Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Found a local buyer for my Pre3, however i'm having second thoughts. I bought it purely for sentimental value and as a secondary 'play' phone (iPhone remains my primary device). Due to the situation with webOS i have rarely used it and it mostly sits in its box looking pretty.

webOS rarely gets updates (despite needing them), even more so now with latest developments, and devs (outside of Homebrew) have also abandoned the platform. In addition, the hardware has very limited support (you can't even get an extra battery!) and has also been effectively abandoned.

Bottom line it simply will never be a device i use seriously...or even playfully (I need support). Therefore i should sell it to someone who will...is my rational. However i feel like i'm letting go of a little rare gem. I plan to replace it with something from Android e.g. Nexus S. webOS may have the better UI but there's no denying the support on Android. XDA and Google have you covered essentially.

What do you guys think? Mistake or Fair Argument?
    Global Posts
    4,378 Global Posts
    I wouldn't sell it. Like you, I also got a Pre3 for nostalgic value being the phone geek that I am. We more than likely will never see a WebOS phone so I would hang on to it if I I were you. I have my Pre3 as a back up phone and my HTC Titan is my daily driver.
    HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    HP Touchpad
    Yes. Lol

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    my pre3 has very few qwirks and it is my daily work horse... What does your iphone do that the pre3 can't? Beyond apps webOS is bounds better than ios and droid.

also there are HP batteries on ebay and mugen makes spares.

If you don't use the thing then sell it, if you like collecting phones and don't need the money from selling, then keep it for fun.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Hmmm. I dunno...
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kanaka View Post
    webOS rarely gets updates (despite needing them), even more so now with latest developments, and devs (outside of Homebrew) have also abandoned the platform. In addition, the hardware has very limited support (you can't even get an extra battery!) and has also been effectively abandoned.
    Of course, whether you sell it or not is up to you. I personally use mine as my primary/only phone, and I have no intention of changing that in the near future. I think that between HP, webOS Internals, and all the other good folks in this community, there's enough "insurance" on the software side. I bought an extra Pre 3 as "insurance" on the hardware side.

The future of webOS is uncertain (when has it not been! ), but I want to respectfully take issue with a couple of things you said. I've had my Pre 3 activated for a bit over two months now and we've had two OS updates (admittedly minor, but...) in those two months. Is one update per month "rare"? I've also seen many app catalog updates, so while some number of devs no doubt have abandoned us, many have not. Look, for example, at both Picsel and Astraware. Lastly, you can get an extra battery. Yes, off of eBay, but now also new ones from Mugen. I'm expecting mine any day now. Others have already posted on here about receiving theirs.

If you don't really want the Pre 3, sell it -- you should get some decent money for it. If you really like having it though, and can afford to do so, keep it! I don't think the situation is as bleak as you put it, nor is the end as near. Again, admittedly webOS has an uncertain future (it's beginning to seem like uncertainty is part of its basic code!) -- but it's not dead yet. In fact, I'd say it's fully functional right now...and there appear to be real possibilities for its survival.
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Fair point.
    If you don't use it - sell it.

What's the point of having it lying around and gathering dust?

IMHO it's a great phone and I wouldn't exchange it for any other phone - but tastes differ.

It could use updates but doesn't *need* them. And it will get updates after webos is opensourced (this will take many months though). Meanwhile it's somewhat likely that HP will occasionally push a small bugfix update like the recent 2.2.4. They still employ some of the devs after all and I think they want to keep their options open.

And homebrew devs have always updated webos by patching.

But again - if you prefer your Iphone - get back your money now and put the Pre3 into the hand of somebody who wants it.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    well I got 3 batteries , don't think there is much missing for me , plenty of patches to make it custom. I'm happy and I'm good for a couple of years , then I'll break out the spare pre 3 . I dread trying another is. Tried androids . Please they don't come close. But its up yo the individual. Not for you move on.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Yes! Yes, you are!
    I bought two Pre3s. One for use and one as a spare and a spare battery charger. There have been 3 updates so far, pretty good for an unsupported device. The only two things that I need for my use to make it perfect is navigation (making do with Navit which works very well actually, but I may buy US maps for NDrive Beta 6 which seems to run very well, installed using Tuckerbox. And if a Google Latitude app ever gets made I'll be set!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    Yes! Navigation- I miss sprint nav honestly :-P wish I could get the sprint nav ipk somewhere....hurmmm...somewhere

"Maps" works fine for me and the GPS is WAY better than stupid verizon crippled pre2's GPS it just does not talk

Nav is the only thing I admit is lacking- I have not tried ndrive.

I forget about bad navi options bc my wife has a droid charge and she is my navigator
    if not for my long relationship with sprint I would make you an offer
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    I too bought a Pre 3 because I really wanted another webOS phone. However, because I'm on Sprint, my phone is the Epic Touch 4G. I'm thinking about trying out ATT for a month or so, if not to just get the phone activated to use as a wifi device. So I wouldn't sell it. :-)
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I bought one... sold it, regretted the hell out of it and then ended up buying another. As another poster said - honestly, what can iOS do that WebOS doesn't do better, other than provide you with thousands of apps that most folks don't need anyway? Facebook, Twitter... all the core apps are there, and the Pre3 sports an elegance you won't find on any other device.

To each his own, but WebOS simply rocks. Plus, everybody's got an iPhone. Not everybody has one of these little gems...
    -= Gihmley =-

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Sell it. You don't use it. Someone else might. You're already thinking if selling it, pull the trigger.
    Sell. You're enjoying your iPhone.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I agree with the others, there are other smartphone users that will use the device as a daily driver and not let it collect dust, why waste its potential when you could sell it to somebody who's use it? I love the Pre, but if you prefer the iPhone for whatever reason, sell the Pre. To each their own!

Besides, if for some reason you DO regret it, there's always eBay!
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I am in the opposite place. iPhone sits in a box. Battery life can not handle my daily volume of calls, email and calendar issues. WebOs allows email, calendar, texting all to be open and can go all day (3 email accounts). I get the NYT content on the webos device for free which needs to be paid for on the iPhone. Much less trouble on Google gmail integration with the webos device. So.....will sell the iPhone.
    Global Posts
    1,528 Global Posts
    I would keep the Pre 3, if only for it's rarity. But then again, I keep all my old phones.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast