Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    I have the same problem with E-Plus in Germany. When I use my O2 Sim-card, my Pre 3 does not reboot, but when I use the E-Plus Sim-card, it reboots every 2 or 3 hours.

Does anyone have a idea how to fix it? ;-) ;-)
    i have a few patches in and never doctored. IM IN USA

About 30 days ago att finished upgradeing a town that is about 30 minutes away from me with 4g. The random restrarts or battery pull instances have just about disappeared I think. I havent gave close attention but I thought it was happening because of upgrade things. Same thing happens to cable internet when medicom works on their stuff too.

My town is next in line. They should be turning on 4g here any week now but its also wird that I cant say the phone has been doing the black shutdown battery pull or random reset lately either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually very happy with the Pre3 these days!
    Jive Turkey likes this.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Checking back in... my case has ended up with a company called SBE in the UK. Unfortunately they said they will not repair a ATT phone (even though the problem is equally applicable to the UK version). So if anyone has a UK version that's faulting that they want to send can you please PM me and I'll flick you the details.
    Jive Turkey likes this.
    ... deleted ... the part in question just arrived. Seems DHL was the culprit this time-
    Last edited by Buddy1969; 07/31/2012 at 06:07 AM.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Its pretty much the same as we have known for over a month now, we need someone at HP with understanding of Qualcomm Modems used in a Pre3 AND have access to the Qualcomm Code to fix this issue, or someone at Qualcomm that wants to fix this issue.

tl;dr its not going to get fixed
    Yep... pretty much.

Being SUCH a fan of WebOS and early adopter, right from the start, I hate saying this but... time to move on peeps. I seriously cannot believe I held out as long as I did before moving to droid.

I have... apps.. apps that work... a phone that doesn't reboot... a phone that is faaaaaaaaast... and things like AutomateIt where I can do some pretty crazy stuff.
    I WILL wait for openWebOS, be it just that I am curious if it will be ported to my TP and my Pre3 and that I am curious on which droids it will run. a few more months I can manage...
    Bye, lingfish.

Who likes the droid, deserves the droid.

I don't like with so many bugs. Than, I sold my old Milestones 1, 2 and 3... and Pre 3 continue here.

And... this thread is not about stay or not stay.

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Jive Turkey likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    I WILL wait for openWebOS, be it just that I am curious if it will be ported to my TP and my Pre3 and that I am curious on which droids it will run. a few more months I can manage...
    Open webOS will not support existing webOS devices | webOS Nation
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Who likes the droid, deserves the droid.

I don't like with so many bugs.
    Hah. I have seen no bugs thus far -- rock solid, far moreso than my dear Pre 1, 2, 3 and two TP's.

Quote Originally Posted by Rnp
    And... this thread is not about stay or not stay.
    I know what this thread is about -- I experienced the reboots too. I'm merely pointing out the obvious, that others have also said -- this bug is related to proprietory modem firmware and will never get fixed.

Cmon.... random reboots when you get mobile (ie change towers) with a mobile? Dropping down to 2G to get around it?!? Non-accelerated UI?

I'm not dissing WebOS, and I miss her dearly, trust me... but even with the Open stuff coming, it'll take a loooong time before something is even up to date with what is out there, let alone usable and embraced again by developers.

I want so badly to be wrong.
    ... which says nothing about what the community can do (see CE for example) for the userbase and which says nothing about on what droids it can run.
    (and btw has nothing to do with the topic )

so: failquote :P
    ... which says nothing about what the community can do (see CE for example) for the userbase and which says nothing about on what droids it can run.
    (and btw has nothing to do with the topic )

so: failquote :P
    You = wait... wait... wait some more... make-phonecalls-with-reboot-because-CE-won't-fix-modem-firmware...ever.
    Me = make-phonecalls-without-reboot...now.

:P

(Did I mention my toy is quad core too :P)
    Quote Originally Posted by lingfish View Post
    You = wait... wait... wait some more... make-phonecalls-with-reboot-because-CE-won't-fix-modem-firmware...ever.
    Me = make-phonecalls-without-reboot...now.

:P

(Did I mention my toy is quad core too :P)
    Wrong:

Me = wait a bit longer and get WebOS on better-than-you droidphone
    You = droid or even worse i-Jail

And concerning quad or so: if you really want to stick with "****-length" comparisons: it is not the length, it's what you do with it.
    I have seen quads in PCs for a long time, not accelerating anything.
    I have already had quads in those supposedly fast LG phone I had for 2 months, which I gave back because of (now laugh) rebooting issues and because of it being generally slow....

So as I say since now about 30 years: "neither the Hertz nor the number of processors/cores make a device fast - it's what the OS and programs make of it, that counts".

so I stick with it: failquote :P

And I have to repeat myself, to hopefully make this stick:
    no, it is not (or at least not only) the modem software, because I know someone here in my country who has no problem with his Pre3 whatsoever. No reboots.

period.

ps: btw, don't take me too serious with this, I am just goofing around a bit for the sake of argument ... you know, while waiting ... waiting ... waiting, as you said ... :P
    Last edited by Buddy1969; 08/01/2012 at 06:05 AM.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Wrong:

Me = wait a bit longer and get WebOS on better-than-you droidphone
    You = droid or even worse i-Jail

And concerning quad or so: if you really want to stick with "****-length" comparisons: it is not the length, it's what you do with it.
    I have seen quads in PCs for a long time, not accelerating anything.
    I have already had quads in those supposedly fast LG phone I had for 2 months, which I gave back because of (now laugh) rebooting issues and because of it being generally slow....

