Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    It's kinda got me beat - though I hate to admit it!
    I thought 'Ghastly' App was holding good, but mic has again since stopped.
    Lunar reset only worked very temporarily, full reset made no difference.
    Running: Device Info-->Preferences-->Tests-->Quick Tests has
    however, brought a working mic back into the picture again!

This would indicate a software glitch..

What could be going on here?

Have set 'splMeter' to 'Nightstand', so I can keep an eye on it anyway.

?
    dunno, maybe ??
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    dunno, maybe ??
    maybe one of these ??
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    maybe one of these ??
    Already have the excellent 'Touchvol' installed.. thanks anyhow.

'splMeter' running in 'Nightstand' stopped altogether a few hours later.. and SO had the mic.

Running 'Quick Tests' however, again restored mic functionality.

I'm gonna try uninstalling 'splMeter' for a while next anyway..

Process of elimination?

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Already have the excellent 'Touchvol' installed.. thanks anyhow.

'splMeter' running in 'Nightstand' stopped altogether a few hours later.. and SO had the mic.

Running 'Quick Tests' however, again restored mic functionality.

I'm gonna try uninstalling 'splMeter' for a while next anyway..

Process of elimination?

Yes.. uninstalling SPL Meter, running 'Interactive Tests - Audio' under 'Device Info--> Preferences' (then reinstalling SPL Meter - optional) and resetting 'TouchVol' have combined to restore my microphone fully, thus far anyhow!

I am anyway now even more convinced that, in my case at least, this is a 'software' issue as opposed to a direct 'hardware' issue.

Will report back after a suitable test-time has elapsed.

Last edited by Mutoidi; 03/23/2015 at 07:07 PM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Yes.. uninstalling SPL Meter, running 'Interactive Tests - Audio' under 'Device Info--> Preferences' (then reinstalling SPL Meter - optional) and resetting 'TouchVol' have combined to restore my microphone fully, thus far anyhow!

I am anyway now even more convinced that, in my case at least, this is a 'software' issue as opposed to a direct 'hardware' issue.

Will report back after a suitable test-time has elapsed.

After not as long as I had hoped (4 days), 'SPLMeter' indicated microphone had stopped working again.
    It had!
    I have uninstalled SPLMeter and run 'Tests' again. This has restored Microphone functionality.
    Will not reinstall SPL Meter and will continue to test microphone on 'Voice Recorder' App for the time being.
    ~ Also running 'JSTop' & 'TouchVol' still.

Last edited by Mutoidi; 03/28/2015 at 06:13 AM.

What is SPL Meter ?

And isn't maybe this the cause of all the issues? (I think that the mic issue arises very rarely on "stock" phones)
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    What is SPL Meter ?

And isn't maybe this the cause of all the issues? (I think that the mic issue arises very rarely on "stock" phones)
    This is 'SPLMeter': SPL Meter | webOS Nation
    (Still!) Downloadable from HP App Cat.

Possibly.. maybe.. perhaps.. etc
    This is what I am at present trying to ascertain.. it can really only be a slow process of 'elimination' as the fault initially appears both random & intermittent!

Please see also: Pre 3 internal and external mic not working

Last edited by Mutoidi; 03/28/2015 at 08:39 AM.

But but but... I think all having the issue had Touchvol installed prior to it ?
    So, so, so, this is another reason that I can not at present agree that SPLMeter is, for example, '..maybe.. the cause of all the issues..'!

TouchVol is quite a 'deep' (and yet excellent) App.
    I am sure I have found reference to 'Mic' in this app somewhere, when playing with it once or twice in the past.. but for reasons of experimental 'control' now, I don't want to also mess around with it at the moment.

Do you have either App installed on your German Pre3?

Last edited by Mutoidi; 03/28/2015 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Grammar..

Nop, I don't have either of those.
    I've limited the patches to the essential, sort of, too... result is no need to doctor since 2011, with an uptime of 24x7x365 and only an handful of reboots. Will see if uberkernel changed the picture ( added it 2 or 3 months ago, only )
    Microphone is still holding good with SPLMeter now uninstalled.

~ That's 'sensible'..
    Only had to Doctor the Pre3 once so far.. when it got 'wiped' for trying to share the same profile as the Veer! Ooops!

Uber seems very stable so far.

Small update:

After SPLMeter uninstalled for a few days, microphone stopped working - again!
    Luna Reset = No improvement.
    Full Reset = No Improvement.
    Run Interactive Tests = No improvement.
    Run Quick Tests = Microphone working again!

Hmmm.. Does anyone know if 'Tests' (drop down menu in 'Device Info) actually 'restores' any software?

it's likely that the tests in general may reset values and levels
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    it's likely that the tests in general may reset values and levels
    Thank you..
    Yes, perhaps this likely resetting indicates that my microphone issue is a software one?

imo IS usually a sw issue. My personal bet is that the chip handling the microphone has some registers or such that can be programmed "badly" if using some functions.. or more simply some registers keep getting incremented without a reset, when using some function.

