Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By carguy303
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Hi All!

Just wondering with the latest announcements plus 2.2.4 dropping in, is it still worth trading up to a Pre3 from a Pre2? Or just hold out until Open WebOS makes traction with a more modern phone?

Cheers

Rod!
    Last edited by lavo96; 01/31/2012 at 02:44 AM. Reason: grammatical error
    Well i have both (Pre3 as 8GB EU-GSM) and for me the formfactor of Pre2 fits better, but that is a very personal thing.

What's weighing more for me is that the Pre3 is more often laggy and restarts more often even with Uberkernel, System Optimization patches... which comes from less memory available for the system (Too Many Cards. Pre 3!).

There are several threads about the goods of Pre3 hardware (Slider,Screen,Camera) and now that also replacement batteries are avail (Mugen) a long life of the Pre3 can be considered.

The Pre3 app issue (less releases, not in full screen) of the beginning is somewhat better now. But there are potentially less paid apps/games for Pre3. Just look for your most used paid apps and see on if they are released for Pre3: https://developer.palm.com/appredirect/?packageid=<get package id in impostah>
    If not get in contact with developer.

For free apps there is AppTuckerbox now that can install Pre/Pre2 or even TouchPad-only apps on Pre3 and threads about sizing app up to full screen.

So for me in everyday use the smallformfactor and faster overall feeling lets me stick with me Pre2, even a better camera would be welcome in some situations.
    The keyboard alone is worth the switch from Pre2 to Pre3.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Thank you for the input!.. I'll think I will stick with the Pre2. Just not enough reasons to upgrade, and with the update to 2.2.4 there isn't that much I'm missing out on.
    Upgrade. I love my Pre3.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    I'd put it this way:
    Going from Pre to Pre Plus was a very minor upgrade.
    Going from Pre Plus to Pre 2 was a quite significant upgrade.
    Going from Pre 2 to Pre 3 made everything better!
    250-300 dollars for the upgrade is a little bit too much in my opinion. I used a pre 3 and it wasn't big enough of an upgrade for me. The veer however is 100 brand new and can be upgraded to 2.2.4 and has a better formfactor in my opinion
    dignitary likes this.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    man, I want the HPre3! I've had all the webOS devices and think the third kind will be the cream of the crop! I'd even get rid of my TP to get a ATT HPre3! (damnit)
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    It is a personal decision at this point, but I'd say if you can afford one go for it! The Pre 3 is a better product. The form factor is larger than the Pre2 of course, but it's nowhere near one of those Android behemoths! I think it fits nicely in the hand. Also, the screen resolution is so much better than any other Pre/Pixi/Veer. True, it's not quite "retina", but it's very close!
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    I much prefer my pre3. I also like the h+ speeds I get with it on AT&T.
    Sprint Treo 650 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> Sprint Centro --> Sprint Pre- --> AT&T Veer/ Pre 2/ Pre 3, Touchpad
    I have an at&t Pre 3 on the at&t network running 2.2.4 with patches and the stock kernel and for me my Pre 3 is fast and responsive with no freeze ups and zero lag, plus with 2.2.4, the battery life has been excellent. Best smartphone I've ever owned by far. I moved up from a Sprint Pre and am loving the bigger screen and there is no comparison between the smallish keyboard of my original Pre and the bigger keyboard of my Pre 3, it is that much better IMO. I've never owned a Pre 2 but I wasn't thrilled with it being the same size as my Sprint Pre so I passed on it and now that I have my Pre 3, I'm glad I did.
    Personally I prefer the Pre3. My Pre 2 was just getting to be too much of a frustration to use. Even with the occasional Doctoring it was enragingly slow at times and inexplicably froze - and this is with the make-it-better patches installed.

Switched to the Pre3 and it's been uber-smooth sailing since, especially with the patches installed.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    +3 ;-)
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jc-Treo View Post
    I much prefer my pre3. I also like the h+ speeds I get with it on AT&T.
    Man, I didn't even mention 4G in my post (how could I not remember THAT!)... YES! It's a worthwhile phone because of that TOO!
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)