webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Microphone stops working
Microphone stops working

Old 06/14/2012, 12:05 PM   #41 (permalink)

Ach, even more messy....

that way it should have been as new, so what I wrote is pointless.

Overclocking would have slightly stressed some components, but not the microphone, directly. Do you remember if you had higher temperatures on average ?
(and by logic pushing a bit more the output sound should not have sent more current to the input, too... this at least if logic applies. I wonder if the others used TouchVol .. or uberkernel ).

If you use the headphones set supplied with the pre3 (they include a mic), does that microphone work ?
If you use a bluetoot set, is the voice being delivered ?

As a side note, in a way this reminds me what happened to the mb of the pc i'm now using when the chipset fan failed. By the time I realized it, the temperature managed to cause some fortunately just strange damages : ALL the audio ports on the mb got swapped randomly, including the mic... with this I wonder if a rise in temperature little by little cooked something
mazzinia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2012, 12:19 PM   #42 (permalink)

Happens to me too, but I dont know how to duplicate the issue except that I believe the phone was using a high level of memory perhaps with too many open apps or apps that use a high level of resources. I was not using a headset at all. A reboot solves the problem every time.

Vent Mounted Touchstone for Pre3 DIY!
vasekvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/2012, 11:30 AM   #43 (permalink)

I don't know if this is precisely the same problem but I've had something similar happening on my Pre3.

In the thread I created here: Pre3 phone function - people can't hear me but I hear them one of the guys suggested that I change the network setting from 3G/Auto to 2G. So far this has worked, though I've added a modeswitcher function to change up to 3G when certain apps are in focus. I'm not sure yet if it's the solution, but fingers crossed it's working so far.
DaveyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/2012, 11:42 AM   #44 (permalink)

Mic on the P3 as well as mic on any wired headset do not work. Tested both in call, as well as by using the video recorder.

Bluetooth DOES work.

Wonder if there is some input amplifier that physical mics use that is damaged, whereas bluetooth would use a different (all digital) input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
Ach, even more messy....

that way it should have been as new, so what I wrote is pointless.

Overclocking would have slightly stressed some components, but not the microphone, directly. Do you remember if you had higher temperatures on average ?
(and by logic pushing a bit more the output sound should not have sent more current to the input, too... this at least if logic applies. I wonder if the others used TouchVol .. or uberkernel ).

If you use the headphones set supplied with the pre3 (they include a mic), does that microphone work ?
If you use a bluetoot set, is the voice being delivered ?

As a side note, in a way this reminds me what happened to the mb of the pc i'm now using when the chipset fan failed. By the time I realized it, the temperature managed to cause some fortunately just strange damages : ALL the audio ports on the mb got swapped randomly, including the mic... with this I wonder if a rise in temperature little by little cooked something
Old 06/15/2012, 05:19 PM   #45 (permalink)

Just got this after I installed touchvol.. Nice little patch, but maybe causing this mic issue?

Installed luna patch as well as saved custom presets..
djind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2013, 08:29 PM   #46 (permalink)

I have the same problem on the Pre3 and the Veer. Have no patches installed, so I think it is a hard ware issue. Will try out some of the ideas posted in the forum here but overall I'm also very sad about the microphone failure.
NightfishQD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2013, 09:00 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfish View Post
I have the same problem on the Pre3 and the Veer. Have no patches installed, so I think it is a hard ware issue. Will try out some of the ideas posted in the forum here but overall I'm also very sad about the microphone failure.
Let me know if you figure anything out! I still have two Pre 3's with broken mics.

Thanks!
Old 07/18/2013, 12:52 PM   #48 (permalink)

This just started for me this week. A reboot gets me about 10 seconds of mic pickup, and then nothing. I'm using Uberkernel 38, with the OnDemandTcl 1805 profile, which hasn;t caused me any grief thusfar (been using it for a few months).

The phone itself is relatively new (just got it around February, when I had to rpelace the screen on my PrePlus, and the one I got for the replacement was defective; at that point, I found a good deal on a brand new, sealed box, AT&T Pre3, and switched).

Not running TouchVol, and this is definitely not limited to the phone app, as voice memos are also "blank" and the interactive test fails.

Anyone with any news on this?

TIA
LewisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/01/2013, 04:18 PM   #49 (permalink)

Thought I had this fixed, but no dice. Now, it appears to be possibly related to the slider, as sliding in and out a few times gives me some (broken) seconds of recording (all the way out or all the way in does not work, however). Anyone else able to confirm a change when using the slider?

TIA
LewisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2014, 10:08 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc-Treo View Post
Yikes! I just started to have this problem, starting two days ago Microphone mostly does not work either normally or with a wired headset. So, this is not the old Pre earphone jack issue.

It does work with bluetooth.

Resets do not fix. Even a trip to the doctor.

The problem seems to be intermittent, however, over 90% of the time the mic does not work in call or while recording.
Has anyone ever come up with a solution for this? I'm stuck with this problem the last few days and sometimes the reboot works and sometimes it doesn't. My only solution is using bluetooth on my Pre 3.

I'm still struggling with this. Does anyone have any additional thoughts on the problem? Much thanks.

bill
deibski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2014, 03:28 AM   #51 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

i have one pre3 that is silent mic, and one pre3 that is transmitting nothing but screeching sounds. didn't even think to try the video recorder. hmm.

The silent one is also silent in video recording, and in the interactive test.
The screeching one is currently trying to be doctored, but it keeps rebooting unexpectedly. ... and now i have a US Pre3 that has come up with language options for English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, and Japanese? Chinese? .. weird. Looks like it thinks it's an emulator, must've missed the device customization, oops. Wonder if that might have something to do with it.

Anyway, screeching one works fine in the interactive test, and in the video camera.

Screeching one during auto tests gives error code 25 on Wi-Fi and 20 on Modem, silent one gives error code 1000 on modem, but it doesn't have a SIM installed so that's probably the problem there.

Screeching one also screeches with wired headset, and silent one is also silent in wired headset. I'll see if tomorrow I can run them on my car bluetooth to see what happens there. I suspect that screecher will probably also screech, that seems to be either an audio encoding problem or a modem problem.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:

Last edited by eblade; 03/23/2014 at 05:09 AM.
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2014, 03:12 AM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
i have one pre3 that is silent mic, and one pre3 that is transmitting nothing but screeching sounds. didn't even think to try the video recorder. hmm.

The silent one is also silent in video recording, and in the interactive test.
The screeching one is currently trying to be doctored, but it keeps rebooting unexpectedly. ... and now i have a US Pre3 that has come up with language options for English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, and Japanese? Chinese? .. weird. Looks like it thinks it's an emulator, must've missed the device customization, oops. Wonder if that might have something to do with it.

Anyway, screeching one works fine in the interactive test, and in the video camera.

Screeching one during auto tests gives error code 25 on Wi-Fi and 20 on Modem, silent one gives error code 1000 on modem, but it doesn't have a SIM installed so that's probably the problem there.

Screeching one also screeches with wired headset, and silent one is also silent in wired headset. I'll see if tomorrow I can run them on my car bluetooth to see what happens there. I suspect that screecher will probably also screech, that seems to be either an audio encoding problem or a modem problem.
Did you ever get to the bottom of your problem? One thing I think most of us can do with the phone is get it to work with Bluetooth. Mine never stopped working with BT, but otherwise I have no internal or headphone mic. support. BTW, I love SynerGV 1.
Old 05/03/2014, 02:21 PM   #53 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I completely got wrapped up in other things and never checked them with the car bluetooth .. pain in the *** to re-pair a Prius to several different devices. oh well. I gotta dig up an earpiece sometime. In any case, I don't really find the phones to be useful if they have to be connected to Bluetooth to work.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 05/03/2014, 06:05 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
I completely got wrapped up in other things and never checked them with the car bluetooth .. pain in the *** to re-pair a Prius to several different devices. oh well. I gotta dig up an earpiece sometime. In any case, I don't really find the phones to be useful if they have to be connected to Bluetooth to work.
i'm very much in agreement with you about the BT. who wants to have a BT headset with them all the time to answer the phone. whatever the bug is (h/w or s/w or combo), it is manifesting itself in similar ways on the pre 3....so many of these devices have failed. i have a brand new backup pre 3 i'm going to have to break out and use if i there is no solution. it's a bizarre problem tho.
Old 05/03/2014, 07:47 PM   #55 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I suspect that there is a hardware failure possibly some connections getting melted after significant use.. One of mine was new though. The other was 6 months of heavy use.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 05/03/2014, 07:48 PM   #56 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I think it may be a good thing in the long run that this phone never was officially released in most of the world. The q.c. is definitely not there

Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 05/07/2014, 01:12 AM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
I think it may be a good thing in the long run that this phone never was officially released in most of the world. The q.c. is definitely not there

Mine got a little bit on the hot side on the Touchstone. I stopped using the Touchstone for the most part, but I think I may have done the damage early on. I still have a brand new Pre 3 and I guess I'll break it out. I'm not looking forward to reinstalling patches and the apps, that's for sure. It's really sad that this device had these hardware design issues if it's truly a hardware problem.
Old 05/07/2014, 05:07 AM   #58 (permalink)

Dunno,

personally I think it's something sw related.

I have mine since the german firesale ( so it's what ? 2 years now, or more ? ), it's always on, rebooted maybe 4 to 5 times overall, always charged from a touchstone.

Stock kernel, just a selection of patches... and it didn't cause me to have to doctor, nor is getting hotter, or audio issues.

So, I personally see 2 options

1) a manufactured batch suffering from a defect, being a component or a solder joint
2) a software issue

Are the Pre 3 suffering from the mic problem :

US models ?
EU models ?
Stock kernel ? Uberkernel ? alpha/beta feed ?
Patches ?
Old 05/08/2014, 02:04 AM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
Dunno,

personally I think it's something sw related.

I have mine since the german firesale ( so it's what ? 2 years now, or more ? ), it's always on, rebooted maybe 4 to 5 times overall, always charged from a touchstone.

Stock kernel, just a selection of patches... and it didn't cause me to have to doctor, nor is getting hotter, or audio issues.

So, I personally see 2 options

1) a manufactured batch suffering from a defect, being a component or a solder joint
2) a software issue

Are the Pre 3 suffering from the mic problem :

US models ?
EU models ?
Stock kernel ? Uberkernel ? alpha/beta feed ?
Patches ?

I guarantee you mine is hardware related. I changed the ssd board with a stocker that works perfedtly on one motherboard. Dead mike on the other. Also the ssd from the one with the bad mic put into the good phone works as well so that eliminates any possibility of the software causing my problem. Its on my motherboard. I even swapped the motherboard into another phone using all other components from the known good phone. Same no mike problem.

The one I have with bad mic is an AT&T pre3.
creepingmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2014, 04:17 AM   #60 (permalink)

ach

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0