same issue
    Update:

Yesterday evening I had major reboot problems. One reboot following the next, until I completely restarted the phone (turning it off and on again). Directly before the reboot orgy, JSTop popped up again and again with the notification of "AutoGC'ed"...

I try to make heads or tails of it and my guess is:
    Yes, it seems to be a Java induced problem.
    No, the OldSpaceSize settings did not help with the reboots.

Or could it be, that JSTop itself poses a problem?

Oh, and @NoApple: your observation, that the Veer gets the same problems when being updated concurs with my observation, that the Pre3 reboot problem was worse with 2.2.0 and then got better again at 2.2.4 but without disappearing completely. Seems to me, that with 2.2.0 the devs at HP added the problem in question and with 2.2.4 they did something to make it a bit more bearable...

Just interpreting what I see. Still have no idea, what the problem is, but I'm still not convinced it's the modem firmware.
    Just interpreting what I see. Still have no idea, what the problem is, but I'm still not convinced it's the modem firmware.
    id say you are seeing a different reboot and not a full reboot that is from a modem crash, i have confirmed the modem crash causes a reboot by pulling crash logs out of the modem itself with the timestamp with the exact time the phone rebooted
    My reboots are definitely just Luna restarts. They sometimes happen while I am speaking on the phone and I can continue speaking until it is rebooted. I just can't hang up or look something up on the phone in that time.
    Update:

Yesterday evening I had major reboot problems. One reboot following the next, until I completely restarted the phone (turning it off and on again). Directly before the reboot orgy, JSTop popped up again and again with the notification of "AutoGC'ed"...

I try to make heads or tails of it and my guess is:
    Yes, it seems to be a Java induced problem.
    No, the OldSpaceSize settings did not help with the reboots.

Or could it be, that JSTop itself poses a problem?

Oh, and @NoApple: your observation, that the Veer gets the same problems when being updated concurs with my observation, that the Pre3 reboot problem was worse with 2.2.0 and then got better again at 2.2.4 but without disappearing completely. Seems to me, that with 2.2.0 the devs at HP added the problem in question and with 2.2.4 they did something to make it a bit more bearable...

Try w/o AutoGC off. I don't think JSTop was ever updated for WebOS 2.X and I think GC is one source of the problem. Maybe try boosting the size to 128 MB? I do have another thread to get to the bottom of what these settings actually control.
    Update: Auto Garbage Collection is bad news for the Pre3. As long as I keep this off, the reboots are back to once or twice a day.
    Java Script Heap does reach more than 90 MB though. Manual GC helps a bit.
    I'm done with this. I've switched to Live Connected (Optus network) and an EU Pre 3. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped try and figure this out - particularly hewball and gregp. Good luck
    My Pre3 is an EU Pre3. I bought it in Germany (as Palm and HP didn't even sell that phone everywhere in Europe - didn't sell any Pre in all fof EU though ...)
    My Pre3 is an EU Pre3. I bought it in Germany (as Palm and HP didn't even sell that phone everywhere in Europe - didn't sell any Pre in all fof EU though ...)
    As hewball said earlier, it seems you have a different reboot issue than those of us with AT&T Pre3s on Telstra's network. I've now had a week free of reboots since switching to my EU Pre3 I've also done enough testing with my different devices and sim cards to confirm that my particular problem occurs with the combination of an AT&T Pre3 and Telstra.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
    As hewball said earlier, it seems you have a different reboot issue than those of us with AT&T Pre3s on Telstra's network. I've now had a week free of reboots since switching to my EU Pre3 I've also done enough testing with my different devices and sim cards to confirm that my particular problem occurs with the combination of an AT&T Pre3 and Telstra.
    That's quite odd actually, since you would expect the hardware to be 100% identical for US and EU phones.

Was there anyone who was able to spot a difference between the software/modem firmware?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
    I know several people with AT&T Pre3s on the other 2 Australian networks, who DON'T have this reboot problem. It has been demonstrated to be a modem firmware problem. That doesn't occur in calls, or (from what I understand) when the phone is streaming data (ie radio app) It's most likely associated with upgrades to Telstras cell firmware or (as suggested to me by a network engineer) the introduction of UTRAN routing by telstra.

Unfortunately this thread has run completely off the original topic!
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    I know several people with AT&T Pre3s on the other 2 Australian networks, who DON'T have this reboot problem....

Unfortunately this thread has run completely off the original topic!
    Yes, as I mentioned, I know of at least one guy in Austria who has no reboot problem either. Which is why I still believe more in a batch of broken modems than in a general software problem.

An the topic is "Pre3 cuts out and reboots randomly" which is exactly what we are discussing...
    Rnp likes this.
    Ok, since turning off AutoGC, I have not yet witnessed another Luna reboot (*knocks on wood*), so the "OldSpaceSize" settings DO seem to work...

Awsome
    Rnp likes this.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Ok, since turning off AutoGC, I have not yet witnessed another Luna reboot (*knocks on wood*), so the "OldSpaceSize" settings DO seem to work...

Awsome
    Keep us informed on how this is going. It'd be great if it was a fix.
    Rnp likes this.