So as I say since now about 30 years: "neither the Hertz nor the number of processors/cores make a device fast - it's what the OS and programs make of it, that counts".

so I stick with it: failquote :P

And I have to repeat myself, to hopefully make this stick:
    no, it is not (or at least not only) the modem software, because I know someone here in my country who has no problem with his Pre3 whatsoever. No reboots.

period.

ps: btw, don't take me too serious with this, I am just goofing around a bit for the sake of argument ... you know, while waiting ... waiting ... waiting, as you said ... :P
    Getting back to the thread, i.e. Random reboots
    I never get reboots while my Pre3 is on the touchstone at night. I always have some cards open when i put it on to check whether there is a reboot during the night, but so far there have been none. Surely if it was modem firmware, then there would be?
    Has anyone else experiencing random reboots had the same experience?
    I have reboots only when in call with 3G and the signal turns weak or lost.

If the internet connection using 3G is off, I have no problem until now.

About droid... I has more than 12 Android phones & tablets and; sorry who disagree, gave me more problems that my Pres. Problem with charging, so... putz, I have no words.

Other thing: all my devices updated to ICS have a terrible Wifi reception. All, no exceptions.

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoApple View Post
    I never get reboots while my Pre3 is on the touchstone at night. I always have some cards open when i put it on to check whether there is a reboot during the night, but so far there have been none. Surely if it was modem firmware, then there would be?
    I have done the same test as you, leaving cards open while my Pre3 is on the TouchStone overnight. I have had it reboot during the night. It's noticably less often than when not charging though, most nights it doesn't reboot at all. During the day when it's not charging it will reboot multiple times a day.

Someone said earlier in this thread that the reboots will not occur while the phone is charging. The one time I've actually seen my phone reboot while on the TouchStone (every other time it's happened while I was sleeping), it had 100% battery life. So I believe that the phone can reboot while connected to a charger, but only if it's not actively charging.
    Last edited by Jive Turkey; 08/01/2012 at 08:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoApple View Post
    As I understand it the reboots are worse when switching from 1 tower to another or in bad coverage areas.
    If your house is well covered by a single tower this could be reducing your reboots.
    I had this happen when I visited my Dad in rural SA.
    I don't remember my phone rebooting once till I returned to Vic.

Edit: Is it possible the radio is getting a boost while charging giving you a better signal?
    Quote Originally Posted by darth_luigi View Post

Edit: Is it possible the radio is getting a boost while charging giving you a better signal?
    I would think that's quite possible. Or rather being the other way round: while the Pre is running on battery it tries to conserve energy and won't boost the modem as much as it theoretically could. When charged, there is no reason to limit the powerflow to the modem.

And as there are Pre3 that work and others that reboot, my guess is still, that they had a batch of modems with power supply problems with cold solder joint or whatever, making a loose contact, prone to vibration and thermodynamic effects. That would explain why the reboot often occurs when bein called (vibration) and occurs less, when charged (gets warm, metal extends, contact is established).

Just a working theory ofc.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I would think that's quite possible. Or rather being the other way round: while the Pre is running on battery it tries to conserve energy and won't boost the modem as much as it theoretically could. When charged, there is no reason to limit the powerflow to the modem.

And as there are Pre3 that work and others that reboot, my guess is still, that they had a batch of modems with power supply problems with cold solder joint or whatever, making a loose contact, prone to vibration and thermodynamic effects. That would explain why the reboot often occurs when bein called (vibration) and occurs less, when charged (gets warm, metal extends, contact is established).

Just a working theory ofc.
    No offence intended, but one problem with a 14 page (and counting) thread is that those who came in late may not have read the early history. I noted this in my early observations and it seems when the unit's on charge it uses a different set of radio parameters. This is almost certainly to do with powersaving, so when on charge it doesn't use the parts of the firmware that are causing the crash. The modem firmware is absolutely the problem, no questions asked, that IS the problem. There may be other causes for a crash but the modem firmware is the cause of the one being discussed primarily in this thread, when 3G is on and on Telstra (and a few others). Hewball has already proven that by extracting crash logs from the modem baseband if you want to look through pages 4-6 or so of this thread. This is also why it only happens on some carriers, and in some areas more than others. Different carriers use different UTRAN routing configurations, and it seems only a particular config is causing the problem.

Glad we're back on topic. I'm back in the webOS fold after a brief experiment with a Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Nice phone and a good all-rounder, but loses too many points in too many areas to make it superior to the Pre 3 for my liking. That's all listed in http://forums.webosnation.com/other-...-sandwich.html
    Last edited by gregp; 08/04/2012 at 06:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    ... The modem firmware is absolutely the problem, no questions asked, that IS the problem. ...[/url]

Ok, if this IS so sure, then you might be able to explain to me following situation:
    1) I started off with the Pre3 in the ORANGE Network here in Austria on 2.2.0. I had frequent reboots (mostly while on the phone or after writing/receiving an SMS).
    2) After 2.2.4 Update, reboots shrank from 6-8 a day to 1 or 2 a day
    3) I know of at least one person who has a Pre3 in Austria running on ORANGE as well and having no reboots.
    4) After changing from ORANGE to 3 (Three = one of the best 3G networks in Austria with brilliant coverage and very cheap rates) the reboot situation did not change.

So if it was a modem software problem, wouldn't at least point 3) not be possible?

I am confused, so maybe you can shed light on this, why two Pre3 in the same network are behaving differently, one rebooting, the other not?? If it was the modem software, how could 2.2.0 to 2.2.4 make the reboots better? Has the modemsoftware been updated as well?