Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    My Pre 3 is a 4g ATT one so didn't come with a headset (why...?). I went to a local store and tried a 4 pin version with mic, music came out OK but voice from the Mic didn't come through. When I unplugged it the built in Mic didn't come back and nothing came out of speakers. I had to restart the device to get audio back. A normal headset-only (no Mic) with a 3 pin plug worked fine.

so my questions...
    1) does the Pre 3 use a non-standard pinout / what config headset do I need?
    2) has anyone else had this and how did they fix?

thanks!
    Greg
    same problem over and over discussed here the forums. it's a regular 4-pin outlet, but sadly the contacts are getting dusty and unresponsive for detecting plug-In/plug-out very fast.
    so try to clean your contacts with a q-tip first. If nothing help search for threads like "ghastly headset", "clean headset" ...
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    This problem has been around since the Treo days. Funny that other manufacturers don't seem to suffer the same. I only got it if I plugged/unplugged too fast. If I did it slow, no problems.

Ben
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by benh View Post
    This problem has been around since the Treo days. Funny that other manufacturers don't seem to suffer the same. I only got it if I plugged/unplugged too fast. If I did it slow, no problems.

Ben
    thanks guys, had a Treo 750 for 2 years and never hit that, can't believe a 2 month old Pre3 that lives in a case would go mute through the minute amount of dust it must have accumulated. Still I'll take your word for it and try to find out what a 'q-tip' is to clean the thing!
    I've also read that a very small amount of graphite in there occasionally can help. Just a leetle bit.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    and there are little plugs out there to cover the headphone jack when not in use...