Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I'm in a regional area and am having the same problem of random restarts.

Has anyone got any news on a solution? I need a phone as a business tool and the Pre3 is great, but extremely frustrating when reboots lose notifications.
    So far the problem hasnt cost my business anything but the day it does is going to inch me closer to a launch date BB10 phone rather than a 2013 bb10 phone.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Having had no reply by COB last Wednesday I came off another UK chat session tonight with 'Matt'. Hint: if you ever get connected to a UK support rep called 'Matt' prepare for poor service in case you get the same one as me.

He started off saying the case was still escalated which I figured since I hadn't heard back. But then he started asking questions like what carrier was I on, and then when he realised it wasn't every carrier said it was the carrier's fault. He said the phone isn't compatible with every carrier (a statement he didn't back up with any fact when I pushed him) and other nonsense. In fact, have a read for yourself:

7:49 PM Connecting...
    7:49 PM Connected. A support representative will be with you shortly.
    7:49 PM Support session established with Matt.

7:49 PM Matt: Thank you for contactign the HP WebOS chat support. At this moment all agents are busy, unfortunately I will need to ask you to wait for the next available agent or contact us back later on today. Thanks and sorry for the inconveniences.
    7:50 PM GregP: isn't the point of a queue with a waiting time so we can see how long the wait is and then choose to wait for the next available one?
    7:51 PM Matt: about ten minutes.
    7:51 PM GregP: OK I'll wait thanks.
    7:52 PM Matt: Thank you.
    8:01 PM Matt: Thank you for contacting the HP WebOS Customer Support, my name is Matthew, How can I assist you today?
    8:02 PM GregP: Hi I'm following up on chat id 134440336.
    8:02 PM GregP: I was told to come back if no-one got back to me by Wednesday last week, which they haven't. The problem is still happening and more people are reporting the same bug.
    8:09 PM Matt: Just a minute please.
    8:10 PM Matt: The case still escalated.
    8:11 PM GregP: Has any progress been made?
    8:12 PM Matt: No report from the technicians yet.
    8:13 PM GregP: Can I discuss this directly with the technicians working on the problem? It really is frustrating for us all having our phones restart multiple times a day just because we want to use them as a 3G phone, exactly as designed.
    8:13 PM GregP: So I'm eager to get a swift resolution to this.
    8:15 PM Matt: Who is your carrier?
    8:15 PM GregP: I'm currently on Telstra in Australia but there are users on Telcel in Mexico and others reporting the same issue in Europe.
    8:17 PM Matt: Which other carriers you have issues with?
    8:19 PM GregP: I personally have only had the issue on Telstra but when I reported it on a forum I found many others reporting the same issue so the information I'm put together represents all the different people / regions who have reported problems. Naturally not everyone will report and not every carrier will have the same RRC / UTRAN configuration which appears to be flushing out this baseband bug. But clearly enough are having the problem to indicate there's a fundamental firmware bug in the modem baseband that needs urgent attention.
    8:20 PM Matt: The thing is that that phone does not work properly with every carrier.
    8:20 PM Matt: Have you try a different carrier?
    8:22 PM GregP: I see no reason why it shouldn't. It's designed to work on 3G on the published frequencies, if there is some issue in the firmware that causes it to crash then it should be fixed. I have tried a different carrier that worked OK however it's only a matter of time until the same thing happens with that carrier. This I'm sure is why more and more people are reporting this as time goes by, because carriers change their network configuration within the specifications which is where this bug raises its head.
    8:24 PM Matt: Have you try a different carrier other than Telstra?
    8:24 PM GregP: Please read my reply. I already answered that question.
    8:24 PM Matt: Sorry.
    8:24 PM Matt: So it is the carrier
    8:26 PM GregP: I have only tested it on two carriers and the problem only happens on Telstra. However others have reported the same problem on different carriers in different countries. So it's not just Telstra, it is other carriers too. And it's only happening as far as we know with the HP Pre 3, no other manufacturer's phones on Telstra. Which suggests the problem's with the phone.
    8:27 PM Matt: I mentioned that the phone is not compatible with every carrier.
    8:27 PM GregP: Prove it
    8:27 PM GregP: And explain then why the phone worked perfectly for six months only Telstra and only started faulting recently
    8:30 PM GregP: Where does HP publish a specification to say the Pre 3 isn't compatible with every carrier? I've never heard any manufacturer claim that other than if frequencies don't match up. Certainly not to the point of the phone crashing.
    8:30 PM Matt: Carrier issue.
    8:31 PM Matt: Actually the case in escalated and if you want to wait for the technicians answer is OK, I am just giving you a heads up. They will give you the same answer.
    8:32 PM GregP: Yes I will thanks. Please provide me their contact details. You have nothing to gain by collectively burying your heads in the sand and pointing the finger at someone else. There's a serious bug with your hardware that only you can fix. I don't see how you benefit by allowing that to remain in the field.
    8:34 PM Matt: You mean the technicians information?
    8:35 PM GregP: Yes thanks so I can discuss it with them directly
    8:35 PM GregP: And by the way if you blame the carrier what's the solution? Once every carrier updates its systems and the bug's happening on every carrier who do you blame then?
    8:36 PM Matt: Actually you can not. They notify us and then we will notify you eventually.
    8:37 PM GregP: OK. If you blame the carrier what's the final solution? Once every carrier updates its systems and the bug's happening on every carrier who do you blame then? How can you feel it's not in your interests to fix this problem? Heck you guys made the hardware, it's your hardware that's crashing on multiple carriers, how can you not be interested?
    8:38 PM Matt: Just wait for the technicians reply.
    8:38 PM Matt: Is there anything else I can do for you today?
    8:39 PM GregP: You're really trying to get rid of me aren't you?
    8:39 PM GregP: I can't believe how poor your service has been today.
    8:39 PM Matt: There is no other information I can provide you.
    8:39 PM Matt: The case is escalated and you trying to argue a point with the wrong person.
    8:40 PM GregP: Um actually no... you keep coming back with these glib 'carrier issue' comments - if you're not prepared to stand behind them don't make them and then run away when I push you on them.
    8:40 PM Matt: I provided you the information and you still debating with me.
    8:40 PM GregP: Please provide me with this chat ID
    8:41 PM Matt: Therefore, the only thing you can do is to wait for the technicians answer and i hope they find you a solution.
    8:41 PM Matt: So far this is all the information I can provide you.
    8:41 PM GregP: If the case is still escalated I wonder how you can tell me what their answer was going to be...
    8:41 PM Matt: Because is an known issue.
    8:42 PM GregP: So I come back to my earlier question... what then is the solution?
    8:42 PM GregP: Blaming the carrier only delays fixing the problem.
    8:43 PM Matt: Lets hope the technicians can find you one, I can not.
    8:43 PM GregP: Chat ID please
    8:43 PM Matt: I just provide you the information about how your phone is not compatible with every carrier.
    8:43 PM Matt: Case number: 135830490
    8:43 PM GregP: A statement I asked you to prove which you didn't.
    8:43 PM GregP: Thanks have a good night

I guess I'll just wait another week or so and try my luck again.

Greg
    Last edited by gregp; 05/21/2012 at 06:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    ....................I guess I'll just wait another week or so and try my luck again................Greg
    Plus 1 for tenacity, I can't see HP bothering to ever do anything about it, at the moment, I just use one of the top bar patches to toggle 2g/3g/auto to be honest, I never really notice much diff on telstra 2g there are so few people on it now, and if I tether or send photos I just toggle 3g for a short time.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    I just use one of the top bar patches to toggle 2g/3g/auto to be honest, I never really notice much diff on telstra 2g there are so few people on it now, and if I tether or send photos I just toggle 3g for a short time.
    Exactly what i have have been doing
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Onya Greg, keep at them!!!! If he says 'it's a known issue' there'll be others reporting it as well.
    Last edited by NoApple; 05/22/2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: I didn't want to quote the whole message
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NoApple View Post
    Onya Greg, keep at them!!!! If he says 'it's a known issue' there'll be others reporting it as well.
    Hi, NoApple here, I'm just wondering how many users having this problem here are using Mugen batteries? I swapped mine this arvo for the original battery (after 3 restarts this morning) and have not had a restart since. Could it be the battery?
    It's not a battery problem. Mine still does it.
    Siobhn

Palm III, Treo 600/650/680/750, Pre, Pre3, AT&T Pre3, tp 4G, tp 64GB.

I am an HP Employee. I am not associated in anyway with the development of webOS or associated devices. Opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent HP or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP or Palm.
    I had my first 2G reboot the other day.
    I have installed the "GSM 3G GPS and Brightness in Device Menu" patch so I can force the phone off 3G.
    The other day I was trying to log onto my brothers WIFI and couldn't remember the password after the second attempt the phone crashed like it does on 3G.
    I hope this doesn't start happening more. :s
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Hopefully not. I wouldn't be bothered about one isolated crash if you were trying to do something unusual network-related.

I'll get back onto HP when I get a chance (if I haven't got an Android phone by then )
    Hi everyone, I don't know if this will work, but a telstra tech just suggested I try a different apn. By default, our phones use telstra,wap, which isn't used anymore, he said others were having problems, similar, to this.

He strongly suggested going to manual apn settings and trying telstra.internet or telstra.data if telstra.internet doesnt stop the reboots.

Leave u/name password blank

Have just changed mine, will monitor it over the weekend.

mine usually reboots after I try to make a call or after the call..next thing I know the device is rebooting
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    OK will give it a crack. I did once try telstra.aph but that made no difference.

I found without a username and password it reported an invalid APN setting but still got 3G after. Will monitor. Am not hopeful but is worth a try.
    Well, dont think that helped, what to do, what to do android??

Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Ditto. Crashed on telstra.internet, which I think I had tried once before. telstra.data wouldn't get me a 3g connection. Square one here we come. http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...jump-ship.html is an option, but webOS really is slick....

2G is the best workaround for me at this stage for general usage.
    Last edited by gregp; 06/01/2012 at 04:07 AM.
    I've been on telstra.iph for the past few weeks, which didn't help. telstra.data gave me an error, so I'm trying out telstra.internet now.

Update: Phone just crashed
    Last edited by Jive Turkey; 06/01/2012 at 04:18 AM.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    OK just finished another chat session. A more polite conversation this time thankfully. No news particularly, except that someone does appear to be doing something because the Level 3 tech wanted to know what other SIMs I'd tried. Apparently they were going to contact me today to ask this but I beat them to it. Hmm. Anyway at least it's not been totally forgotten.

They've got hewball's crash log now, perhaps they'll frame it, or use it as the wallpaper on the corporate dartboard or something.

Thus, in keeping with the characteristics HPalm has faithfully taught us over the past three years, "...and so we wait..."
    wow I'm sorry you UK peeps are having so much trouble!! My pre3 on AT&T works very well and never reboots. I will say that using some of the patches may help these issues though. Like these patches, system control optimization, unthrottle download manager, remove dropped packet logging, muffle system logging, disk cache mod, these are the best at smoothing out webOS and might stop that rebooting issue. Its worth a try . But I know when I had the issue on my original pre it was the processor that was the issue . I over worked it lol and it would shut the pho e down.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Thanks for the post Shadavis08. If you read back through this (rather long now) thread you'll find it's unrelated to apps and entirely related to the modem firmware on certain carriers. So patches or no patches won't make any difference.

It's not a UK issue particularly; in fact almost everyone reporting the problem (including myself) has the AT&T phone. And most of us are in Australia on Telstra, but there are others on other carriers with the same issue.

Best of luck and hopefully you don't hit the problem with your carrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    ...................hopefully you don't hit the problem with your carrier.
    Funnily enough, that is the ONE thing that "might" get a response!!

edit: If telstra get a 4G samsung sg3, I will be very tempted to jump!

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast