webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Pre 3 stopped playing audio
Pre 3 stopped playing audio

Old 10/05/2012, 08:26 AM   #21 (permalink)

did you recently use any earphones? If so plug them back in and turn on some music . Then turn of the music and then unplug. Now reboot the phone and try again , . Also you can open the device info app, then tap on preferences on top left, then tests and quick tests to have the phone test your hardware to see if its all working . I'm not positive but I believe it will test the sound as well . You can also try out the interactive tests as well.

if you think its something to do with the media indexer then maybe try this ...... http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ml#post3041512
P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
shadavis08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2012, 07:07 AM   #22 (permalink)

I've recreated all folders with audio files on media/ (including ringtones) and it is ok now. The reason is still unclear but at least I didn't have to doctoring and wiping all.

Thanks for the help.
brymcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2012, 08:46 AM   #23 (permalink)

Hi!

I had the same problem as all of you had. It started a few weeks ago.
I tried to delete the filenotify.db3, but it did nothing.

And today morning after an update prompt (actually if I remember right it was FreeHeroes2), it couldn't finish it because it rebooted (the usual one when the screen fades away, and after a few seconds the HP logo appears).
I only noticed it after a few hours that my audio came back. Everything is working: Music (Remix), Ringtones, Ringtones preview in Sound settings. And it seems that my previous problem (a second - default - system sound is played after some notifications) is solved too, but I'm not sure yet.

So I'm happy but confused and puzzled too.

Tylla.
tylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/19/2014, 11:16 PM   #24 (permalink)

Got lately into this issue today (Pre2 2.2.4), possibly after a forced battery pull. :-(

What I found is the mediaserver (/usr/sbin/mediaserver) is not running.

It is launched by /etc/event.d/mediaserver, which basically runs "/usr/bin/mediaserver --gst-debug=1"

Try to manually run mediaserver with "/usr/bin/mediaserver --gst-debug=1", you should get a message saying "Could not initialize GStreamer: Invalid byte sequence in conversion input". THIS IS THE CULPRIT.

Two ways to perform a quick test:
  • run "/usr/bin/mediaserver --gst-debug=1 -d" (debug mode), should be OK and you're back on track
  • run "/usr/bin/mediaserver", you should be OK as well

Had no time to investigate further, simply fixed "/etc/event.d/mediaserver" for now, removing the dreaded "--gst-debug=1" option and relaunching the service ("start mediaserver").

I suspect a malformed option after reading the usage ("/usr/bin/mediaserver --help")...

Anyone to reproduce that (quick) fix to confirm?

Last edited by Thibaud; 03/29/2014 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Fixed binary directory, it is indeed "/usr/bin"!
Thibaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/27/2014, 09:48 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thibaud View Post
Got lately into this issue today (Pre2 2.2.4), possibly after a forced battery pull. :-(

It is launched by /etc/event.d/mediaserver, which basically runs "/usr/sbin/mediaserver --gst-debug=1"

Try to manually run mediaserver with "/usr/sbin/mediaserver --gst-debug=1", you should get a message saying "Could not initialize GStreamer: Invalid byte sequence in conversion input". THIS IS THE CULPRIT.

• run "/usr/sbin/mediaserver --gst-debug=1 -d" (debug mode), should be OK and you're back on track
  • run "/usr/sbin/mediaserver", you should be OK as well

Had no time to investigate further, simply fixed "/etc/event.d/mediaserver" for now, removing the dreaded "--gst-debug=1" option and relaunching the service ("start mediaserver").

I suspect a malformed option after reading the usage ("/usr/sbin/mediaserver --help")...

Yes, me to, same problems here, since one year of using pre 3 without Problems, its getting more and more worse.

I could now get mediaserver to run following your advice but with one difference. On my Pre3 the mediaserver sits in /usr/bin not /usr/sbin !!!!!!! Got the right path from opening /etc/event.d/mediaserver.

Starting mediaserver by hand an i could again take pictures an play MP3s.

What has happend, that sometime the Mediathing is getting worse. To much files ? Corruption of files somewhere related to medias ? Bad files corrupting filesystem and things ?

I will change now the line in /etc/event.d an try to start mediaserver. Ok that works ! Also camera is working again.
I will now reboot an will see, if this last over a reboot............wait.......wait.......wait.........ok music is playing........camera is working......but music stopped playing as i openend camera......i changed to music player......music was paused.....could get it to play by tapping.....changed back to camera......music stops......is this normal ?

That means, i could not hear music while taking photos.... is this a security preset ? ;-)

So confirmed your quix fix for now. Will come back, when sth changes. Many thanks for your investigation !!!!

Achim

from Gieen in Germany

Last edited by achimi; 03/27/2014 at 10:25 AM.
achimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/27/2014, 10:12 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by achimi View Post
ok music is playing........camera is working......but music stopped playing as i openend camera......i changed to music player......music was paused.....could get it to play by tapping.....changed back to camera......music stops......is this normal ?

That means, i could not hear music while taking photos.... is this a security preset ? ;-)
This is normal behavior. Stinky, but normal. I think it has to do with the plugin architecture used to access the media and camera systems.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/29/2014, 07:00 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by achimi View Post
On my Pre3 the mediaserver sits in /usr/bin not /usr/sbin !!!!!!! Got the right path from opening /etc/event.d/mediaserver.
Yes, mediaserver is indeed located in /usr/bin. I fixed my post, thank you.
Old 08/28/2014, 10:17 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thibaud View Post

It is launched by /etc/event.d/mediaserver, which basically runs "/usr/bin/mediaserver --gst-debug=1"

Try to manually run mediaserver with "/usr/bin/mediaserver --gst-debug=1", you should get a message saying "Could not initialize GStreamer: Invalid byte sequence in conversion input". THIS IS THE CULPRIT.

• run "/usr/bin/mediaserver --gst-debug=1 -d" (debug mode), should be OK and you're back on track
  • run "/usr/bin/mediaserver", you should be OK as well

I suspect a malformed option after reading the usage ("/usr/bin/mediaserver --help")...

I am having this same problem today, the quick test works, then it goes back to not working. How did you "fix it for now"?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0