Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Hey, guys,

I've been dealing with a guy online, looking to buy his 16GB AT&T Pre3. He initially wanted around $300 for it, which IMO isn't too bad, but I recently got a few photos of it and I noticed that there's a crack in the top left corner of the display. It's definitely noticeable as you can see in the attached photos, and although it looks as if it doesn't have any impact on the touch sensitivity of the screen, it's still something to consider.

First of all, is there any way to fix it? I've been doing some reading, and it looks as if there are very few people to repair it (not to mention, the prices are astronomical!), and the best bet would be just sell it. Would applying a screen protector help at all?

Secondly, how much would you advise paying? I'd definitely want a pretty hefty discount, as it's a very noticeable crack and I'm pretty OCD when it comes to caring for my electronics. He's willing to give me a discount, but how much would you guys, the Pre3 experts, recommend?

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Not sure about $300 for a screen crack... It is a great phone, I LOVE my ATT Pre 3. But get one in good shape.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Thanks for the reply

He offered to take $100 off of the price, but honestly I still think that it's a little high considering the damage. What do you guys think?
    I just bought a used AT&T Pre 3 on E-Bay, and paid $250. Received it, activated it, and it looks and performs flawlessly. Keep looking, and you can do better.
    The Pre3 (ATT) is a great phone. It got better signal than the Veer.

You shouldn't pay $300 for a phone with cracked screen. You can get a new one from ebay for the same amount. If you can get the one with cracked screen for $150, you use it for spare part.

Good Luck.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    This one is a local sale, so I'd save on shipping. I do think that an could get the price a bit lower though. Would you buy the particular model for around $130? My budget is pretty limited, right now it's either this or a Veer (or a flawless Pre3 at a flawed Pre3 price, which is pretty unlikely).

Would a screen protector help cover up the crack?
    Considering I'm selling a brand-new pre3 for 340 obo, cracked & used for 300 is high.. 200? Depends on the damage implications, but feels high for my blood.. I've got a cracked screen one, I'll be putting a screen protector on it, but I don't think it'll help, except comfort of my fingers:-)
    palm lineage: VzPre+ to Pre2 to Pre3, now using a AT&T Pre3 on wifi and Panda Touchpad.
    DU unlock codes available (Veers, Pres, etc, Oh my!)
    Has Pre3s & tpFauxG for sale!
    (Sales prices always less than ebay)
    I wouldn't buy one cracked at all - there is no fixing it if it gets worse. The AT&T Pre3 is all over eBay, brand spanking new for $300-$350 - I'd go for that.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I agree,

stay away from the cracked Pre3, it'll bug you forever. Get a new Veer, it's a surprisingly charming device, I have both and find that I enjoy using the Veer much more. Don't forget to optimize it though (overclock, disable logging, patches)... I also helped about half a dozen friends get the Veer and they're happy with it.

Then, you can always keep an eye open for a $150 Pre 3 in 6 months or so, or by then you'll be ready to move on to Win8 or the new webOS facebook phone or open source webOS ported onto a Samsung Galaxy S, or whatever happens...
    if nothing else it makes me want to get a screen protector for my vzw pre3 ($550 on ebay)
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I really do like the Veer, it seems like quite a nice device. However, considering that on of my main concerns is browsing, I don't know if it's for me. Also, are all the apps in the catalog compatible?

Of course, either way whether it's a Pre3 or Veer, I'll definitely customize it to my heart's content.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvanKr View Post
    I really do like the Veer, it seems like quite a nice device. However, considering that on of my main concerns is browsing, I don't know if it's for me. Also, are all the apps in the catalog compatible?

Of course, either way whether it's a Pre3 or Veer, I'll definitely customize it to my heart's content.
    I have both, well actually 1 Veer and 2 Pre 3's (SIM slot doesn't work in one so I traded a Pre 3 for a TouchPad on here).

The Pre 3 is a great device, I love mine. Forget about the Veer if you want to do any kind of web browsing, you'll be constantly pinching and zooming to read a page. It's a great little smartphone if you can deal with that kind of web experience. The Pre 3 is definitely more of what you're looking for. You will love it!
    Jimmie Geddes
    IMHO the 16 GB Pre3 is easily worth the $300 - but not with a screen that's already cracked.

Though it depends on how likely you think it is to get it fixed by HP. Warranties should still apply (depending on local laws and HP's policy of course).

But in the end it is simple - you should pay as much as it is worth to *you*.

Personally - given the risks and potential trouble of a cracked screen I wouldn't pay more than 100.

OTOH for a new (unopened in original packaging) one I'd possibly pay more than 300.

I got my (unopened box) Pre3 (8GB) for ca 240 on ebay.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Personally, I would never buy a phone with a crack in the screen, regardless of price. I had the opportunity to buy a new pre 3 for $200 about 2 months ago, but didn't have the cash at that time. Still mad about that...
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    He wants me to come haggle with him in person over the Pre. I'm going to tell him $120, take it or leave it. He doesn't seem to have any other luck finding a buyer.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    It has too much damage to be worth $120.00. It is only good for a spare battery and door. I would buy a new Veer instead. You will be much more satisfied. Also, there is a possibility that there could be other damage internally from the drop and perhaps the slider became a bit loose from it being dropped. And think about this, how many times was that Pre 3 dropped? I would not buy it.
    Last edited by ehosey2; 02/04/2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Additional comments.
    HP Pre 3 16GB AT&T
    HP Touchpad 32GB
    jdod likes this.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EvanKr View Post
    He wants me to come haggle with him in person over the Pre. I'm going to tell him $120, take it or leave it. He doesn't seem to have any other luck finding a buyer.
    I would not do this in person, just me. Agree in advance, or walk away.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Global Posts
    4,378 Global Posts
    I was lucky enough to get my NIB and sealed ATT Pre 3 for $199 on Amazon back in November. I think I lucked out at that price.
    Last edited by JD914; 02/04/2012 at 04:52 PM.
    I really lucked out- got mine NIB Pre 3 for $185 on Ebay back in November too. I love it to death- just wish they would get the games fixed so they would display full screen!
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    I would not do this in person, just me. Agree in advance, or walk away.

I meant offer the $120 via Email. I doubt that he'll take it, I'll probably go for a Veer for now, and save for a Pre or get a device that webOS can be ported too after the open source code is released in September.
    Last edited by EvanKr; 02/05/2012 at 04:24 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast