1.    #1  
    Surfing preware applications i found Debian 6.0.2 chroot, i'm no expert, i wonder if there is a way to install minimal debian on pre 3 unlocked webos 2.2.4 ? Thanks
    Last edited by the gold bug; 02/02/2012 at 08:46 AM.
    Webos-Internals always provide wikis for the tools they create. In this case: DebianChroot - WebOS Internals

Basically you need an ext3fs partition on your phone and have xecutah and xterm installed before you install the Debian chroot.

Read up on Tailor as well (Application:Tailor - WebOS Internals).

I would also add that although you say you're not an expert, this is pretty advanced stuff and partitioning can really mess up your phone if you don't know what you're doing. Make sure you read up on these things, don't just jump right in and figure you'll tinker with it later.
    Last edited by PickleFart9; 01/31/2012 at 05:09 AM.
    To add to the above... doctoring does not fix partitioning. Something to keep in mind if you do go forward and ever decide to remove.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the warnings, metadoctor procedure is too complicate, perhaps if I had a guide in Italian i could try, but currently i think giving up this project.
    Only two doubts , proceeding to partition manually with Tailor, can i skip the whole process of metadoctor? Then can i delete this partition with same app and restore phone to previous state?
    ps. sorry for my bad english
    Quote Originally Posted by the gold bug View Post
    Thanks for the warnings, metadoctor procedure is too complicate, perhaps if I had a guide in Italian i could try, but currently i think giving up this project.
    Only two doubts , proceeding to partition manually with Tailor, can i skip the whole process of metadoctor? Then can i delete this partition with same app and restore phone to previous state?
    ps. sorry for my bad english
    Yes and yes.

Someone should update the wiki page with instructions for using Tailor to create the chroot.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  6.    #6  
    Thanks guys, i'm stubborn so i tried it..... i followed this steps:
    1)Installed Tailor, resize media partizion and create new ext3, but when i click mount partition i had "can't find /media/ext3fs in /etc/fstab" so..
    2)i followed point n.3 of this link to mount ext3 partition How To Install Ubuntu Linux on HP TouchPad | Step by Step Guide
    3) followed step 3 of this link UbuntuChroot - WebOS Internals , but i had no ubuntu terminal , i think because i had already installet ubuntu chroot before create ext3 partition?
    4) i tried with debian....and i had prompt terminal!!!
    5) installed chromium with apt-get, and now i wanna try install lxde....but i dont know how start programs
    6)I will keep you updated, in the meantime if u have any suggestions are welcome )

edit: startlxde and voil graphic interfrace , btw it isn't very helpful on the phone, maybe on the touchpad is another thing
    Last edited by the gold bug; 02/01/2012 at 10:40 AM.
  7.    #7  
    How big did you make the ext3 partition ?
    How much free space is left, after installing the window manager - core libraries - core programs ?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    How big did you make the ext3 partition ?
    How much free space is left, after installing the window manager - core libraries - core programs ?
    I created a 2,8 GB ext3 partition, gnome download was 1,4 GB , but i have no idea how much free space after unpacking and installation. I already delete ext3 partition.... trouble with keyboard layout in gnome
    what kind of trouble, if I may ask ?