Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi there!

As webOS is going to be "open" I started thinking: why not the hardware?

OK, this is a bit to big, but at least should we ask HP the permission to produce very small amount of Pre 3, let say, "only for personal use"?

I mean, on this forum many person are searching new Pre 3 or looking for parts for their damaged ones so probably we can ask HP the permission to produce Pre 3 on our own and only for the people of this forum.

Should we try?
    That would be great. I would love a new/updated phone that isn't a brick. I don't need 98 million inches of screen. A more robust slider would be amazing.
    Avatars.... <hrumpphh> I guess, since all the cool kids are doing it.
    Rnp likes this.
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ILovePalm View Post
    Hi there!

As webOS is going to be "open" I started thinking: why not the hardware?

OK, this is a bit to big, but at least should we ask HP the permission to produce very small amount of Pre 3, let say, "only for personal use"?

I mean, on this forum many person are searching new Pre 3 or looking for parts for their damaged ones so probably we can ask HP the permission to produce Pre 3 on our own and only for the people of this forum.

Should we try?
    Producing the Pre 3 in small quantities would mean that each phone would cost thousands of dollars to make.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Producing the Pre 3 in small quantities would mean that each phone would cost thousands of dollars to make.
    Yes CGK, you are right.

But we should find out the right amount and we don't want to make money on that!

The phone are made for us and paid by us.

Is 500 to expensive for a new Pre 3? Yes/No... We should talk about that.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Personally, I would love to get the design plans for the Location aware Audio/Charger Dock for the Pre 3. It would fit perfectly with my lifestyle.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    Personally, I would love to get the design plans for the Location aware Audio/Charger Dock for the Pre 3. It would fit perfectly with my lifestyle.
    Unfortunately, even if you got the plans there is at least one piece of 'unobtanium' in that dock: the HP-proprietary "a6" microcontroller - a custom 8051 based device that needs to talk to the a6 in the phone (or TouchPad) to set up the connections between the phone & the dock.

edc
    I have been recently wondering precisely WHY this is true?

With regards to the PC marketplace, people have been building their own devices for YEARS! I don't know a single gamer who Hasn't specifically and painstakingly bought their monitor, case, harddrive, motherboard, RAM, DVD Drive, Graphics Card, Bus, and all those other fiddly bits separately, added a glow-in-the-dark water-cooling system and either put them together themselves at home, or had the list sent to a website that put it together for them and mailed it to their home.

Honestly, besides things like the aforementioned a6 chip which are proprietary, (and proprietary just translates to = expensive) why don't people build their own cellphones or tablets and install whatever operating system they want on them? Android and (albeit soon to be released) WebOS are Open-source... this should be a no-brainer! I got a Veer, which doesn't do SMS to my touchpad (unless i go and hack in 2.2.4, which i don't feel like doing atm) .. let people decide whether they WANT the features an a6 chip might provide to their otherwise custom device.

IMHO: a site like this which combines iphone, blackberry, android, webos and windows all into one place would be the PERFECT breeding ground for an idea like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by aegora View Post

With regards to the PC marketplace, people have been building their own devices for YEARS! I don't know a single gamer who Hasn't specifically and painstakingly bought their monitor, case, harddrive, motherboard, RAM, DVD Drive, Graphics Card, Bus, and all those other fiddly bits separately, added a glow-in-the-dark water-cooling system and either put them together themselves at home, or had the list sent to a website that put it together for them and mailed it to their home.

Honestly, besides things like the aforementioned a6 chip which are proprietary, (and proprietary just translates to = expensive) why don't people build their own cellphones or tablets and install whatever operating system they want on them? Android and (albeit soon to be released) WebOS are Open-source... this should be a no-brainer! I got a Veer, which doesn't do SMS to my touchpad (unless i go and hack in 2.2.4, which i don't feel like doing atm) .. let people decide whether they WANT the features an a6 chip might provide to their otherwise custom device.

IMHO: a site like this which combines iphone, blackberry, android, webos and windows all into one place would be the PERFECT breeding ground for an idea like this.
    PCs are configurable because they have room for sockets and slots and such. It's much less common for people to swap hardware in laptops and only devoted hackers mess with phone hardware.

Instead of having a RAM slot, the RAM in small devices is usually soldered to the CPU. The graphics chip and other controllers are probably integrated directly into the CPU chip. It's infeasible or too time consuming for most people to do by hand, especially if you want a form factor that isn't shaped like a brick.
    jessicatapley likes this.
    I feel dumber for reading this thread
    dignitary, UncleVanya and tesla like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by aegora View Post
    With regards to the PC marketplace, people have been building their own devices for YEARS!
    You can thank IBM actually. The IBM PC was a surprisingly (for IBM) open device when it was introduced in 1981. The Technical Reference even included the BIOS source listing, and timing specs and power requirements were published for all of the expansion pins. That openness is what launched the "PC" industry that we now all benefit from.
    (Note: I do not and have not ever worked for IBM, but I do own IBM PC Model 5150 S/N 10248 along with copies of the Tech Ref, AT Tech Ref, DOS 1.0, 1.1 .....)

