Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    The lingo here is very specific so pay attention... You can buy an off contract SIM card from an ATT corporate store (NOT a Mom & Pop ATT retailer) and buy a "post paid" (NOT pre paid) account with a month to month plan. The rest of the options are up to you as far as amount of data, talk minutes, texting etc. That's the legit way to get H+ off contract. The alternative would be to purchase an unactivated H+ capable SIM card from ebay and use the original iPhone to activate it using iTunes with instructions in this thread http://forums.webosnation.com/gsm-no...ited-data.html
    The first method caps your data, the second gives you the unlimited plan. Both are extremely expensive compared to the Straight Talk plans mentioned above. I only point these options out because they appear to be the only way to use ATT off contract and get H+ data. Might be a bit off topic for this thread but figured it might help some folks out as far as available options reading this and considering trying ATT.
    FYI- As far as I can tell, the loophole allowing you to open a new unlimited data plan using an old iphone is now closed. I think it closed in last December.
    Sprint Treo 650 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> Sprint Centro --> Sprint Pre- --> AT&T Veer/ Pre 2/ Pre 3, Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by jc-Treo View Post
    I just got a straight talk account for my Pre 3.

There was no special provisioning. However, you do have to change the phone's APN and MMS settings. This can done under preferences in the phone app.

I can verify that I am getting the same HSPA speeds as when I was on AT&T.

Warning- chatter in various forums says that if you exceed somewhere around 2GB/Month, or a few hundred meg/day, they will shut off your data.
    what are the APN and MMS settings for Straight Talk? I get lots of dropped calls on H2O and I am thinking about trying another carrier
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    what are the APN and MMS settings for Straight Talk? I get lots of dropped calls on H2O and I am thinking about trying another carrier
    I think these are what I used...But they tell you what they should be when you activate your SIM card.

Straight Talk APN Settings | WONTEK
    Sprint Treo 650 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> Sprint Centro --> Sprint Pre- --> AT&T Veer/ Pre 2/ Pre 3, Touchpad
    AT&T just made the announcement below. Since the Straight Talk $45 plan is "unlimited", does this mean we won't see the throtlting or shut-off @ 2gb now? We'll see it @ 3gb / 5gb?

"Anyone hoping for a truly unlimited "unlimited" data plan is still out of luck, but AT&T has announced some changes (or a clarification, as it puts it) to its throttling procedures today that will at least give you a bit more room to work with. For customers on an unlimited plan with a 3G or "4G" phone (i.e. HSPA+), you'll now be able to enjoy full data speeds up to 3GB, after which you'll then see your speeds decrease until the start of the next billing cycle. If you have a 4G LTE phone, however, you'll have a full 5GB to play with before the throttling kicks in. That's as opposed to the roughly 2GB of full data speeds that was available in both cases before -- and, as with the throttling that was imposed originally, these changes only apply to those still on an unlimited data plan, not those on AT&T's tiered data plans."
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I use an unlocked EU phone I got on ebay with the ATT unlimited $50 plan ... I dont get 4g speeds but I get edge/3G speeds. I bought phone off ebay.. then went to ATT corp store and told them I wanted a plan and had a phone already they gave me a SIM card and I was good to go.
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeatherion View Post
    AT&T just made the announcement below. Since the Straight Talk $45 plan is "unlimited", does this mean we won't see the throtlting or shut-off @ 2gb now? We'll see it @ 3gb / 5gb?

Sounds like that is only for grandfathered unlimited plans, so I am not sure it would change with ST.

The problem with ST is that they do not give a clear number that will cause your data to be turned off. Its seems they look at both month-to-date as well as daily downloading. The general consensus I saw on the forums a few weeks ago was something around 2GB/month and 200-400MB/day. But it some people reported they used beyond these amounts with no issues. Some people though that it might be if there was an unusual jump in the amount you were downloading. (If they detect tethering, that will also result in your data being immediately cut off.)
    Has anyone on the Straight Talk plan with an AT&T sim gotten MMS to work properly? Data APN works fine, but not able to send or receive MMS and I've tried a handful of settings.
    Straight talk on Veer, used the settings in the card provided (the same settings as the poster several posts above had in his link).
    calls and messaging work.

speedtest.net straight talk
    download 6.11
    upload 0.85

Speedtest. net sprint
    download 1.31
    upload 0.66

of course straight talk could throttle down to the sprint levels....
    Update for successful Internet APN & MMS APN settings:

Internet APN: att.mvno
    username: blank
    password: blank

mms APN: att.mvno
    mms properties:
    mmsc: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    mms proxy: 66.209.11.33:80
    max size: 1048576
    Has anyone on the Straight Talk plan with an AT&T sim gotten MMS to work properly? Data APN works fine, but not able to send or receive MMS and I've tried a handful of settings.
    So you can do ST with an existing AT&T SIM? I thought you had to use an ST SIM. Interesting. Is there some advantage to doing that, considering they'll port your number to an ST SIM anyway?
    question:
    one of my veers is reporting 3G and the other H++ with the same settings and sim. Any clues? The 3g is slower which is the one i initially activated but I popped the sim into the other veer and it showed h++.
    both veers are unlocked.
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    So you can do ST with an existing AT&T SIM? I thought you had to use an ST SIM. Interesting. Is there some advantage to doing that, considering they'll port your number to an ST SIM anyway?
    Sorry for any confusion in the wording... I meant being on ST using on of their AT&T sims, not the T-Mobile one. I don't think they allow you to use someone else's sim on their service if I understood what I read on their site. Again, sorry for any confusion.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

mms properties:

AWESOME. Thank you! I confirm that these settings worked for me on a Pre 3 with StraighTalk. I now have an H+ with StraightTalk instead of only the 3G that I had on AT&T.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts

mms properties:
    If the MMS doesn't work with the IP address in the MMS Proxy, try "wireless.cingular.com" instead appears to be a mechanism for ATT to switch traffic around (for maintenance? for reliability?)
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12