Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    I managed to write an app for that. You still need some command line work, but only one command... it can be found here:
    http://www.webosnation.com/export-messages

it should be available via preware, soon. I hope that helps you.
    Trovatore, Badcard and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    I managed to write an app for that. You still need some command line work, but only one command... it can be found here:
    Export Messages | webOS Nation

it should be available via preware, soon. I hope that helps you.
    Does this work on all versions of webOS, from 1.x to 3.x?
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    It should work for webOs 2.x and webOs 3.x.

It will not work for webOs 1.x because messages were saved differently in 1.x. I think in webOs 1.x the Save/restore app can save the messages in a text file. This is not possible anymore in webOS 2.x and 3.x, because the messages are now saved in a database.

I tested this app on my Pre3 with webOS 2.2.4. But it should also work with other 2.x systems and with touchpads. The message databases are the same on all 2.x and 3.x devices I've seen.

I'll try to submit a patch that modifies the permissions for the message db and the smsmessage db, so no command line stuff is necessary anymore.
    Trovatore likes this.
    This is nice, but my Pre2 on 2.2.4 is showing a timestamp of things like Thu Jan 15 1970 19:55:29 GMT-0500 (EST) through Fri Jan 16 1970 09:55:36 GMT-0500 (EST) ... any idea why that is?
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Oh, that's an oversight on my side... I submitted a fixed version.
    Trovatore likes this.
    Oh, that's an oversight on my side... I submitted a fixed version.
    works great!!! one last question. It looks like there are cases in my export where the SMS had a hard return in it, which results with the text message being split to multiple rows. This is obviously a minor issue and one that I am more than happy to live with, but wanted to point it out if you had any thoughts on how you might be able to fix it. if not, this is still awesome!

Adam

Like any of my work:
    Ok, they should get filtered, now in version 1.0.2.
    New lines ans tabs would break excel import, so it is better to filter them. They now get replaced with ordinary spaces... I think that is ok.

another option would be to replace them with html tags... in my test messages I saw that google talk messages contain html tags anyways and there the new lines are preserved as <br>. Hm...

Oh, and invitations in google talk are a bit awkward, they don't contain a timestamp and therefore read as "invalid date"... but I think that's left for the end user to filter.
    Trovatore likes this.
    New lines ans tabs would break excel import, so it is better to filter them. They now get replaced with ordinary spaces... I think that is ok.

another option would be to replace them with html tags... in my test messages I saw that google talk messages contain html tags anyways and there the new lines are preserved as <br>. Hm...

Oh, and invitations in google talk are a bit awkward, they don't contain a timestamp and therefore read as "invalid date"... but I think that's left for the end user to filter.
    great. will check it out as soon as it hits the feeds!

Like any of my work:

just checked it out..you are awesome!

Like any of my work:
    Well, got one more oddity for you... for some reason, the data I exported with the tool contains A LOT more data than is currently shown in the messaging app. It appears that although I may have deleted text messaging conversations on my phone or touchpad, these messages arent deleted from the database that you pull the info from because there is a lot more history than is shown. Have you seen that too?

Adam

Like any of my work:
    Generally webOS keeps everything that get's deleted from the databases around a little and just marks it as deleted until some time the database gets purged.

On a usual query the deleted elements should be excluded. I uploaded a version 1.0.3 which explicitely set's "incDel" to false for the query. Also I just checked again and deleted messages don't show up in the export for me, at least not that I could find some...

You could have a look with impostah in databases, select persistent and then message:1. If you find some messages you think have been deleted there, can you compare them with other messages that you have in your messaging app and see if there are other fields set? Maybe there is something different in your webOS version... which version are you using?
    Trovatore likes this.
    I have been waiting for this for quite some time! Thank you, however I got this:
    Database Failure: Error= palm://com.palm.db/find{"query":{"from":"com.palm.message:1","limit":100,"incDel"false},"count":true}:dbermission denied
    Ok.
    Cancelling futures:

Since I am not really that tech savvy, I don't know how to get past what ever issue this is...can you help?
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by cquer View Post
    I have been waiting for this for quite some time! Thank you, however I got this:
    Database Failure: Error= palm://com.palm.db/find{"query":{"from":"com.palm.message:1","limit":100,"incDel"false},"count":true}:dbermission denied
    Ok.
    Cancelling futures:

Since I am not really that tech savvy, I don't know how to get past what ever issue this is...can you help?
    Thanks!
    I am actually getting the same message ... i have an AT&T HP Veer with webos 2.1.2 on it. here are two screeshots:

Quote Originally Posted by Trovatore View Post
    I am actually getting the same message ... i have an AT&T HP Veer with webos 2.1.2 on it. here are two screeshots:

Click to view quoted image

Click to view quoted image
    Did you install the patch or run the code to give the app permissions to access the database? Not sure what I am talking about, check out my tip at Export your text and instant messages [webOS 2.0+] | webOS Nation

Like any of my work:
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Same error here, and I did install the patch (or so preware tells me)...

edit: Do! A luna restart won't do, it needs a full restart to work
    Last edited by Badcard; 10/13/2012 at 10:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Badcard View Post
    Same error here, and I did install the patch (or so preware tells me)...
    I have a veer packed away that I can pull out and give this a try... but probably not until tomorrow.. will report back!

Like any of my work:
    Thank you! did a full restart and bingo!
    Hm... I did only try the patch with a full device restart... need to figure out if there is a way in the patch portal to tell Preware to do a full device reboot, then... Some patches do that, right? Sorry for the inconvenience, updated the app description.

BTW: do you guys think it would make sense to have the export happen automatically every week or so?
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Could it be do so you can resubmit the messages to a newly flashed phone, (restore messages as per say)?

Thanks
    That is close to impossible and I certainly won't try... if you want the messages on a new webos phone, activate the Palm backup and use the same profile... can't recreate all the conservation stuff and so on without mangling deep inside the databases and services. This is more if you want to clean up your profile (or abandon webos ) and keep a backup of your messages somewhere just for reference.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast