Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 25 of 25
Like Tree10Likes
  1. jdod's Avatar
    Posts
    874 Posts
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    #21  
    Unclevanya << What he said.

    Thanks for the details, its exactly what I thought.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Then what are the Verzon Pre3's? Of course there are CMDA Pre3's but they are rarer and even then Sprint doesn't allow them on their network since they were never tested for use there and they have a long standing policy of not importing Verizon ESN's just like Verizon will not permit Sprint ESN's on their network.

    I can think of no radio based device that transmits on a regulated frequency that is legally made on a custom one off basis by end users... for good reason. No way is this practical. There are many hurdles... ask any handset designer/manufacturer. You have to get FCC approval in the US (and other approvals outside the states) and you need SAR ratings and you need carrier approvals showing that your new device will not melt down their network etc.

    Looking in the Ubuntu thread I see that the goal for OpenWebOS is to use an Android Kernel and layer webOS in a way that abstracts it from the kernel so that all devices become potential webOS typhoid Mary's... (LOL - I like that image - "hey why is your RAZR so different from mine?... Let me introduce you to webOS...").

    Pre3 hardware is nothing special... it's special only because it is the top of the crop of webOS phones and the only real option for larger screen bigger keys dual core processor etc. If OpenWebOS lives up to the promise - it will run anywhere and open the hardware market wide open. Time will tell...
    I thought someone had said (a while back) VZW had said they would accept other clean ESNs?

    As far as the kernel, makes no sense to me... since not all versions of Android even run the same kernel (as I understand it). We will see on that in time though, kernel is supposed to be released in a couple months right?

    I hope someone makes a high quality portrait slider in the future that can run webOS OS.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I thought someone had said (a while back) VZW had said they would accept other clean ESNs?

    As far as the kernel, makes no sense to me... since not all versions of Android even run the same kernel (as I understand it). We will see on that in time though, kernel is supposed to be released in a couple months right?

    I hope someone makes a high quality portrait slider in the future that can run webOS OS.
    A long long time ago (in the world of technology) Verizon promised an open network that would permit any viable phone - but the reality is that you cannot take a sprint phone to their network and vice versa.

    As for the Kernel - if the hooks are built to permit webOS UI components to talk to the kernel then any kernel that provides the right minimum standards would work. My assumption is that OpenWebOS would be BYOAK - Bring Your Own Android Kernel - at least if the post from the other thread is real.
  4. #24  
    agreed on both points, never been on vzw, so not surprised it was old info
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    I can think of no radio based device that transmits on a regulated frequency that is legally made on a custom one off basis by end users... for good reason. No way is this practical. There are many hurdles... ask any handset designer/manufacturer. You have to get FCC approval in the US (and other approvals outside the states) and you need SAR ratings and you need carrier approvals showing that your new device will not melt down their network etc...
    Right! But webOS devices (TP; Pre3 and even TP Go) already got FCC approval and have been carriers tests.

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Looking in the Ubuntu thread I see that the goal for OpenWebOS is to use an Android Kernel and layer webOS in a way that abstracts it from the kernel so that all devices become potential webOS typhoid Mary's... (LOL - I like that image - "hey why is your RAZR so different from mine?... Let me introduce you to webOS...").
    Are you sure about this? According to the OFFICIAL roadmap Open webOS is going to use standard LINUX KERNEL (as today Android is not even part of that standard kernel anymore)

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Pre3 hardware is nothing special... it's special only because it is the top of the crop of webOS phones and the only real option for larger screen bigger keys dual core processor etc. If OpenWebOS lives up to the promise - it will run anywhere and open the hardware market wide open. Time will tell...
    Yes and No. From a technical point of view Pre3 hardware is even outdated compared to Android (No Dual Core btw) but I think some people love first the form factor, the physical keyboard and features like gesture area. Yes there are some Android phones with physical kb but I dont think webOS 1.0 will land on them soon. The first release is supposed to be based on 3.XX wich has no gesture area and keyboard management.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions