webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > sms/mms transfer
sms/mms transfer
Like Tree14Likes

Old 01/31/2012, 04:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hello, I was told that for my problem, I should ask here.

So, here's my problem.

I own a pre3 (I live in France, so no ATT or verizon or else) in 2.2.4, and I know that almost everything is saved on the cloud in some hp servers, and that I can eventually retrieve a database file in my phone.
But my problem is a bit different, one of my friend deleted by accident our entire sms history and would like to get them back (she is an iphone user btw).
So basically I would like to export them in a clean way so that she can put them on her phone

So I looked for an app, for a patch but I found nothing.
I tried to get the .db3 file but everytime I try to open it in SQLite Manager I get this error :

"SQLiteManager: Error in opening file objects.db - either the file is encrypted or corrupt
Exception Name: NS_ERROR_FILE_CORRUPTED
Exception Message: Component returned failure code: 0x8052000b (NS_ERROR_FILE_CORRUPTED) [mozIStorageService.openUnsharedDatabase]"

And from there I'm stuck.... Any advice, tips or help, would be greatly appreciated

btw : the .db file I got is called objects.db3 not PalmDatabase.db3 (don't remember the correct name... )

Trickaz
Trickaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2012, 02:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

You could just go into the conversation on your messaging app and select "Copy all" or from the menu (it's in "edit" sub menu... don't know the real name, in german it's "Bearbeiten" ). Then you can paste into a new e-mail or so and have all the whole conversation as plain text.

With the transition form webOs 1.4.5 to 2.x most of the database stuff changed dramatically... if you want to take a look inside the database, you can also try impostah. But that will not be really helpfull for your export problem, I think... I don't know if there is an app for that... one could write an app, should not be to hard to do.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2012, 10:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Are you asking for a way to take your SMS from Pre3 and load it into an iphone? Not gonna happen if that is what you are asking.

I believe save restore will back up the database to a text file, but that's really your only option.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2012, 12:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
You could just go into the conversation on your messaging app and select "Copy all" or from the menu (it's in "edit" sub menu... don't know the real name, in german it's "Bearbeiten" ). Then you can paste into a new e-mail or so and have all the whole conversation as plain text.

With the transition form webOs 1.4.5 to 2.x most of the database stuff changed dramatically... if you want to take a look inside the database, you can also try impostah. But that will not be really helpfull for your export problem, I think... I don't know if there is an app for that... one could write an app, should not be to hard to do.
I tried that one, but that deletes all the other informations such as the date and the name of the sender of the sms so I only have a big wall'o text :s

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
Are you asking for a way to take your SMS from Pre3 and load it into an iphone? Not gonna happen if that is what you are asking.

I believe save restore will back up the database to a text file, but that's really your only option.
well not directly, but that would be the end of the process.
The thing is that I saw an app for the iphone where the sms were exported in a .txt file with all the informations (date and name).
But ultimately what I'd really like to get is a proper timeline... it doesn't really matter if I can implement it back on the iphone or not.
Old 02/01/2012, 01:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Then I go back to recommending giving Save/Restore a shot.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Old 02/01/2012, 05:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ok, I'm not sure about what you exactly mean bysave/restore... could you explain a bit ?
Do you mean saving with the hp server then reseting the phone ? or with webosdoctor ?
Old 02/01/2012, 06:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Sorry don't have time to find the link for you... in the homebrew forums here there is an app called Save/Restore. Should be found with a quick search.
Old 02/01/2012, 07:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks, seems great for what I need.
I might have to look into it a bit more thouhg, since as of now I fail to understand how and where are the sms saved

Last edited by Trickaz; 02/01/2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02/02/2012, 06:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

It creates a folder on your usb-partition. I think it's called saverestore. In that there are many folders named after the apps the data came from and in each of these folders is a zip file which contains the data.

So if you saved the messaging data, there should be a folder com.palm.messaging or similar with a zip and some data in it.
Old 02/02/2012, 12:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

I saw that yeah, the thing is that the homebrew only saved my apps, nothing about the com.palm.messaging. I may have missed something but I can't find what.
Old 02/02/2012, 12:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

it's palm.com.app.messaging if you have told save restore to save your messages.

stores as a zip file.
Old 02/02/2012, 12:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

When you run the Save/Restore app, go to "Save App Data" , hit "Select None" to deselect everything, then scroll down about until you see "Messaging" and turn the slider to "on". Hit "save selected" to start.

The resultant zip file of SMS logs will be stored on the USB partition in (usb drive)\saverestore\com.palm.app.messaging\

If you use Internalz, the full path is /media/internal/saverestore/com.palm.app.messaging/
kigmatzomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2012, 01:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kigmatzomat View Post
When you run the Save/Restore app, go to "Save App Data" , hit "Select None" to deselect everything, then scroll down about until you see "Messaging" and turn the slider to "on". Hit "save selected" to start.

The resultant zip file of SMS logs will be stored on the USB partition in (usb drive)\saverestore\com.palm.app.messaging\

If you use Internalz, the full path is /media/internal/saverestore/com.palm.app.messaging/
i've decided to give this a shot but when i open "save application data," messaging isn't available. i've looked in "supported applications" and it's not there as well. i've made sure that save/restore is up-to-date and i've checked the preferences to see if i can enable it. i can't seem to find it. is there an extra step that i need to do?
eyebee127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2012, 02:01 PM   #14 (permalink)

was messaging removed for 2.x?
Old 02/02/2012, 02:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

yes, that appears to be the case.
eyebee127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2012, 03:47 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
was messaging removed for 2.x?
That's what I was fearing, I don't have the messaging app
Old 02/06/2012, 05:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

jup, support for backup messages from the messaging app seems to be gone.

You can try to connect with novaterm to your device (or putty, if you have a ssh server installed, I would prefer that) and try to get the contents from the messaging db with luna-send... you'll get JSON formated information about the messages.

If you want to try that, I can try to give you the correct command line.
Old 06/03/2012, 03:13 AM   #18 (permalink)

Hi Garfonso!

Would be great if you post the correct command line!

Since month I am fight to those text messages out of the phone ... success = zero :-(
bijama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/2012, 04:36 AM   #19 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Code:
luna-send -n 1 -a com.palm.app.messaging palm://com.palm.db/find '{"query":{"from":"com.palm.message:1"}}' > /media/internal/allmessages.txt
That will create the file "allmessages.txt" on the usb partition with the JSON of all the messages that your device hast gotten... includes SMS and IM.

This will get only sms messages:

Code:
luna-send -n 1 -a com.palm.app.messaging palm://com.palm.db/find '{"query":{"from":"com.palm.smsmessage:1"}}' > /media/internal/smsmessages.txt
Just tried it on my device, works for me..
You then get a file with (unformatted) JSON. So you best get some tool that can format the JSON stuff... for that I'm using eclipse with the javascript extension. But that might be overkill (I have eclipse anyway for my coding purposes ). Maybe there is something else?
At least that will contain ALL the data.. so you should be able to search for a name/phone number or similar.. hope that helps.
Liked by bijama1 likes this.
Old 06/03/2012, 02:01 PM   #20 (permalink)

Great! It worked for me!! Thank you

Experiences:
Tried novaterm (Window 7 64bit), got easy connection but was not able to type curly braces
Putty: Did not get it running within a hour

* Used "WebOS quick install" -> Tools -> Linux command prompt, worked immediately! Copy/Pasted your code
* connected as USB device ... got the file.

* Finally ... used Firefox "JSONView" Add On

One more question:

Any idea, how the Timestamp has to be decoded?
bijama1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0