Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For the last month or so my Pre3 has been randomly losing it's network connection (voice/data) and the only way to get it to reconnect is to reboot my device. This is happening in an area where I normally have 5 bars of 4G connectivity.

I have done a Full Erase and Doctored my Pre3 and the situation persists. I lose my connection anytime from 0-10 times a day. Sometimes I can go several days without rebooting and others it seems to happen every time I get an SMS message. There doesn't seem to be any pattern (at least from my actions) to it.

Does anyone have any ideas on any patches or apps that might be causing this?

I can't imagine anything would intentionally affect the device's radio. Could it be UberKernel, a certain patch, Save/Restore, an app? I love my Pre3 but after wiping and starting over hasn't resolved the issue I'm getting frustrated to the point where if I can't fix it I will be forced to revert to my BlackBerry. Randomly losing connectivity and not realizing it until I check my phone is so frustrating and unacceptable. Thanks.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    If it were me I would doctor it and then run it stock for a few days before I install any patch or kernel. Then you will get a reasonable chance of knowing whether it's the device or something you installed. I know it's hard to resist Homebrew stuff once you've started, but it seems that this type of experiment would be useful.

If I had to guess (which I do), I would suspect the "minimal logging" patch. People have reported similar problems with Wifi and Sounds with this.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    I have noticed the same problem in the last week or so, I've been on 2.2.4 for a while (stock kernel) and have only installed xwTweak lately.../ I thought it was something to do with me always changing between 2G/3G to save battery but I guess not.
  4.    #4  
    For the last few days I've been trying to figure out what's causing this. I've been removing stuff, a few at a time and it is still doing it. I've removed about twenty patches and UberKernel and it's still losing the connection randomly. It will lose it five times in an hour and then not again for 8-48 hours.

This is all that I have left homebrew-wise:

15px fonts
    4G Icon Instead of H Plus
    Add Resend Option
    Add Scrollbars to the Browser
    Add Select All
    Advanced Options in Launcher
    All Advanced Patches (ATT/VZW) except Mode one
    Capture with Volume Keys
    Character Counter
    Date and AM-PM Indicator
    Delete Email from Dashboard
    E-mail Portrait Only
    Edit Any Videos Metadata
    Email Mega Mix
    Hold Tap Context menu (Both Email & Browser patches)
    HP webOS Carrier String
    Immediately Load High Resolution Photos
    Improved Photo Naming Pre
    Improved Video Naming Pre
    Just Type Scrim Fix
    Mimic Outlook Formatting on Email Reply/Forward
    Movable Voice Dial
    MP4 Video Downloader
    Multi Mod (for Browser)
    New Card Button
    Private Browsing
    Silence Missing Resource Handlers
    UberCalendar
    View Source of Webpage

GSM Wave Codec

Glass Effect Suite Theme

App Tuckerbox
    Dr. Battery
    FileMgr
    freeTether
    Impostah
    Internalz Pro
    Preware
    Save/Restore
    SysToolsMgr
    Theme Manager
    Tweaks
    xwTweak

Considering a full wipe and doctor did not resolve the issue I'm not sure how trying again would help. I don't see how any of these patches could cause the issue as they mostly enhance the messaging, email, and web browser apps (which are lacking on stock webOS).

I'm really not sure what to do at this point so any suggestions are appreciated.

Edit: I removed the Virtual Keyboard Patch and am still having the same issue. :/
    Last edited by cbosdell; 02/11/2012 at 08:13 AM.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
  5.    #5  
    i just did a full wipe and fresh doctor about two hours ago. About twenty minutes ago, shortly after restoring everything it lost connection again. Besides my webOS profile and app store apps the ONLY things I had installed were Preware, App Tuckerbox, Save/Restore, Dr. Battery, Theme Manager, and Keyring. No patches or anything else installed.

I could really use some input. I can't use my phone when its like this.
    did any of you try "guyfromnam"s posting of a wifi fix which puts back the wifi stuff from 2.2.3 on your 2.2.4 device (it's in preware) ...helps maybe??
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cbosdell View Post
    i just did a full wipe and fresh doctor about two hours ago. About twenty minutes ago, shortly after restoring everything it lost connection again. Besides my webOS profile and app store apps the ONLY things I had installed were Preware, App Tuckerbox, Save/Restore, Dr. Battery, Theme Manager, and Keyring. No patches or anything else installed.

I could really use some input. I can't use my phone when its like this.
    I think gufromnam's patch is going to get some workout soon...
    -
    - my webOS apps: Bishop Scores, EquiAnalgesia, EquiSteroidia, OB Tracker -
    - Missing webOS phones when I use my iPhone5 and iPad Mini. At least I have my TouchPad to web surf still! -
  8.    #8  
    I was getting ready to post a message on here about how that patch seems to have done the trick...when I lost network connection again. Made it 28 hours this time. I'm really open to trying anything at this point. :/
    Very likely is not going to be useful but... try to turn off the network time ( under date and time ).
    I think to remember reading of someone who had issues ( in those cases, reboots linked to some specific provider ) and that solved it by turning off that feature ( again, I'm really going by memory... I could be easily mistaken )
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    When I lose connection I find it can take quite a long time to reconnect again. Although this isn't necessarily the same problem that you're having, I have found a way to get the phone to "re-find" the network without rebooting and I figured that that might help.

I have my phone set to always 2G with data off (as I have WiFi all over the site where I work and sticking with 2G keeps battery life up and signal level up). There are network black-spots around the site and when I am leaving one of these I have no signal (for an extended period of time before it decides to reconnect). However, if I swipe down the top-right menu (one of the Advanced System Patches), select Network and then select Only 2G Networks, as if by magic I find I have full signal again. Note that, for me anyway, I don't have to switch to 3G and then back to 2G, just selecting what was already selected seems to give the phone the kick up the behind that it requires to remember that it's a phone and should really be trying to connect to the network...
  11.    #11  
    I've tried both of the last two suggestions to no avail. The connection was retained for twenty-two hours this time before losing connection. It really does seem to happen when either sending or receiving an sms message. I don't think I've seen it happen any other time.

Again, I appreciate everyone who has replied and any more suggestions. :/
    I am having the same problem. I thought it was a FreeTether problem. Every 20 minutes or so, the FreeTether SSID would cease broadcasting and destroy the network connection. FreeTether and the connection work again after restart.

Are the rest of you having problems using the Pre3's HSPA+ data connection on the Pre3 as well?
  13.    #13  
    Yeah, I'm on HSPA+ everywhere I've been with my Pre3. It's so sporadic. It will work up to several days without issue and then lose connection six times in an hour (every time i send/receive an sms message seemingly) and then not do it again for a while. At least I'm not the only person experiencing this issue.
    been having this problem for so long I am used to it. every so often I just make a call like voicemail and that wakes it up.
    I had a similar issue and in my case I figured out that the bluetooth radio was interfering with the wifi. (read somewhere that this was possible) So in my case I turn off the bluetooth when the wifi is on and vice versa and never had the problems again.
  16.    #16  
    I've tried every possibly combination of turning bluetooth and wi-fi both on and off to no avail. I've lost connection eight times today by my count.
  17.    #17  
    Does anyone have any more ideas to try? I'm pretty much at my wits end. :/
    Have you tried doctoring back to 2.2.3 or older ?
    Quote Originally Posted by cbosdell View Post
    Does anyone have any more ideas to try? I'm pretty much at my wits end. :/
    I finally doctored 2.2.4 a while back and left it there and reset my router and it seems a little better ...I wish GUYFROMNAM would maybe put out a patch back to 2.2.0 which was what the phone was delivered with on it ..maybe that would help ...I would like to try if it were avaliable...
  20.    #20  
    I woke up to a (un)pleasant surprise this morning. My phone presented the application database full error for the third time in three months forcing a reset. >.<

I'm going to doctor my Pre3 back to 2.2.3 when I get home since I don't recall having that error or the losing network connection one on 2.2.3 and if that doesn't work I will have to stop using my Pre3 until there is another update to try (probably Open webOS 1.0 this fall?).

I love webOS and the form-factor of the Pre3 but I just can't justify using a phone that bricks itself on a monthly basis and can't maintain even a 2G network connection.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast