webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > External charger for Pre3 battery
External charger for Pre3 battery

Old 01/22/2012, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

I'm searching for an external charger for my spare Pre3 battery to charge them outside my phone.
I was recommended the universal charger from CellularTech, but don't know if this would the best choice. The CellularTech charger has adjustable + and - contacts, so it should match the Pre3 batteries contacts. Actually I don't know which one of the 5 contacts on the battery is the + and -? Who does know this?
Any other alternatives and experiences with Pre3 battery chargers yet?
Thanks.
apeka53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2012, 04:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hi Everyone- there is one universal charger that works- I tested it on the Mugen battery I got and it works perfectly! Here is the link:
Universal Battery Charger | Universal LCD Battery Charger | Buy @ AccessoryGeeks

The Mugen battery is marked with the "+" and "-" posts- they are the outermost ones on either side. If you put your battery in and line up the posts with the connectors the charger LCD screen glows blue to confirm successful charging. It's not perfect, and don't plug in the charger upside-down- the battery comes loose, but at least it will charge my spare batteries!!!!
tbonanno16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2012, 06:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the Palmpilot universal charger from CellularTech has a USB option whereas the AccessoryGeeks Universal LCD Battery Charger does not. Am I seeing correctly? Not necessarily a deal-breaker, but I'd want to have as much info as possible before buying.

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini
..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
carldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2012, 06:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

@tbonanno16: That's good news! I'm surprised, because from what I've learned, you can't charge a Pre3 battery with an external charger, because the battery has a built-in chip/circuit, that controls the charging procedure (that's why it has 5 contacts)..
Anyway, if your charger seems to work with the Mugen (SL or XL or both?) batteries indeed, I now wonder if you can also charge the original HP Pre3 battery with it. Did you test that?
I'm also curious what is so different with this charger and other external chargers, e.g. the one from CellularTech for this type of batteries..
You're sure, your Mugen battery was really completely charged and didn't show wrong info on the LCD screen? Does the LCD goes off after the charging is completed?

I ordered the charger from CellularTech earlier, but it didn't work, because of the issues mentioned above. When telling them that, they responded very nice and reimbursed me the money..

Too bad AccessoryGeeks doesn't ship to Europe..:-( I would have to find a solution for that...

Last edited by apeka53; 02/05/2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old 02/05/2012, 04:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Intellicharger Universal Battery Charger | eBay

I have used this charger for many camera and phone batteries. I have NOT tried it on the mugen or oem pre3 battery yet ...it has MANY features incl a separate usb port to charge a 2nd device, a good LED system for charge state, a good insertion module, works fine on 220v, charges other types of batteries, autodetects polarity, revives (worked on a dead LiIon battery I have for another device), fit/finish is very nice...

I have the one that does it all, they make other models for LiIon+AA/AAA or LiIon only for less money ...I saw that here...

http://www.logicbattery.com/l_charger.htm

full function one cheaper on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Full-Intelli-U...bosnation0e-20

and the more I look the cheaper it gets:

http://www.filmtools.com/luminair-fu...i-charger.html

I wonder about use of a cheap charger for expensive hard to find batteries...

so, finally, I will hook it up and try it out on both mugen & oem and report...

Last edited by patapoof; 02/05/2012 at 04:57 PM. Reason: morrrr
patapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2012, 11:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hmm. I need something like this with 5 ports on it.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2012, 05:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

@tbonanno16 and/or patapoof: Any more answers/experiences with charging an original HP Pre3 or Mugen Pre3 battery using the battery charger from AccessoryGeeks or Intellicharger? See my posting #4
Thnx

Last edited by apeka53; 02/13/2012 at 06:16 AM.
Old 06/17/2012, 05:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

Did anyone test any of the chargers listed above? I've just ordered a Mugen 1400mAh and would really like to charge both batteries at the same time.
billyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2012, 10:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

To my knowledge external chargers won't work with Pre3 batteries. Because these batteries contain a special buit-in chip that controls the charging process (that's why the 5 contacts), they can't be charged in external chargers who only have two + and - contacts...
Sad but true...
Old 06/18/2012, 02:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

The additional contacts are important (for e.g. battery temp before and during charging) and I'd think twice about these.
p41m3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2012, 08:08 AM   #11 (permalink)

So it sounds like my only option is another Pre 3. Good job I love this bloody phone! Ha!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Old 06/18/2012, 01:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
So it sounds like my only option is another Pre 3. Good job I love this bloody phone! Ha!
The phone is hardly to blame here; HP and 3rd party manufacturers didnt see it fit to make chargers for spares. I wouldnt be surprised if the hardware team had at least one in development when the lights went out.

Maybe someone can code an app (or update Dr Battery) to alarm/notify when the current battery is charged so that the drained spare can be swapped in. If done at night (I did that w/ my dumb phones) you should be set for the following day.
p41m3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2012, 03:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeka53 View Post
To my knowledge external chargers won't work with Pre3 batteries. Because these batteries contain a special buit-in chip that controls the charging process (that's why the 5 contacts), they can't be charged in external chargers who only have two + and - contacts...
Sad but true...
I don't think so. They just doubled the + and - ( to get more current through). A std. phone battery these days has at least 3 contacts. One for +, one for - and one for the one wire interface to the battery chip.

EDIT: You should use a charger that communicates with the battery chip. Meaning at least 3 contacts.
Old 06/18/2012, 04:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somline View Post
I don't think so. They just doubled the + and - ( to get more current through). A std. phone battery these days has at least 3 contacts. One for +, one for - and one for the one wire interface to the battery chip.

EDIT: You should use a charger that communicates with the battery chip. Meaning at least 3 contacts.
Do you know of any such chargers?
Old 06/18/2012, 06:56 PM   #15 (permalink)

I can confirm that the last charger listed in patapoofs post #5 (Luminair brand) does NOT work. I work in the area and went by their store (Filmtools in Burbank, CA)today and they were nice enough to let me try their test unit. The sales guy was very familiar with the unit and told me has has about a 99% success rate but no luck with the HP OEM battery. I am wondering if the Mugen battery works differently because tbonanno16 got a a different charger to work on that one, or of course if that charger would work on the HP battery.

Dsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2012, 11:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
Do you know of any such chargers?
Unfortunately no. Never searched for. I'm using 3 TouchStones.
Old 02/14/2013, 12:41 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somline View Post

And what is each pole in the 5-pin battery?

Samsung Galaxy S4 + Jailbreak / HP TouchPad 4G + CM10 / iPod Touch 5 + Jailbreak 6.1.3
sshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2013, 09:50 PM   #18 (permalink)

I just got another Pre3. I had to have a spare battery and charger.

Vent Mounted Touchstone for Pre3 DIY!
vasekvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2013, 10:39 PM   #19 (permalink)

Buy the Digipower TC-U100 Universal Lithium Charger at TigerDirect.ca

This one works, I tried it in person back in Hong Kong, but didn't buy because that shop was too expensive... Think can be found on eBay for $10. I just use my spare parts Pre 3 for charging batteries these days.

Mind you some of the universal chargers don't work because the pins are too thick. I bought one on DX and it didn't work.

Pry my keyboard from my stone dead hands. I dare you. Death to all slates.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: sshaka
Old 06/08/2013, 05:01 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
Buy the Digipower TC-U100 Universal Lithium Charger at TigerDirect.ca

This one works, I tried it in person back in Hong Kong, but didn't buy because that shop was too expensive... Think can be found on eBay for $10. I just use my spare parts Pre 3 for charging batteries these days.

Mind you some of the universal chargers don't work because the pins are too thick. I bought one on DX and it didn't work.
Just to save other readers from losing money.

I can confirm that Digipower TC-U100 Universal Lithium Charger definitely does NOT LOAD the original Pre3 battery. I bought one from amazon.com together with a EU mains adaptor. It just doesn't load the original Pre3 battery. Neiter with the original AC adaptor, nor with a universal micro USB adaptor. Neither in trickle mode, nor by regular charging.

It may load other LiIon batteries, but not the original Pre3 one. Don't buy it with this intent.

Most probable reason: See above. Missing battery data interface.
ZehHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: bradmeister1

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0