Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    My Pre3 (unlocked ROW phone on O2 in Germany) just started this random rebooting a couple of days ago, about when the HP App Catalog went offline here. It's not associated with data usage, since I only turn on data if I'll be outside for an extended period of time. Otherwise I always have wifi turned on. It's happening to me both at home and at the office, where I have to use VPN to connect with university wifi. Oddly enough, it doesn't seem to be a full reboot, because the phone hasn't lose my VPN connection when it comes back on.

I'm going to try uncoupling Preware from App Tuckerbox and see if it makes any difference. In the meantime, I'm hoping the App Catalog will be fixed soon whether it's connected with the odd rebooting or not.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I suspect then your issue is separate to this one. So far, this crash appears to be caused by the modem baseband crashing when on UMTS, so the problem would only occur when 3G is enabled and data usage is turned on. Symptoms may appear the same but I think the cause would be different.

I last contacted them about it on June 1 and am still waiting to hear back. Probably time for my weekly catchup with my friends in the UK webOS support team.
    Jive Turkey likes this.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    AT&T Pre3 started crashing randomly a few days ago. Several possible issues: wifi turned off, HSPA+ on, used it for tethering (but then turned that off and rebooted), also getting a Google Sync error continuously, sitting on a touchstone. Seemed like it was running hot. My feeling is that the Google issue was causing continuous transmission over cellular, heating the phone, and the charger also contributing, so it was a heat issue. Removed the Google account, went back to wifi, will see if the issue continues.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Had a chat with my good mate Matt tonight. No news. I'm informed I'll be contacted when there is some progress to report. At least they know I'm not going away. Perhaps one day this parable of Christ will eventually be fulfilled...

"And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint; Saying, There was in a city a judge, which feared not God, neither regarded man: And there was a widow in that city; and she came unto him, saying, Avenge me of mine adversary. And he would not for a while: but afterward he said within himself, Though I fear not God, nor regard man; Yet because this widow troubleth me, I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me." Lk 18v1-5

I'll let you decide who the characters are in this case...
    Jive Turkey likes this.
    Had mine repaired, because it got even worse. Volume buttons didn't work anymore etc.
    Turns out that a flex cable was damaged and had been replaced.

A few problems have been solved with that but sadly not the rebooting thing. I got no patches, no preware, no app-tucker-box or anything else on the device. The reboot is not as frequent as before but still there (mostly when sending SMS or speaking on the phone, but also when the devide is lying on the table and not being touched).
    WiFi hotspot worked with 2.2.0 (the way I got it back from repair) but don't work now, after the update to 2.2.4

I personally am fed up with the Pre3 and think about changing to the Galaxy S3 altogether (there are more WebOS devs at Android now anyway...)
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    I personally am fed up with the Pre3 and think about changing to the Galaxy S3 altogether (there are more WebOS devs at Android now anyway...)
    That's exactly what I did last weekend. Fed up with waiting that little bit longer for open webOS.

I cannot now, in retrospect, believe I hung around for so long. This phone (S3), and sadly the OS, make webOS look unbelievably lame and stupid (which isn't as surprising until you actually finally move).

I'm so in love with this thing, including the hardware (yeah, nice finally having an OS that actually [i]uses[/] hardware accel for the display!).
    Quote Originally Posted by lingfish View Post
    That's exactly what I did last weekend. Fed up with waiting that little bit longer for open webOS.

I cannot now, in retrospect, believe I hung around for so long. This phone (S3), and sadly the OS, my!).
    I don't think o penwebos will fix this problem. It would require the modem firmware to be upgraded. Not the os
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    I don't think o penwebos will fix this problem. It would require the modem firmware to be upgraded. Not the os
    Course not, but it'll hopefully drive adoption of the platform, and thus focus back on the modem... or in my case, webOS on badass hardware.
    I updated to 2.2.5, and the random reboot seemed to stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by sancase View Post
    I can't see how that is possible, unless the bug was in the OS code not checking for/liking losing its connection to the modem...
    Quote Originally Posted by sancase View Post
    Care to send me a copy of this version and ill compare the modem firmware

Cheers Hewball
    since when was there webOS 2.2.5?
    I think only some carriers in US have 2.2.5.
    I don't think there is an OTA update for it anywhere in Europe and I don't think there is a Doctor for it yet.

Anyways. If this would purely be a modem firmware problem, then why did the problem get better when I updated from 2.2.0 to 2.2.4? It is not gone, but does not happen that often anymore.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    I think only some carriers in US have 2.2.5.
    I don't think there is an OTA update for it anywhere in Europe and I don't think there is a Doctor for it yet.
    There is no public 2.2.5 anywhere in the world, and I have only heard of one person who has got it from an internal Palm server. It's not available anywhere as far as I know.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Rnp likes this.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Latest from this end... I got an email from HP saying I needed to send the device back to the UK for repair. I indicated by reply my preparedness to do this providing they understood I use an ATT Pre 3 and that lots of others have the same problem i.e. it's not specific to my device. Am yet to receive a reply.

Anyway I picked myself up a Samsung Galaxy Nexus yesterday, largely but not only as a result of this problem. I don't really like it but hopefully it'll keep me going until this problem is fixed. http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...-sandwich.html if you're interested.
    Last edited by gregp; 06/21/2012 at 07:11 AM. Reason: fixed link
    Rnp likes this.
    I've switched to a Veer at the moment, and I'm liking it more than the pre 3 :/
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Theres a lot i like about the veer too but the lack of smart office and a good camera and flash mean it doesnt work long term for me.
    Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyron431 View Post
    I've switched to a Veer at the moment, and I'm liking it more than the pre 3 :/
    What firmware? Mine was rebooting on 2.2.3/2.2.4
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

I'm still on 2.1.2 on the veer. Apart from some minor GPS issues and the fact that I have to rebuy all my apps, its been perfect, fast, smoothish and no random reboots at all.
    Spent 3 weeks in Europe (Italy, Switzerland, France, Luxembourg, Belgium, Holland, UK) with my AT&T Pre 3 - no reboots
    Back to Australia - reboots
    Now in Noo Zeelund - no reboots.

Definitely an issue with Telstra.
    Siobhán

Palm III, Treo 600/650/680/750, Pre, Pre3, AT&T Pre3, tp 4G, tp 64GB.

I am an HP Employee. I am not associated in anyway with the development of webOS or associated devices. Opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent HP or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP or Palm.
    Jive Turkey likes this.