Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #1  
    I've contacted HP who had me contact Palm UK since the AT&T Pre 3 wasn't officially released here, Palm UK can't help since it's a USA Pre 3. I messed up the SIM slot in my Pre 3 by removing the SIM and now the pins are sticking up and no longer see my SIM card. I'm attaching a pic and hoping someone in the great webOS Nation community might be able to help me get in contact with a repair service. I'm willing to sacrifice my Veer if need be, lol. I miss my Pre 3 and have had to move back to an iPhone 4S

I have read some people have bent the pins back but I am scared I'll mess it up even further.

I've searched the internet, asked the folks in the HP webOS Beta Team Forums, and I've gotten no where. Any information would be so GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jimmie Geddes
    there is a pre 3 on ebay with a broken screen or sell yours for parts. People need your screen!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead777 View Post
    there is a pre 3 on ebay with a broken screen or sell yours for parts. People need your screen!
    Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I'm hoping to find someone that can repair my Pre 3, don't want to get rid of it if I don't have to.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I’ve found a company — but in Germany.

www.itsma.de
    webOS is simply fabulous
    ó
    TouchPadís Virtual Keyboard Layouts: http://forums.webosnation.com/member...d-layouts.html
    in isagar2004ís post: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...rrow-keys.html
  5.    #5  
    Thank you so much I will contact them now and let you know how it goes. PreCentral/webOS Nation members are the best!! Thanks again man!
    Jimmie Geddes
    Thank you so much I will contact them now and let you know how it goes. PreCentral/webOS Nation members are the best!! Thanks again man!
    No prob, my pleasure, and: You’re right! webOS community rules!

Update: Better send them the message to info@ — they didn’t receive mine via the contact form.
    webOS is simply fabulous
    ó
    TouchPadís Virtual Keyboard Layouts: http://forums.webosnation.com/member...d-layouts.html
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by gerzhwin View Post
    No prob, my pleasure, and: Youíre right! webOS community rules!

Update: Better send them the message to info@ — they didnít receive mine via the contact form.
    Can you give me the exact email address? I emailed info@itsma.de. Thanks again!
    Jimmie Geddes
    Can you give me the exact email address? I emailed [email]info@itsma.de. Thanks again!
    That should be correct. Good luck!
    webOS is simply fabulous
    ó
  9.    #9  
    Did they do a repair for you? If so what did you have repaired?
    Jimmie Geddes
  10.    #10  
    I keep getting the runaround from HP about them not supporting the Pre 3 since it was never officially released here, but on the Official HP Palm Blog they mention the software update to the AT&T, Verizon, and unlocked Pre 3.

The Official HP Palm Blog: An update on updates

"An update to webOS 2.2.4 was also recently made available for unlocked Pre 2 and AT&T, Verizon, and unlocked Pre 3 phones."

speaking with a supervisor @ HP currently about this.
    Jimmie Geddes
  11.    #11  
    Got my issue escalated after finally getting the supervisor to recognize that HP publicly states "AT&T, Verizon, and unlocked Pre 3 phones". HP does not state that these phones are not supported or covered under warranty and releasing a software update that could potentially brick the device requires HP to support the devices. I got my issue escalated and have to fax my proof of purchase, service request # the supervisor issued me, and within 24-48 hours after it is received I will be contacted.

I will gladly pay to get my Pre 3 repaired and was even told if it was a UK Pre 3 Palm UK would repair it. It's really ridiculous what customers have to go through to get a company to do the right thing. HP publicly stating on their blog that webOS 2.2.4 recently released for AT&T, Verizon, and unlocked Pre 3 phones definitely helped me. It came right from the horses mouth

I'll post an update once I hear back.
    Jimmie Geddes
    gerzhwin likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    Did they do a repair for you? If so what did you have repaired?
    Iím thinking about letting them replace my Veerís display, as it has some bad scratches on it (cared for it like my own eyeballs and then some bloke accidentally kicked it outa my hands on the asphalt Iím just waiting for their quotation Ö
  13.    #13  
    I received a voice mail on my iPhone 4S this morning from "Tony" from HP Corporate webOS support. Here's what he had to say:

"The Pre 3 is completely unsupported by HP and unfortunately no troubleshooting, hardware support or warranty is available on the Pre 3, it is completely unlocked, it is of your own discretion and HP does not take responsibility at this point on that device".