Honestly, besides things like the aforementioned a6 chip which are proprietary, (and proprietary just translates to = expensive)
    Sadly, in this case proprietary likely means unobtainable. Even if you dug an a6 out of a phone or dock and extracted firmware, the rest of the chip is still HP's and unless they can be persuaded to release the design into the opensource community (hmmm.. I think I'll inquire about that from this end....) it would be a very large design task to replicate the extra circuitry...

edc
    This idea is many standard deviations beyond even the normal level of 'crazy' in my opinion.

For a small batch of Pres to be made would cost exorbitant amounts per unit. There's tooling, sourcing, no end of paperwork.

The self build route is even crazier

To say nothing of the fact that you still get to tooling and associated expense problems of manufacturing all the exculsive to Pre3 parts (case, shell, PCB etc) there's just no reasonable comparison to be made with PCs. PC components are designed to be modular, so that any fool who spends a few hours researching parts can easily 'assemble' (not build) one. Also, has anybody noticed the size of a PC? You just can't make something easy to assemble and small. If have to consider the PC analogy, consider producing, sourcing parts and soldering your Motherboard from scratch.

I personally find myself doing a fair amount of circuit design, and fine soldering for my work, but certainly wouldn't say I could assemble something as small and delicate as a phone. Hack a frankenpre perhaps, but roots up assembly is orders of magnitude beyond that.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    Yes, the Location aware Audio/Charger Dock DOES look a bit more like a shoe rack than the standard touchstone...so I can see why you would like that [note: you have to see ggendel's avatar to appreciate that 'joke'. Actually, you have to also be very empathetic to me as well!]

BTW ggendel, I have the 1st season DVDs of the Get Smart TV show from the 1960's...love it!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

p41m3r likes this.
    it will never happen. Even if you gave HP a million$$$$.

if anything you should be asking At&t to release them not HP. Say $0 on contract.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Assuming you could get the hardware built (impossible without the economies of scale, I know, but assume you can), the last reason why this won't work in our current cell phone environment is that carriers are locked, right? I mean, I would own a Pre 3 today, if I could buy one and run it on Sprint. But Sprint has to allow it, right?

This is a nice dream, but not going to happen.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    UncleVanya likes this.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    No, the fact that it doesn't run on sprint is because there's only a gsm/umts version and not a CDMA version.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    No, the fact that it doesn't run on sprint is because there's only a gsm/umts version and not a CDMA version.
    Even if there was a CDMA version, Sprint still has to let you put it on their service, as I understand it.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    Even if there was a CDMA version, Sprint still has to let you put it on their service, as I understand it.
    Yup has to have approved ESN... This is why GSM is king!!!

(former Sprint user of about 10 years )
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Yup has to have approved ESN... This is why GSM is king!!!

(former Sprint user of about 10 years )
    Yup, GSM is the king. I wonder how that will change with LTE ?
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Had I had billions of dollars to spend on the project, I'd been happy to invest em in WebOS devices. With the hardware HP released (especially the Pre 3) it was finally truly competitive, and with just a minor polish and update of WebOS, I'd have no doubt it could have won in grealy on market share. But it would be really, really expensive to get the ball rolling untill the general public started to acknowledge it.

Oddly, HP did not want to go all the way... Big mistake in my opinion...
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    Then what are the Verzon Pre3's? Of course there are CMDA Pre3's but they are rarer and even then Sprint doesn't allow them on their network since they were never tested for use there and they have a long standing policy of not importing Verizon ESN's just like Verizon will not permit Sprint ESN's on their network.

I can think of no radio based device that transmits on a regulated frequency that is legally made on a custom one off basis by end users... for good reason. No way is this practical. There are many hurdles... ask any handset designer/manufacturer. You have to get FCC approval in the US (and other approvals outside the states) and you need SAR ratings and you need carrier approvals showing that your new device will not melt down their network etc.

Looking in the Ubuntu thread I see that the goal for OpenWebOS is to use an Android Kernel and layer webOS in a way that abstracts it from the kernel so that all devices become potential webOS typhoid Mary's... (LOL - I like that image - "hey why is your RAZR so different from mine?... Let me introduce you to webOS...").

Pre3 hardware is nothing special... it's special only because it is the top of the crop of webOS phones and the only real option for larger screen bigger keys dual core processor etc. If OpenWebOS lives up to the promise - it will run anywhere and open the hardware market wide open. Time will tell...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast