Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    I don't understand why there are so many reviews of the Palm products that say "Oh, 128mb of RAM is more than enough. We can run 30 apps and never had an issue.", or "500mb is just overkill. Nobody can ever use that much."

My Pre- and my Pre3 still suffer from the Too Many Cards issue when no apps are running at all. The most I've EVER been able to run is 5. For me, RAM is the #1 most important issue with all phones. I can't wait until there's 4GB in there.

I've noticed that running 1 website with Flash maxes out my RAM instantly. I can only run just 1 card with a Flash website and that's it.

Is there something I'm missing? Is there some magical way to reduce the Pre 3's memory footprint? Running JsTop garbage collector doesn't help. Running UberKernel doesn't help.
    Bell Pre since August 27 2009
    HP Touchpad since July 1 2011
    Development/Design contribution to:
    With the stock 2.2.4 I get the same thing on my Pre3. I usually can get it to go away with various patches/kernal but I'm not sure of the combination so I don't know what the issue is. :/
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    Quote Originally Posted by globex View Post
    I've noticed that running 1 website with Flash maxes out my RAM instantly. I can only run just 1 card with a Flash website and that's it.
    Well considering Flash can crash web browsers on full blown towers, this is a bad example.

Pre3 memory management isn't as good as Pre2, and Veer seems slightly better then Pre3 too (could just be my imagination though). Pre2 is great with managing many cards, I would say reboot if you see TMC, I only get it every once in a while reboot and the phone is good to go for a few more days. If this doesn't help, I would suggest doctoring and seeing if a clean install helps.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    This happens to me only after watching videos. After I get off the web, any app selected gives me the TMC error. It takes a reboot to make it go away (clear the RAM?).

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Doing a Luna restart usually resolves the issue for me, but is there any way I can debug this guy to find out what is eating all my memory?
    Bell Pre since August 27 2009
    HP Touchpad since July 1 2011
    Development/Design contribution to:
    Do you have uberkernel installed? If not, try it out for a few days and see if the pesky TMC issue goes away.

Also jstop app isn't much use after webOS 2. Could try wterm app and run top to see which app/service is hogging up ram.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....