Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by whingj View Post
    Hi, Can anyone offer advice on UK-Repair or other 3rd party repairmen?

My UK Pre 3 is stuck on the dreaded large white battery and question mark symbol. I've tried all the techniques I can find in the webOS forums and HP Support and elsewhere. Nothing works - I can't get into USB recovery mode so I can Doctor it.

As I'm in Australia, HP support decline to help although they did indicate the Pre 3 could only be fixed by them.

So I'm considering a third party repair firm, UK-Repair, who advertise on the web they can repair all Pre 3 problems. Their address follows

UK-Repair
    Office 36
    203-205 The Vale
    The Vale Business Centre
    London, W3 7QS
    UK

Thank you.
    Well, I took the plunge and sent my Pre 3 off to UK-Repair yesterday 31-May-12 with Australia Post for $27AUD postage. UK-Repair quoted GBP69.95 to fix it. Let's see if they can do what they claim and how long it takes.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    keep us updated with this, need to get my sim contacts repaired as well on my pre 3, not willing to give up on it yet good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by whingj View Post
    Well, I took the plunge and sent my Pre 3 off to UK-Repair yesterday 31-May-12 with Australia Post for $27AUD postage. UK-Repair quoted GBP69.95 to fix it. Let's see if they can do what they claim and how long it takes.
    so how did that repair go? I'm having Mic issues and I'm hoping that you have had success. I have a at&t pre 3 and would hate to give up on this phone. There are no phones with a portrait keyboard and I'm willing to get this thing fixed. Keep us updated! Thanks!
    Well UK-Repair were no help at all.

And it will cost me 22.9 GBP to get my Pre 3 back . This includes 9.95 GBP for the minimum charge.

This is extremely disappointing since my original query, sent to UK-Repair before I sent them my Pre 3, indicated the problem was the "dreaded large white battery and question mark symbol". They seem to have ignored that information altogether because they quoted 69.95 GBP for repair. Now they say they can't which they should have known at the time of the original request.
    Hey whingj,

That's really sad to hear. If you are willing, you can pay for shipping (from Australia, I think that's where you said you were) to East Coast, US. I'll take a look at your phone. I can't guarantee a repair though. If I can fix it, you can pay for shipping it back. If I can't fix it, I'll pay for shipping it back.

I won't charge you anything for the procedure.

How does that sound?
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    received a voice mail from HP bla bla . . .
    "The Pre 3 is completely unsupported by HP and unfortunately no troubleshooting, hardware support or warranty is available on the Pre 3, it is completely unlocked, it is of your own discretion and HP does not take responsibility at this point on that device".
    This my friend, is full of **** because; I went to Media Markt (German Electronic Store) and I told them my problem with the Preł (Screen didn't turn on after a call.), they sent it to HP (I think to England?) and the guy told me that my Preł is arriving again in 10-14 Days. (Gave my Preł on Thursday last week.)
    Something is wrong with Tony . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Hey whingj,

That's really sad to hear. If you are willing, you can pay for shipping (from Australia, I think that's where you said you were) to East Coast, US. I'll take a look at your phone. I can't guarantee a repair though. If I can fix it, you can pay for shipping it back. If I can't fix it, I'll pay for shipping it back.

I won't charge you anything for the procedure.

How does that sound?
    Wow haven't seen you around in a while.

To anyone wondering, this guy knows what he is doing and has been a standup guy in the community. I bought my Pre3 from him and so did at least one other person I know of, plus many folks have had him do webOS work for them.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Wow haven't seen you around in a while.

To anyone wondering, this guy knows what he is doing and has been a standup guy in the community. I bought my Pre3 from him and so did at least one other person I know of, plus many folks have had him do webOS work for them.
    Hey!

Thanks for the compliments!

Yeah I've been fishing around, my desperate need for newer technology had me trying out Windows Phone, Android, etc (never iOS!).

However, I keep coming back to my Pre 3. After using a Dell Venue Pro (awesome phone, btw), I picked up my Pre 3 after a few weeks and WOW that phone feels SO good. The keyboard just feels so nice and the shape of the phone feels so natural and comfortable. It's really SUCH a huge shame that the phone was never released. I think if they actually released it, and then kept updating and improving webOS, the mobile landscape would be very different. Anyway, sorry that's off topic.

I want to help out with the Pres as much as I can. Especially the Pre 3. I have a lot of respect for people who held out on webOS and the Pre 3. I certainly couldn't. : /.

Anyway, I appreciate the good word. As I said, I'm more than willing to help out for people who want me to take a look at it.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Hey!

Yeah I've been fishing around, my desperate need for newer technology had me trying out Windows Phone, Android, etc (never iOS!).

However, I keep coming back to my Pre 3. After using a Dell Venue Pro (awesome phone, btw), I picked up my Pre 3 after a few weeks and WOW that phone feels SO good. The keyboard just feels so nice and the shape of the phone feels so natural and comfortable. It's really SUCH a huge shame that the phone was never released. I think if they actually released it, and then kept updating and improving webOS, the mobile landscape would be very different. Anyway, sorry that's off topic.

I want to help out with the Pres as much as I can. Especially the Pre 3. I have a lot of respect for people who held out on webOS and the Pre 3. I certainly couldn't. : /.

Anyway, I appreciate the good word. As I said, I'm more than willing to help out for people who want me to take a look at it.
    Awesome, good things to have you back around. I still haven't found anything that can get me away... WP was intriguing, but no way I would invest in a device now with the WP8 news.

I will keep you in mind when I come across anyone with issues on a webOS device.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Hey!

I would love to get my pre 3 running again. I am having issue with severed cables on the lcd. Is this something you think you could fix?
    Quote Originally Posted by tyh2o View Post
    I would love to get my pre 3 running again. I am having issue with severed cables on the lcd. Is this something you think you could fix?
    Hey tyh2o,

If its the actual cable connecting two boards together then without having a replacement part, I'm really sorry but I can't help. If its not a ribbon cable but a bundle of wires, then that's repairable. Is it this component?

Pre 3 #19 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Fyi: there is also a very experimental and untested method of ribbon cable repair I could try.

Could you take a picture of the severed cable?

I can give you a percentage reliability of finding a fix after looking at an image.
    Those would be the wires. So you think they are repairable? Those wires send the signals for the touch screen , front speaker , and i think the volume controls. i am not at home but i will get a picture of the cables as soon as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyh2o View Post
    Those would be the wires. So you think they are repairable? Those wires send the signals for the touch screen , front speaker , and i think the volume controls. i am not at home but i will get a picture of the cables as soon as possible.

If that's the wire that's severed (how many of them?) Then its not necessary to send a picture. I'm about 85% sure I can get those repaired. You can email me so we can discuss further details: sirataxero@Gmail.com.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Sirata, are you on twitter? If so message me your handle if you dont want to post publicly, would like to refer you to a friend that may at some point want some help.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Sirata, are you on twitter? If so message me your handle if you dont want to post publicly, would like to refer you to a friend that may at some point want some help.
    Hey OldSkool,

I've avoided Twitter like the plague. Your friend can gchat/email me or PM me here. Either way works. Emails get quicker response (usually).
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Hey OldSkool,

I've avoided Twitter like the plague. Your friend can gchat/email me or PM me here. Either way works. Emails get quicker response (usually).
    thanks ill let him know.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12