Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have a very bad issue with my AT&T pre3 - it goes offline without an indication, and stays offline until I flip it to Airplane mode and back, or until a handover has happened.

I suspect that radio settings for AT&T are (or have become) incompatibel with Telstra network.
    I want to try and flash it into EU (ROW) firmware 2.2.4.

I have got the doctor and I impersonated it to ROW using a preset in Impostah, but the doctor still says that it's not compatible.

What valuse does the doctor check?
    How can I flash it to ROW firmware?

The impersonation link on th wiki says "it's not needed anymore" but fails to say what exactly is needed now. Pre 3 Impersonation - WebOS Internals
    Puzzled.
    why not try to meta doctor it!
    I was like you, like a bus in the tunnel, the "its not needed anymore" means due to availability of webos doctors for any or all versions of the Pre 3, there is no need to impersonation any more, because you had to impersonate due to lack of availability of webo sdoctors in the past for e.g AT&T phones, the explanation at the wiki is badly written or unsufficient.
    Impersonation is only be needed if you like to change your os/firmware from a originaly AT&T to a non branded or european model.
  4.    #4  
    The way I understand it, impersonation in Impostah is only needed for Palm account creation and local device token generation if you are in an unsupported country. You can have any firmware and carrier but you will be able to complete the first crucial step of associating your phone to an unsupported country's App store.

Second thing I understood that impersonation cannot help with flashing, because impersonation works on OS API level (OS is loaded and patch is installed and configured to respond "differently") but when you're doctoring it, the phone reloads into a special recovery mode where your Device Profile Overloads do not have any effect.

That's why we need to change it at the other end - edit the doctor. (meta-doctor) so that it does not object anymore to the gritty truth it sees... smackead's right

For me the issue is I don't want Ubuntu and have no place for it.
    No place also for a virtual machine, to put ubuntu on ?
  6.    #6  
    Well I tried the Meta-Doctor and it does compile the custom JAR, and I do have REMOVE_CARRIER_CHECK=1 but when flashing it still checks and says:

INFO: token returned from get_token() is : ATT
    INFO: WARNING - the device carrier token is :: att, should have need empty
    INFO: Handling TOKEN Mismatch error
    WARNING: Flashing failed, move to Token failed card

... and essentially aborts.

I have edited Makefile to remove # from REMOVE_CARRIER_CHECK=1
    and I also edited DEVICE=pre3 and CARRIER=wr in the Makefile so I am just running "make all" to compile, and it succeeds compiling - but not flashing.

I think with WR 2.2.4 over ATT 2.2.4 the meta-doctor is missing something.
    Or is it just me?
    There is wiki page which shows how to do this.

Remove_carrier_check is never the correct solution.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  8.    #8  
    There may be a page, but i can't find it.
    I found a post on rwhitby.net, some posts on precentral and a wiki page Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals, which i followed.
    If it's not REMOVE_CARRIER_CHECK - then what? i see no other candidates.

Can someone please share the link?
    A Google search for "Pre 3 impersonation" finds as the first hit:

Pre 3 Impersonation - WebOS Internals

Do that, then your device will have the required new tokens flashed. Then use the doctor for that new device for 2.2.4 or OTA update.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
  10.    #10  
    Thank Rod
    will running ./scripts/meta-att-pre3-impersonate-wr-2.2.4 replace the modem ROM with the global GSM? I think my problems mostly relate to the way GSM module is configured for AT&T.
  11.    #11  
    Ran the script, got the same Token mismatch error but automatically, without GUI and clicking...
    Quote Originally Posted by cubeover View Post
    Ran the script, got the same Token mismatch error but automatically, without GUI and clicking...
    If you got a token mismatch, then you ran the wrong script.

Post your DMMODEL and DMCARRIER token values, and the full log of running the meta-doctor from scratch and flashing the firmware.

-- Rod
  13.    #13  
    Well, I have got AT&T pre3 which was hooked into Australian catalog.
    It has got AT&T 2.2.4 but works fine with my Australian profile.
    I am running "meta-att-pre3-impersonate-wr-2.2.4" - what else can I run?
    There's only this and reverse "meta-wr-pre3-impersonate-att-2.2.4".
    Quote Originally Posted by cubeover View Post
    Well, I have got AT&T pre3 which was hooked into Australian catalog.
    It has got AT&T 2.2.4 but works fine with my Australian profile.
    I am running "meta-att-pre3-impersonate-wr-2.2.4" - what else can I run?
    There's only this and reverse "meta-wr-pre3-impersonate-att-2.2.4".
    See the post above for instructions.

I trust only the output log from programs pasted into a post. I never trust what people tell me about a problem, as they usually make assumptions or report incorrectly processed information rather than the raw facts.

-- Rod
    Dumb question here, but what is the difference/advantage of changing AT&T to ROW? The actual radio firmware and carrierdb.json remains basically the same, no? (minus the AT&T-specific stuff)

FWIW, I'm using a Pre3 on Docomo, and had to modify the carrierdb.json to have Docomo-specific carrier details. Maybe same needed for Telstra?
  16.    #16  
    Please read my first post in the thread. A phone should not go offline while showing full bars in network. It also drains battery faster when that happens.

I believe some crucial parameters like frequency band search sequence are set wrong for Telstra metro areas. Maybe Telstra's new LTE "helps" here...
    I just want it to have vanilla unlocked generic modem firmware, just like any other BYO phone that Telstra must support.
    Having AT&T Navigator installed that I cannot activate is also a teaser which I want to remove... I like Amazon MP3 though. Yellow pages is no problem.

My DMCARRIER= ATT, DMMODEL=HSTNH-F30CN
    I attached logs, as I said - it expects CARRIER="empty" but gets "ATT".

Good night!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Make sure your Makefile is unmodified.

The cold hard facts of the log show that you still have REMOVE_CARRIER_CHECK set, which is causing your issue.

-- Rod
  18.    #18  
    "Aye, Captain, aye!"
    Yes - commenting out # REMOVE_CARRIER_CHECK did the trick and it's updating now.

I will report in few days on how it works with Telstra NextG in Melbourne CBD.
    My AT&T Pre3 is on Telstra, running 2.2.4. I have no drop outs.

So, I wonder if the fact it is AT&T is really the problem?

Siobhan
    Siobhán

Palm III, Treo 600/650/680/750, Pre, Pre3, AT&T Pre3, tp 4G, tp 64GB.

I am an HP Employee. I am not associated in anyway with the development of webOS or associated devices. Opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent HP or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP or Palm.
  20.    #20  
    @Siobhan - you're in Sydney, thus network there can have a different radio plan.
    But certainly we can't blame AT&T for optimizing their handsets.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast