Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
    the phone is a total loss with a cracked screen. Its only good for parts. 100 bucks tops. He should list it for parts on ebay. and start the bid at .01 cent.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvanKr View Post
    I meant offer the $120 via Email. I doubt that he'll take it, I'll probably go for a Veer for now, and save for a Pre or get a device that webOS can be ported too after the open source code is released in October.
    Saving now sounds like a good plan if your budget is limited, I don't think you'll get a decent Pre3 for under $300 at the moment. Like many others, I wouldn't buy one with a cracked screen full stop.

Perhaps you should consider a Pre2? Bigger and more powerful than the Veer, and they're going for below $200 new in box on eBay (both Verizon and GSM Unlocked).

Also, the full Open Source release is in September
    Last edited by ShiftyAxel; 02/05/2012 at 02:08 PM.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    Saving now sounds like a good plan if your budget is limited, I don't think you'll get a decent Pre3 for under $300 at the moment. Like many others, I wouldn't buy one with a cracked screen full stop.

Perhaps you should consider a Pre2? Bigger and more powerful than the Veer, and they're going for below $200 new in box on eBay (both Verizon and GSM Unlocked).

Also, the full Open Source release is in September
    Thanks for the advice, I've considered a Pre2 before, but have been a bit leery because of shoddy build quality. However, the larger screen would be nice, and I'd like the ability to run almost all apps without problems.

BTW, changed to September. Sorry for the mistake.
    Haha, no worries. Just thought you ought to know

I totally get the build quality thing though, I've been a webOS since the beginning and had an original Pre. Creaky, wobbly, oreo-ey and everything. I actually ended up breaking it by accident whilst trying to tighten up the slider.
    I don't remember many posts complaining about the Pre2 though, and I used to hang around here a fair bit back when it was released. Though I could just be forgetful...

EDIT: I had a bit of a look around and found a couple of threads regarding the Pre2's quality that might be helpful:
    http://forums.webosnation.com/palm-pre-2/271934-how-pre-2-build-quality.html

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-veer/282801-veer-v-pre2-fresh-perspective.html
    Last edited by ShiftyAxel; 02/05/2012 at 05:00 PM.
    it is vastly cheaper than pre3 and pretty much does the same thing ...small screen and no battery access (but if you tune down the push/pull usage it may be immaterial anyhow) ...check the band coverage CAREFULLY as it came out with an ATT model which may NOT be so well adapted to other countries ...it was the first webos machine I owned because it is cheap and I didn't want to drop a bundle on crap ...it is not crap but a real nice thing and feels very good in the hand ...you need some small fingers for the keyboard which is slightly smaller than the pre3 ...it disappears in your pocket without a trace !!
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    Haha, no worries. Just thought you ought to know

I totally get the build quality thing though, I've been a webOS since the beginning and had an original Pre. Creaky, wobbly, oreo-ey and everything. I actually ended up breaking it by accident whilst trying to tighten up the slider.
    I don't remember many posts complaining about the Pre2 though, and I used to hang around here a fair bit back when it was released. Though I could just be forgetful...

EDIT: I had a bit of a look around and found a couple of threads regarding the Pre2's quality that might be helpful:
    How is the Pre 2 build quality?

Veer v. Pre2 - a fresh perspective
    my pre3 is tight and the slider is smooth ...I find the build to be rock solid so far ...I do NOT care for the need to have a credit card to open the back ...they could have done that better for we who are battery changers...
    If the performance on the cracked pre 3 is the same, I'd take it.
    A friend cracked his vz pre 3, and then just ran it thru renters insurance, with great success.
    I'd personally recommend a worth ave group insurance policy otherwise,i haven't used them yet but they're the best sounding I've found.
    palm lineage: VzPre+ to Pre2 to Pre3, now using a AT&T Pre3 on wifi and Panda Touchpad.
    DU unlock codes available (Veers, Pres, etc, Oh my!)
    Has Pre3s & tpFauxG for sale!
    (Sales prices always less than ebay)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12