Aka, still my bet, an OS function used by some apps (function likely normally available), was not tested so well by hp... maybe due to them not thinking it would have been used so much. (and anyway the problem takes a lot of weeks to show up initially, then apparently takes a lot less once it happens the first time)

If, note the if, it's a situation like this, maybe an easy solution would be to check the testing app and if the calls are not masked, do a small update to touchvol and etc to include a call to that function upon closing the app.
    Mutoidi likes this.
    I've recently noticed a problem. No one can hear me when I call. I can hear them. The worst scenario is of course leaving voice messages - no feedback to know if anything is recorded. Rebooting solved it, but then it came back and I had to reboot again.

At first I thought it might be a random network glitch, then perhaps the old dirty headphone socket problem, but now I suspect it is software due to the reboot fix.

I have funny idea what the cause might be and I'll check (and read the whole of this thread).
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/26/2015 at 07:55 AM.
    OK, I've read the thread.

Possible causes suggested here:
    H/W
    • Heat causes mic circuit to fail
    • Slider causes wear and damage to a mic connection
    • The old tricky headphone socket

S/W
    • The Touchvol app
    • The SPL meter app
    • Some random/unidentified patch or app
    • Uberkernel - default setting
    • Some interaction between 2.2.4 and specifically Pre3 H/W

My situation is noted above. It has only started happening recently and is always solved by reboot so far.
    Details:
    • This phone has never been doctored by me. I'm pretty sure it was BNIB when purchased. I can't remember if there was an OS update or if it came with the 2.2.4 it is running.
    • It has been dropped a few times, short distances to carpet I think - no noticable damage beyond the normal wear.
    • I have the usual patches but no major customisation.
    • I do not have Touchvol or SPL meter installed
    • I did install Uberkernel - probably in the last few months
    • I have recently downloaded a lot of apps. I rearranged my launcher cards to organise this, but I think I previously added one new card where new apps appear.
    • Right now, the phone is set to 2G only - I doubt this is the cause.
    • UK / Euro unlocked

My untested theories:
    • Hardware failure. I think it's S/W. If it's H/W, I'm out of luck.
    • Uberkernel - could be, but the symptom took a while to show up.
    • Patches - what patches would affect the microphone system? Unlikely.
    • Leftfield theory: The Definitive Guide to Backing up and Restoring your webOS Device | webOS Nation
      If you are running webOS 2.0 or higher, you need to ensure that the Voice Dial app is the last app on your first launcher page. The Launcher script in Save/Restore may not save any items on the first launcher page after the Voice Dial app due to an oddity of webOS 2.0
      This may only relate to save/restore, but this app has moved 'relatively' by the creation and shuffling of the launcher cards. Probably irrelevant, but it is an audio app...

I just ran quick tests and got a modem error 20...? On a digital phone, I guess a modem is required for calling. Maybe it's my network setting. No problems with wifi.

In conclusion, I think I will move the voice dial app and run save/restore, then remove uberkernel. I will try Mutoidi's tests method to fix as it should be quicker than a reboot. Then there's posting patch lists and trying to eliminate them...

My feeling is that this is S/W. If a reboot is fixing it, that suggests that something is either progressively putting the mic in some kind of error state (e.g lowering the standard mic volume/sensitivity) or a random error is cutting the volume.

The problem is of course, testing with various configurations over time.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/26/2015 at 10:25 AM.
    Mutoidi likes this.
    @ Preemptive.

Thanks so much for your exhaustive analysis on this infuriating Pre3 mic 'glitch' so far..
    'Welcome' to the club! ;(

I guess 'Voice Recorder' App. would access Mic too.. I have since uninstalled it, along with 'TouchVol' & 'SPLMeter'.. but to no noticeable avail.
    Still running Uber.. so very interested to hear if standard kernel alters anything for you.

Incidentally, I have a 2nd Pre3 device with all of the above + more, Doctored & installed, within the last 6 months - and no sign as yet of Mic failure.
    How long have you had yours active?

PS.
    I've never *not* had a Modem Error #20 on Tests actually - even on the fully functional device.. maybe an AT&T bloat intrusion-factor, still 'dormant' somewhere?
    Anyone know what #20 actually is?

I suspect all Pre3's came NIB without 2.2.4 already installed?

Euro phone - NOT ATT
    I activated this phone due to mystery battery drain on the Pre2 perhaps a year or so ago now. Maybe it's time to fully investigate that error to restore it.
    I hope it's not UberKernel as it fixed the TMC error - I once got it with NO cards open
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Euro phone - NOT ATT
    I activated this phone due to mystery battery drain on the Pre2 perhaps a year or so ago now. Maybe it's time to fully investigate that error to restore it.
    I hope it's not UberKernel as it fixed the TMC error - I once got it with NO cards open
    Of course - you are in the EU-zone.. I settled for a US model to suit Aus GSM standards.

I was wondering whether the Mic glitch occurs only after a certain total 'power-on' time.

I have just reinstalled the standard kernel and the only apparent difference so far is that it gives 'Modem Error #1000' (as opposed to #20 given with Uberkernel installed).

The plot thickens.. let us know how you go.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast