webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Pre 3 stopped playing audio
Pre 3 stopped playing audio

Old 01/18/2012, 06:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Yesterday, my Pre 3 (webOS 2.2.4, some homebrew patches) suddenly stopped playing audio. MP3 files do not play (in neither of the standard Music player, nor Music Player Remix, nor Kobo). Ringtones do not play back. Sound notifications such as for SMS or alarms do not play their sounds but just a standard "ding" if I get lucky. I have been missing calls for that reason.

This is not a hardware issue with the sound output. I still get the "swoosh" sound when I toss a card away (close the app). I installed The Ghastly Headset and I do not have the "stuck in headset mode" problem. But even if I use a headset, or an A2DP Bluetooth headset, I do not get sound from MP3 playback.

Streaming apps like TuneIn Radio or DrPodder do not play back.

I have tried moving from stock kernel to uberkernel and back. Did not change a thing. I tried restarting the phone. Did not fix it. I am running out of ideas. I don't think I changed any patches or other significant settings between the day where audio was still working and the day where it did not.

I am hesitant to doctor since I got lots of apps and configuration and data set up on the phone. It is my primary phone and I do not want to go through setting everything up again, reinstalling apps, restoring data etc. etc.

Other than that, I am really lost. Any ideas why this is happening and how to possibly fix it are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Max

P.S. similar sounding problem described in MP3 Audio No Longer Working (Sprint Pre) for an original Pre, but also there no fix is listed.
m-h-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2012, 07:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Most likely you need to wipe your USB partition, this fixed the same exact issue for me. MP3s were not playing, doctored first then wiped USB partition.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2012, 06:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
Most likely you need to wipe your USB partition, this fixed the same exact issue for me. MP3s were not playing, doctored first then wiped USB partition.
Thanks for the hint! I copied everything off the USB drive, then wiped it through the Device Info app, then put most of the stuff back. At least this keeps my apps and app settings!

After that, sounds worked again for a few hours, but now after a reboot they stopped working again. What the #$%$%!

This way my Pre 3 is all of a sudden no reliable phone anymore. I did not get woken up this morning by the alarm clock, I miss some calls and SMS just because there are no sounds. Plus I cannot listen to my MP3s but that is the least of my problems now.

Max
Old 01/19/2012, 06:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

My problem hasn't returned (hopefully it stays that way), but I doctored and wiped.

I will say the day the issue started for me, I had played MP3s (Dr Podder) that very morning via bluetooth on my way to work... went to lunch and got nothing (thought it was corrupt file, tried more files/streaming, then thought maybe Dr. Podder was messed up, erased and reinstalled, then I just went for broke and reset everything).
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Old 01/19/2012, 06:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would really like to find the root cause of the problem to get rid of it once and for all.
Old 01/19/2012, 08:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

I had the same problem on my pre2 and had tried everything I can think of , doctoring, USB erasing, full erasing, secure erasing, nothing work. I just don't know what to do and this half functioning pre2 is just laying around collecting dust. :'(
idiotboxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2012, 06:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for all your comments. I wiped the USB one more time (still did not re-doctor!) and only put photos, wallpapers, ringtones, appdata (Navit maps) and my regular music folder back. For now, I get ringtones and alarms, but for some reason the music player does not show my music. Something really is fishy, it seems like it cannot index the music files or something like that.

How is the music index generated? For some reason, now that the music player is not showing the music again, also when I try to select a ringtone, the list is empty.

Which pieces of software and which files have to do with the media index?
Old 01/20/2012, 08:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

I spent another while searching the forums, and I think I found the root cause and solution.

See this thread and solution post about a known bug with the media indexer.

I followed the steps (delete /var/luna/data/filenotify.db3 then reboot), and after taking a camera picture (or possibly just waiting a while?) the media index is then rebuilt. (It is harmless to delete the file as it will be rebuilt automatically.)

All my music, pictures, and ringtones came back and the phone seems to be functioning correctly again. No need to move stuff off the USB partition, nor doctoring, nor wiping.

Now I am keeping my fingers crossed that this will stick

Max
Old 01/20/2012, 11:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

If I would have seen this sooner (we are on opposite sides of the earth), I could have saved you some time... MetaView has made a patch to fix the media indexer, you can see it right now on the front page of webOS Nation.

http://www.webosnation.com/media-indexer-refresh
Old 01/23/2012, 01:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

Well, reindexing by removing filenotify.db3 and rebooting, then using the camera, did not last. I tried one more time to wipe USB, reboot, then put files back and again it made it work for an hour or two, but then audio and camera stopped working AGAIN.

This seems to be a long-standing problem with webOS. See this thread about camera not working and media files not able to play

So I guess doctor will be next. This sucks.
Old 01/23/2012, 01:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Did you try the fix in my post above? This is a brand new fix as of about a week ago. The first of it's kind for the media indexing issue.
Old 01/23/2012, 01:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

Actually, I tried all of it now. First, I doctored (without USB wipe). Did not fix it, but I had to go through all the save/restore, reinstall Preware etc. etc. madness.

Next, another couple of hours re-tinkering with USB deletions and re-addings and restarts and deleting filenotify.db3 and so on. Sometimes, ringtones would start playing again and camera start working, but then stop again after a bit or after another reboot.

