Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By anon(679606)
  1.    #1  
    I would love to have it to be able to enter text via voice ...my windows6.1 phone had it (a hacked version) and also had text to voice so I could listen to text messages while driving without doing any killing !!
    renater likes this.
    Doesn't look like it but I think it will happen after its open sourced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    I'm not sure if any full microphone control API's were ever released before now, but it certainly seems like devs will certainly have the access they need after everything is open sourced.
    I would buy an app like that.
  5.    #5  
    had that already on my WImo6.1 phone ...it read my txt messages to me out loud while on the road...good!!
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    You Sure?
    TWack
    On my 4G TouchPad, Pre3 or Panda-Veer.
    If you like our patches, please consider donating to the cause.

|wackware|google+|facebook|twitter|shortcut|mylo|multiapp|flashfile|donate|
    Nope not sure. :-)
  8.    #9  
    thanks for the link which puts it above my pay grade in comprehension except for this:

1. Inasmuch as 1 engine is licensed by "nuance" would that exclude other engines which do that an much more?
    2. Since webOS open source is in process and may be picked up by lots of devices or offered as an option, would it not be good to have voice-to-text for:
    a. business dictation to email/sms while occupied (i.e. driving)
    b. command structure for apps
    c. large number of opportunities for physically challenged in command/control via proximity sensor to interface (generic, adaptable to many targest) like automatic doors, crosswalk sensors, elevator panels, emergency access, etc.

just thinking...
  9.    #10  
    open sourced ...once that happens, does that mean it is fundamentally a different operating system albeit of similar appearance and front end function which makes all the prior apps/patches/etc. require reworking to apply??
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    open sourced ...once that happens, does that mean it is fundamentally a different operating system albeit of similar appearance and front end function which makes all the prior apps/patches/etc. require reworking to apply??
    I have no clue. I'm just throwing out my opinion that could be totally off base. Lol.

I think that there was no official API to use nuance to translate what the person is saying and turn in into text. The API that is out can only Translate and then search the address book for voice dialing.

I think this is one thing that they are going to have to recode before its released as open source so there is no nuance servers/code within webOS. Then again. I'm talking out my *** here but what other reason would there be for no devs to make this app if its possible. There about 30 of them each in Ios and android.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    I have no clue. I'm just throwing out my opinion that could be totally off base. Lol.

I think that there was no official API to use nuance to translate what the person is saying and turn in into text. The API that is out can only Translate and then search the address book for voice dialing.

I think this is one thing that they are going to have to recode before its released as open source so there is no nuance servers/code within webOS. Then again. I'm talking out my *** here but what other reason would there be for no devs to make this app if its possible. There about 30 of them each in Ios and android.
    The recognition engine on the phones is licensed technology from Nuance and only configured for a small set of commands and address book matching. There is no API or license to allow it to be used by other apps. The open sourcing of webOS will not change this.

The licensing for Nuance is not cheap and maybe to the point of prohibitive for further development on webOS devices by third party Dev's. And since there is the "30 or so" already on iOS and Android it may be hard to justify for doing an Enyo port since the competition on other platforms is already well established.

So the business case turns back to webOS devices..... which the future is???
    TWack
    On my 4G TouchPad, Pre3 or Panda-Veer.
    If you like our patches, please consider donating to the cause.

|wackware|google+|facebook|twitter|shortcut|mylo|multiapp|flashfile|donate|