Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    While a lot of people are cheering for the newcoming webOS 1.0, I start to feel uncomfortable with my beloved Pre3....
    I have an unpleasant feeling that HP will no longer support the Pre3, once webOS 1.0 is anchored. If that's the case indeed I really would feel miserable and cheated by HP.
    Maybe I'm too negative about this, but I sense that thie developments will mean the last year for a working Pre3, after that it's all finished with the one time flag ship..
    Who has better feelings about this and can cheer me up?
    I don't know about you, but personally considering Pre 3 was never officially released I had zero expectation for ongoing support when I got mine. That being said I think that the first version of open webos 1.0 for pre 3 might not have much advantage to what we currently have, but I think in the long term it will give devs more control to improve our Pre3s. I'm pretty satisfied with the current state of my Pre 3. I just wish we had more apps.
    If Open webOS 1.0 is a unifying release (and I get the feeling it will be, standard linux kernel means less device-specific) then the same version will run on all devices.

If this is the case, I imagine it'll either cherry-pick the best features from 2.x and 3.x into one cover-all version, or be the same base with per-form factor customizations, such as the pop-up notifications from 2.x on phones, and the topbar notifications from 3.x on tablets. Either way, same version means same features, so the phone versions will probably get an official onscreen keyboard and have the same WebKit version as the tablet release.

At least, this is what my realistic hopes are. Either way, Open webOS 1.0 WILL come to Pre3. It's open source, in the worst-case scenario that HP doesn't provide support, the homebrew community will.
    Last edited by ShiftyAxel; 01/27/2012 at 06:09 PM.
    I'm not too worried about it and it doesn't get released until next Sept anyways
    I would -really- prefer having the notifications on the top bar on phones, so that it doesn't have to adjust my display size all the damn time.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I would -really- prefer having the notifications on the top bar on phones, so that it doesn't have to adjust my display size all the damn time.
    Would you still have room for time, date, bluetooth WiFi, etc.
    I'm hoping we would get at least a full enyo 2.0 support, of course with acceptable performance. Personally I'd like to see... oh, maybe a lower cpu load and a up-to-date webkit core.
    If there were a second line on the top reserved for the notification icons sure. And if the popped up notification list came up -over- the main display instead of moving it out of the way, that'd also be good. I guess if that were the case, it wouldn't really matter if it were on the bottom or the top.

As is, I typically have enough notifications on my phone, that I can't see them all, so when I do open the notification list, I can't see my app on screen either. . . so, it's silly to have that weird feature. The notification thing should open up on top of everything, not around it.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    If there were a second line on the top reserved for the notification icons sure. And if the popped up notification list came up -over- the main display instead of moving it out of the way, that'd also be good. I guess if that were the case, it wouldn't really matter if it were on the bottom or the top.

As is, I typically have enough notifications on my phone, that I can't see them all, so when I do open the notification list, I can't see my app on screen either. . . so, it's silly to have that weird feature. The notification thing should open up on top of everything, not around it.
    But wouldn't the second line steal screen real estate? I heard topolsky saying he prefers at top because down there is where you swipe and stuff.

Never bothered me, I kinda like it. The issue I have is when app don't handle that properly. For example music remix distorts when notifications are expanded instead of having the main controls and scroll the rest like say the messaging app, spotify. I asked if this was intentional and the answer was yes.

Since you have so many notifications, seems like what you want is a single notification that can fit in the top bar that says you have notifications and you expand them at your leisure
    Last edited by laingman; 01/27/2012 at 09:34 PM.
    ... and to have them not resize the application under them. These devices aren't fast enough to dynamically resize these apps in a performant fashion. nor do i want my app squeezed into a 10-pixel tall window.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by apeka53 View Post
    While a lot of people are cheering for the newcoming webOS 1.0, I start to feel uncomfortable with my beloved Pre3....
    I have an unpleasant feeling that HP will no longer support the Pre3, once webOS 1.0 is anchored.
    You're not being realistic. For starters, your unpleasant feeling is months delayed and should have happened w/ Leo's announcement. If it didnt happen back then, when the device was canceled and pulled, then it shouldn't happen now when its set in stone. Furthermore, by the time Open webOS is released, HP would no longer be bound to perform under the terms of your 1-year warranty (if you have one).

If that's the case indeed I really would feel miserable and cheated by HP.
    Why? Because they failed to perform according to contract? Or because you had high expectations?

...I sense that thie developments will mean the last year for a working Pre3, after that it's all finished with the one time flag ship...
    I fail to see why the Pre3 or any other phone will not work after support for it has ended. If it works now, then it'll work for the next few years. And while no phone is meant to be a 'flagship' forever, Pre3 owners will have that bragging right for the foreseeable future.

Again, be real. No one promised us anything.
    There is only a bright side to this: the open nature of the new OS will guarantee that the community will make it work as they want it to. Who knows, maybe a few more 'Internals' will pop up and vastly expand the community in ways not yet imagined. And if nothing pans out, all webOS devices will still work.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Just throw away the notifications and your problem is solved. Unless you are like me and leave the notifications at the bottom all the time, instead of actually looking at them.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by apeka53 View Post
    I have an unpleasant feeling that HP will no longer support the Pre3, once webOS 1.0 is anchored. If that's the case indeed I really would feel miserable and cheated by HP.
    Maybe I'm too negative about this, but I sense that thie developments will mean the last year for a working Pre3, after that it's all finished with the one time flag ship..
    Who has better feelings about this and can cheer me up?
    Open webOS 1.0 is in effect webOS 4, so you should not be worried. Right now, those with older devices have had to hack webOS 2.1 onto our devices because HP has not OFFICIALLY released any updates for them in ages(due to carriers). 2.2.4 is in the works for Pre/Pre Plus users, but in general, we have already been abandoned.

With the Open webOS 1.0 release, it will actually benefit those with a Pre 3 since it unifies the user base around one version of the OS, so you have more people using the same OS version. As it stands now, there are a TINY number of Pre 3 devices out there due to Leo the Destroyer.
    I do hope open webos doesn't kill off the gesture area, personally I think future phones should require a gesture area (new phones that are built specifically for open webos)
    Nothing that can't be coded in (well one would think it could be that easy ) .....similar to the TouchPad and it's lack of gesture area.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I think you might cheer up by looking through all the threads and posts on here from nay-sayers who were convinced that every little ripple was clear evidence of webOS's demise ("2.2.3? Oh they probably already had that in the pipeline and they're just dumping it out there... There WON'T be ANY more updates!").
    As for me, I think that when Open webOS 1.0 comes out, we'll all update our beloved Pre 3s -- and they'll be EVEN BETTER phones!
    I think you are seeing the whole thing only from one perspective (I'm speaking about the phone being supported or not by HP).

You are all forgetting that the phone was officially released and officially sold in France , Germany and UK. I don't know the numbers, but surely I would expect more than just some thousand of units...

Under the european regulations, the warranty is 2 years long... so I do expect official updates to the OS to keep going on for that long, potentially. And that covers the opensourced webos... it'll have to be officially supported by hp.
    The fact that the AT&T and Verizon rebranded models are not officially supported, doesn't mean that they cannot gain from any officially supported update released for the EU models.

All Pre3 are identical, aside the 3G modem part... (and ok, the internal storage, but that's trivial). Personally I wish only that all would have been 16gb models, since I really don't see the point in just 8gb, and I'm still hoping that sooner or later spare parts will hit the market (from china)
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    The EU warrenty would be for the hardware, they are in no way compelled by it to update the software.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    Unless HP releases an update that breaks the current OS or introduces some bugs then I don't really care what happens regarding open WebOS compatibility. It functions great now for me and if over the +/- 2 year life cycle of my Pre 3 I have to "live with" this version I will be very happy as it already does everything I want very well. IMO the OS is a year or two ahead of iOS and blackberry already so I don't feel that it "needs" some functionality anyway.

It never fails that anytime I sit with someone and show them this phone they are blown away by what it can do and most have never even heard of it let alone have a strong negative opinion like some would have you believe.

Sure I would like little improvements if they came along but I'm not complaining. I have faith in the community too!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    I don't understand where all that worrying about unsupported devices and removal of gesture areas is coming from.

The beauty of open source is that any features that HP neglects or drops we can put back in.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast