Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1.    #1  
    I find some wifi foibles discussed elsewhere since 2.2.4 and have put on the fix back to 2.2.3 offered by guyfromnam ...my question is different and I don't find any reference to this: I often am out of range for my home secured wpa2 wifi and "see" around 5-6 other access points certain of which are unsecured but have never ever been able to connect with any of them ..why would that be? Is there something I am doing wrong? I am far from being expert at this (or anything for that matter) but am capable of following directions (sometimes) so would appreciate figuring this out...tia!
    Last edited by patapoof; 02/08/2012 at 01:16 PM. Reason: wrong stuff
  2. alan sh's Avatar
    Posts
    766 Posts
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    #2  
    Is this for a TouchPad (you mentioned 3.0.4/5) or the Pre3 (this forum)?

    Alan
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    Is this for a TouchPad (you mentioned 3.0.4/5) or the Pre3 (this forum)?

    Alan
    the result of alcoholic encephalopathy...
  4. #4  
    What errors do you get when trying to connect? Also, have you tried connecting to them w/ another device? The list of possibles is almost endless:
    • they could be open but w/ MAC filters enabled
    • DHCP or IP allocation is already at the limit so you cant get an IP address
    • it could be a guest network w/ time-of-day restrictions
    • signals too weak for reliable connection?
    • interference (bluetooth, other WiFi on the same channel, 2.4GHz phone, microwave...)
    • WiFi A, B, G or N explicitly set on router or access point (does Pre3 have the A band?)
    • faulty hardware or firmware on router or AP
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    What errors do you get when trying to connect? Also, have you tried connecting to them w/ another device? The list of possibles is almost endless:
    • they could be open but w/ MAC filters enabled
    • DHCP or IP allocation is already at the limit so you cant get an IP address
    • it could be a guest network w/ time-of-day restrictions
    • signals too weak for reliable connection?
    • interference (bluetooth, other WiFi on the same channel, 2.4GHz phone, microwave...)
    • WiFi A, B, G or N explicitly set on router or access point (does Pre3 have the A band?)
    • faulty hardware or firmware on router or AP
    -MAC filters ...I have no idea but there are 6 of them, what's the chance all are filtered? it's a rural residential area...
    -DHCP or IP allocation at limit ...these are homes where they are not sophisticated enough to enable wep or wpa security, so I don't know
    -time of day ...dunno, various netgear,belken,linksys original names posted
    -interference ...have 5.8gh phone here, other homes not contiguous ...at least 150 ft
    -a,b,g,n ...all of them? ...I don't think pre3 has a
    -faulty hardware ...my router is linksys wrt150n ...resets fine, connects to touchpad and laptop fine

    I don't know more...
  6.    #6  
    seems like the phone has "good days" and "bad days" ...today, in kitchen other end of house and wifi fast and fantastic with incredibly quick load times of complex webpages and mail, etc. Other days barely connects and if so drops or won't reconnect ...nothing, NOTHING else changed !! ...huh?
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    seems like the phone has "good days" and "bad days" ...
    Thats likely the case. I noticed weird behavior in the past where other devices (laptop, TP, TV) would connect, but not the Pre3. The WiFi icon would just go crazy w/ the animations as it tries.

    Not sure what to suggest as I havent been plagued w/ this particular issue.

Posting Permissions