Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    Is the lack of apps.

    I'm not much of a game user but, I wouldn't mind have a few to play. I've been a fan of WebOS since it first came out and now I want to keep going on with WebOS by moving to the Pre3. Is there going to be a change in thee App Catalog once open source happens? I really just want cross platform messaging, Skype and Oovoo as well as social networking (Facebook and Twitter)

    What should I do? Can thee Pre 3 handle this?

    I also wanted to know what provider I could get, prefferably a no contract provider.

    Thanks in advance for thee help!
  2. #2  
    We don't know what's going to happen with the App Catalog once webOS goes open source. It's possible HP could offer it as a "third party" option or HP-official webOS build (like Google), but right now it's all hazy.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  3. #3  
    Skype is built in, the Facebook app works, there's a million webOS twitter apps, I swear. Oovoo is a no go at the moment.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the advice, it's really a big help. What about any cross platform messengers? Are there gonna be any of the popular ones that are available on IOS, Android and Blackberry?

    I know my questions are kind of up in the air but, I figured I'd ask them to help set my expectations and not be disappointed with my purchase.
  5.    #5  
    Oh yikes. Hopefully things turn around in that area. I love thee OS but, I have family and close friends overseas that I NEED to stay in contact with.

    Thanks again, I hope to hear more news about Open Source WebOS in the near future! Especially since I can barely understand what thee Open Source roadmap actually says, I'm not that tech savy lol
  6. #6  
    Does App Tuckerbox help with this or am I not fully understanding of what it does?
  7. #7  
    I sure wish there were a reliable way to convert the apps I have from the app catalog to an ipk file I could keep on my desktop or on the box.net in case I need it back and could install using webosqi or internalzpro or preware...
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by toaste View Post
    Does App Tuckerbox help with this or am I not fully understanding of what it does?
    It's hit and miss, for the most part, yes (if the app you need is available).

    Some apps just don't get a long with the Pre3. For the most part I am very happy with the app selection on the Pre3 and it's ability to run a decent amount of TP apps as well. Too bad the phone was killed before launch (other than the supersoft EU release).


    As far as carriers I have been happy with ATT. You can go month to month w/ ATT and some folks have been able to use various prepaid programs. One that I have heard of is Red Pocket Mobile.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  9.    #9  
    Ok, well I guess I'll be aiming for a Pre 3 within thee next month or so with an MVNO.

    Thanks for the Help! Is there a link to the Pre 3's official app catalog?
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by josephtheebest View Post
    Ok, well I guess I'll be aiming for a Pre 3 within thee next month or so with an MVNO.

    Thanks for the Help! Is there a link to the Pre 3's official app catalog?
    think I would still get a pre3 if I were sure cyanogen would make android for it but as it is there is no such option and that could leave this great device with little interest if the HP app store goes away ...admittedly there are lots of apps/patches from preware but still the money is with the app store and developers are going away in droves viz hp palm teem leeching in the news...
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    think I would still get a pre3 if I were sure cyanogen would make android for it but as it is there is no such option and that could leave this great device with little interest if the HP app store goes away
    Why of why would anyone think to buy a Pre3 to put Android on it? An "unreleased" device with no manufacturer warranty for higher cost than a brand new Android phone of your choosing (contract subsidized of course).

    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    ...admittedly there are lots of apps/patches from preware but still the money is with the app store and developers are going away in droves viz hp palm teem leeching in the news...
    HP Palm team leeching what in the news? I don't see many developers going away in droves (especially with open sourcing of Enyo they can now develop for all platforms and MANY are easily doing that now). I just updated 6 or 7 apps yesterday or the day before, I bought an app yesterday that was brand new to the app catalog and that developer is looking for feature requests, feedback, and bug reports.

    The only thing I have seen in the news is some of the higher up folks in Palm leaving, Ruby wasn't even truly at the helm of Palm when he left and had been planning to leave for a while now.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    An "unreleased" device with no manufacturer warranty for higher cost than a brand new Android phone of your choosing (contract subsidized of course).
    I don't know if things are significantly different in the States but, over here in the UK, my unsibsidised Pre3 was considerably cheaper than a decent Andriod phone.

    Generally I always buy unsubsidised if I can (I made an exception for the Pre- because it wasn't available unsubsised at the time). A subsidised tarrif works out at around 3-400 more that an equivalent (minutes, data etc) phone free tariff which makes all the subsidised phones look very expensive. Frankly I could put the up front cost on a credit card and pay it off over 12-24 months and still be quids in. I fail to see why anyone with basic maths skills would consider this a good deal.

    For reference my Pre3 cost me 199, a Galaxy S2 (then the best Android on the market) would have cost 499. It was a no-brainer for me.
  13. #13  
    Why of why would anyone think to buy a Pre3 to put Android on it? An "unreleased" device with no manufacturer warranty for higher cost than a brand new Android phone of your choosing (contract subsidized of course).

    That makes no sense. The "subsidized" part is key here. And it's *not* subsidized by somebody else - it's subsidized by *your* monthly payments.
    Just get a cheaper contract without the subsidy. The ebay Pre3 prizes are usually about half and sometimes less for what you have to pay for (technically) similar phones.

    I agree though about the why get a Pre3 just to put Android on it. It's really nice hardware. But android phones come on nice hardware too - without having to bother about self-installing and compatibility issues.

    The warranty depends on local laws and HP policy.
    HP did sell it - so standard consumer protection laws do apply (per each country).


    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post

    That makes no sense. The "subsidized" part is key here. And it's *not* subsidized by somebody else - it's subsidized by *your* monthly payments.
    Just get a cheaper contract without the subsidy. The ebay Pre3 prizes are usually about half and sometimes less for what you have to pay for (technically) similar phones.

    I agree though about the why get a Pre3 just to put Android on it. It's really nice hardware. But android phones come on nice hardware too - without having to bother about self-installing and compatibility issues.

    The warranty depends on local laws and HP policy.
    HP did sell it - so standard consumer protection laws do apply (per each country).


    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    In the US, most off contract plans are similar price to contract plans (unless you are going no-data). Some folks will go thru getting on a regional carrier or other prepaid carrier, the results on this vary. You may not get full function (some folks had problems with SMS for example) and you won't get "4G" data speeds (in some cases you won't get 3G data).

    Then add in the factors of hacking another OS on to the device, then trying to get it to fully function on a cheaper monthly plan... yeah if one wants Android I still stand by the subsidized phone (once again in the US).

    The ATT Pre3 is not warrantied due to terms of employee sale. I have yet to see one person successful in getting HP to do any repair for free (but I have seen people get denied warranty service).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    I don't know if things are significantly different in the States but, over here in the UK, my unsibsidised Pre3 was considerably cheaper than a decent Andriod phone.

    Generally I always buy unsubsidised if I can (I made an exception for the Pre- because it wasn't available unsubsised at the time). A subsidised tarrif works out at around 3-400 more that an equivalent (minutes, data etc) phone free tariff which makes all the subsidised phones look very expensive. Frankly I could put the up front cost on a credit card and pay it off over 12-24 months and still be quids in. I fail to see why anyone with basic maths skills would consider this a good deal.

    For reference my Pre3 cost me 199, a Galaxy S2 (then the best Android on the market) would have cost 499. It was a no-brainer for me.
    in the USA if you sign for a 1-2 yr contract, you get a full featured smartphone free or close to free ...they don't make much on hardware; they make money selling "air." In much of the EU (i.e. Benelux), it is illegal to have phone subsidies. Thus the phones cost a bundle. I don't buy them; I bring my quadband GSM/triband UMTS with me and fire in a local sim card and I'm good to go. I have not yet tried my USA Pre3 in Benelux. The lack of 900mHz UMTS may hurt low speed data connectivity but the presence of 2100mHz UMTS will likely work just fine for that.

Posting Permissions