1.    #1  
    Hey,

I just got a Pre 3 the day before yesterday. All is well, and I absolutely love the device.

However, some Logitech Ultimate Ears earphones 500vi (400vi)s do not work properly with it.

They are standard 3.5mm earphones and fit properly into the Pre 3s 3.5mm earphone jack.

The issue is that these earphones directly CAUSE the "stuck in headset mode problem". I've tried with the included HP/Palm earphones, with a random pair of headphones I have at home, and an older model of Ultimate Ears. ALL of them work flawlessly. They go in the phone and work, come out the phone and the phone is fine.

It is just thea 500vi/400vis. Specifically I put them in the Pre 3 and the phone ignores their input, continuing to use the speaker. I take them out put them back in and they work. And then when I take them out, the phone thinks they are still plugged in, ie. Muted audio. They stay in this mode till either a reboot or I take in and out one of the other pairs of earphones.

To make matters worse, the earphones worked fine on my Pre 2.

Technical support natural blames the other party.

Logitech support: Laughed at me and said if the earphones work in all my devices but the Pre 3, it is the Pre 3s fault.
    HP support: The Pre 3 isn't released so they can't help much, but its the earphones fault because all earphones work except this pair.

These earphones cost me $100, so I don't really want to just throw them away, but no company will let me return them

Please tell me what's wrong!
    Thanks for your time.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    If you install TouchVol you can control the Headset/Speaker setting manually. Not ideal, but it's better than it being beyond assistance.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    If you install TouchVol you can control the Headset/Speaker setting manually. Not ideal, but it's better than it being beyond assistance.
    Thanks! Didn't know about that one. Good temporary fix.

Anyone else have ideas about what I should do? Bite the bullet and buy some other earphones?

Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    Thanks! Didn't know about that one. Good temporary fix.

Anyone else have ideas about what I should do? Bite the bullet and buy some other earphones?

According to the Logitech site yours are iPhone compatible - with the 4 conductor plug. I don't know why they work with the 2 and not the 3, but you may want to try a short 3.5mm to 3.5mm extension - (I have a Y cable that I use).

I have a pair of Etymotic HF2 (or something like that - they have no markings other than L and R!) that work fine on my Pre3 but confuse the extra USB audio dongle I have on my PC (SIIG SoundWave) and my old Creative Zen Vision:M. The extension isolates the 4th contact so it can not confuse things....

edc
    I've also read that a very small amount of graphite powder in the headphone jack can lube up the moving parts enough to prevent sticking.

Just don't use too much!
    If I were to hazard a guess, I would assume its a problem using a TRRS connector on a jack made for TRS. (see TRS connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Something like this should probably make it usable: iPhone headset to headphone Adapter, 3.5mm TRS Male to 3.5mm TRRS 4 conductor Female I have no idea about the website linked here, just the first one google found with the right connectors. I would assume you could find this cheaper as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    I've also read that a very small amount of graphite powder in the headphone jack can lube up the moving parts enough to prevent sticking.

Just don't use too much!
    Graphite is bad news in this case. It works wonders in a door lock, for e.g., but its electrical conductivity and other properties are not good for the device. In addition to seeping deep into the device and causing conductivity or shorting issues, it can also corrode certain metals.

The headphone jack has contact points that are not moving to necessitate lubrication. They make contact by tension as if they were spring-loaded. The jack should always be kept clean.

I think the problem is in fact TRS/TRRS related as bi0tech and chejlava suggested. It seems the extra band touches the contact point a second time sending two signals to the device whenever its inserted or unplugged. Maybe the control software could be made to delay by a few milliseconds or ignore the second signal altogether?
    maybe its the 4 segment connector that's the problem... I use a set of ultimate ears triple fi 10's and they work perfectly... they only have a standard 3-segment connector. Maybe you can try a short extension cable which has a three segment connector to the phone?