Finally, I now got it to a state where at least it is playing ringtones, showing my photos and playing the current music. But it is not recognizing new music (added via USB) unless I run the Media Indexer Refresh app on the newly added directory.

The thing is, you really have to enter each directory and tell it to refresh, so it is kind of tedious. Let's see how long the fun lasts.

I am actually really disappointed how sick this media indexer issue is, and how little one can do to resolve it apart from trying a bunch of different approaches which may work or work half-way or may work for a little while only. This is a broken piece of software.

I really long for opensourced webOS, at least then we can try to fix it ourselves.

Last edited by m-h-k; 01/23/2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01/24/2012, 06:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

what I don't understand is, why the problem doesn't get solve even with doctoring, USB erasing, full erase or even secure full erase.
Old 01/24/2012, 06:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotboxxer View Post
what I don't understand is, why the problem doesn't get solve even with doctoring, USB erasing, full erase or even secure full erase.
Which problem? The USB erase fixes the audio problem.
Old 01/24/2012, 06:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
Which problem? The USB erase fixes the audio problem.
Well, I don't fully understand it either. While the USB erase fixed it initially, when I put back ringtones and some music, the problem came back. That's why eventually I started doctoring too (which definitely does not solve it, or at least not alone).

There must be some awkward conditions under which the Media Indexer stops indexing, or corrupts its database and any music playback application cannot play anymore, or something like that.

I haven't quite figured out what you have to do after the USB erase to put everything back on the USB and still keep the audio functioning. Somehow after all my interventions it just started working again. BUT: whenever I now enter USB mode and add some music, when I exit from USB mode the photo app and the music player will then only show a spinner. I have to reboot the Pre 3 after that, then the new files will not show up. Then I have to use the Media Indexer Rescan app to add the new files.

So either way, something is broken. But at least my phone is ringing and I get woken up by the alarm clock again.
Old 01/24/2012, 06:57 PM   #16 (permalink)

Yeah I think you have an additional media indexing issue. Because my loss of sound wasn't media indexing (streaming audio wouldn't play either), and other system sounds were functional.

I think you may be fighting multiple gremlins.
Old 01/24/2012, 08:26 PM   #17 (permalink)

This phone is plagued with audio issues, my latest is that randomly when skipping songs, the song is playing but no audio is being heard, and I have to take out the headphones and plug them in and then pick a new song before i get any audio
kel101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2012, 03:07 PM   #18 (permalink)

Although mine is a Pre2, I believe these problems are related with the same causes.

At first the problem appear one day when I was playing audio podcast using Dr Podder. It was on WebOS 2.1, since then I have tried many different methods, including doctoring the phone to v2.2.4, 2.0.1 and now running on 2.0.0. Erase USB Drive, Full Erase and Secure Erase. I have even tried created a new profile after the doctor.
It doesn't play any mp3 files, including all the ringtones. And I have check those files on a desktop and they have no problem whatsoever.

The problems I currently have:
  • Ringtone is not playing. Even when a call come in, my ringtone isn't playing. Instead it plays the system Ding Dong sound(Touchstone charging sound). The same when an alarm goes on, it only plays the Ding Dong sound.
  • In Sounds & Ringtones, if I go into Ringtone to try change it, tapping on the play icon to try to preview it. It get stuck at the start with no sound.
  • In Sounds & Ringtones, dragging the Ringtone Volume slider makes "no sound", however, dragging the Volume slider under the System Sounds will make a 'shutter' sound. (See attached)
  • Camera not working(See attached)
  • Youtube video app not playing (See attached)
  • Build-in Videos app not working. (Running Youtube app because I am on 2.0.0, see attached)
  • Media Indexer Refresh app diesn't work. It keeps loading forever.
Old 01/26/2012, 06:21 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotboxxer View Post
Although mine is a Pre2, I believe these problems are related with the same causes.
idiotboxxer, your problem description is very much what I had on my Pre 3. Except I never tried dragging the ringtone volume slider, and in addition the Media player app would just show a spinner.

I am not exactly sure what I finally did to resolve it, but I had done each of these things at least once, and often several times:

- rebooted the phone
- delete /var/luna/data/filenotify.db3 and rebooting the phone
- wiped the USB partition (always using a regular wipe)
- put files back on the USB partition directory by directory, exiting from USB mode each time
- took a photo using the Camera app
- doctored using the 2.2.4 original doctor
- uninstalled Muffle System Logging patch

Eventually I got the phone to a point where it would at least play ringtones, show photos, have a working camera and not hang (spinner) in the Music player. It just would not show new music or photos added in USB mode.

I then installed the Music Indexer Refresh app and use it if I ever add more media files in USB mode.

It is weird.
Old 10/05/2012, 06:04 AM   #20 (permalink)

Well, I've got this issue, unfortunately I'm not willing to doctor, tried filenotify, indexer fixes but nothing. I believe this has something to do with other issue I've recently had - file system problem. Is it possible to detect the problem? Obviously this is fixed by replacing files then it might be possible to check which file is corrupted and fix just this one.

I'm open for suggestions as doctoring is not an option currently.
brymcho is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0