There are a few things in that voice mail that are contradictions that I'll follow up with. The Pre 3 isn't a completely unlocked device, didn't he read the Official HP Palm webOS blog that states AT&T, Verizon, and Unlocked Pre 3 OTA software update was recently released that was posted yesterday? Also, "HP does not take responsibility at this point on that device". At what point will they take responsibility? If you don't support a device don't say in the next sentence "at this point", it leads someone to believe HP may change its mind if it has to. I love HP they are the best at completely contradicting themselves and not having a clue about the products they sell. I'll be following up with "Tony" to explain it's not an unlocked device, he's partly right that there is an unlocked Pre 3, but as HP posted themselves yesterday there is also an AT&T and Verizon Pre 3.

I understand and went into purchasing the Pre 3 knowing it was never officially released. I am just asking to pay HP to fix the pins in the SIM slot. If Palm UK already does this (every HP rep I spoke to told me to contact Palm UK, which I did) I'm sure it can be done in the US and I will gladly pay to get it repaired and have always said that to any HP rep I have spoken to about the issue. I've even asked if they know a 3rd party I could contact to get it repaired. This isn't over. Stay tuned.
    Jimmie Geddes
    IIRC every Pre3 is unlocked (not sure if the VZW ones got unlock codes), I am guessing this is what he means. They were sold with unlock codes, at least all the ones I saw on EBAY were came with unlock codes.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    jscm3 likes this.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    IIRC every Pre3 is unlocked (not sure if the VZW ones got unlock codes), I am guessing this is what he means. They were sold with unlock codes, at least all the ones I saw on EBAY were came with unlock codes.
    My AT&T Pre 3 didn't come with an unlock code, and a T-Mobile SIM does not work in it. I'm sure I can unlock it if I used an unlocking service or code, but it is carrier locked to AT&T out of the box.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    My AT&T Pre 3 didn't come with an unlock code, and a T-Mobile SIM does not work in it. I'm sure I can unlock it if I used an unlocking service or code, but it is carrier locked to AT&T out of the box.
    Then your reseller didn't give you the unlock code.

No need to pay for a service.
    FREE UNLOCK CODE from ATT
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Hi all...

I certainly hope you succeed in geting your Pre 3 repaired but...

My only concern here is that your approach may result in HP ensuring that they never again release a webOS update for the Pre 3... if only to eliminate any possibility of anyone using this approach to get theirs repaired also.

I hope to God I am wrong.
    Hi, Can anyone offer advice on UK-Repair or other 3rd party repairmen?

My UK Pre 3 is stuck on the dreaded large white battery and question mark symbol. I've tried all the techniques I can find in the webOS forums and HP Support and elsewhere. Nothing works - I can't get into USB recovery mode so I can Doctor it.

As I'm in Australia, HP support decline to help although they did indicate the Pre 3 could only be fixed by them.

So I'm considering a third party repair firm, UK-Repair, who advertise on the web they can repair all Pre 3 problems. Their address follows

UK-Repair
    Office 36
    203-205 The Vale
    The Vale Business Centre
    London, W3 7QS
    UK

Thank you.
    Hey folks,

I haven't been around for a while but I used to work on the Pre plussing and 2ing service for Sprint users back in the day. I've had quiet the experience with the insides of Pre's (all the way up to the Pre 2's). While i haven't opened up a Pre 3 yet, I'm fully confident i can. However, I'm not so confident i can repair the phones. That sure doesn't mean i won't try. If anyone is willing to "donate" their Pre 3 to the cause (i.e. Send it to me to see if i can repair it) I'll gladly try. I won't charge anything if i can't fix it and ill ship it back to you at cost to me. If i can fix it, I'll let you know and we'll work on a price from there.

Just to clarify, I'm no licensed repair-person. Not with HP, nor anything else. I'm just an engineer who's had a hell of a lot of experience opening up phones. If anyone's interested please let me know and we can discuss it. We'll keep the conversation here so whatever is decided remains public.

I know there aren't a lot of Pre 3 users out there, and I'm honestly not in the business to make money. I just know what its like to have a rare, unsupported phone. I loved the webOS community back in the day, and while I'm not as active as i used to be, there were some awesome people here and I'm definitely still loyal.

Let me know what you all think!
    Me and others purchased our Pre3s or other devices from the man above! Great member of the community, not sure how many have spare phones floating around.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast