Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ehosey2 View Post
    ^To Crakeur,
    It is the problem. Mugen specifically stated the high capacity battery with new door is NOT compatible with the touchstone.
    I figured as much and, since the touch to share thing is a novelty more than a necessity, I'm happy with the new battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    It's been a month now, since I ordered the battery and I still have not received it. Each time I contact Mugen, their response is always the same, "you should be receiving the battery 'this' week".
    Same here, at the start of January I got the indication that mine has been shipped. So I set myself a reminder: "If I haven't received it by end of Jan, contact Mugen and find out where it is." Guess what. I got the battery yesterday (1 Feb).

They are shipping from Hong Kong via regular mail. The parcel just takes its time. Then it has to clear customs. I think they are telling the truth - this is your excercise in patience...

Max
    Dear all,
    Just received the Mugen Battery yesterday, when I tried to charge it on my Pre3, it didn't charge, only battery icon with question mark in it showed up about 3 seconds than the screen gone blank..

anybody experience this? should I ask Mugen to replace it? if they agree, and requested to sent the defect battery back to them, who will burden the shipment fee?? us or Mugen?

Please advise..
    Quote Originally Posted by clouds_9 View Post
    Dear all,
    Just received the Mugen Battery yesterday, when I tried to charge it on my Pre3, it didn't charge, only battery icon with question mark in it showed up about 3 seconds than the screen gone blank..

anybody experience this? should I ask Mugen to replace it? if they agree, and requested to sent the defect battery back to them, who will burden the shipment fee?? us or Mugen?

Please advise..
    Try leaving it on the charger for a prolonged period. Maybe it's fully flat.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Try leaving it on the charger for a prolonged period. Maybe it's fully flat.
    Sir JohnCC,
    already tried that also, leave the phone for charging about 1 hour but nothing happens..only the battery icon with question mark inside it appeared about 3 second, than vanished..

looks like nobody experience this ya?
    should I contact mugen for replacement?
    Quote Originally Posted by clouds_9 View Post
    Sir JohnCC,
    already tried that also, leave the phone for charging about 1 hour but nothing happens..only the battery icon with question mark inside it appeared about 3 second, than vanished..

looks like nobody experience this ya?
    should I contact mugen for replacement?
    Yes, I would contact mugen for a replacement. Getting a bad battery has happened before.
    ~ I recently recieved a 'Mugen' higher capacity (1400mAh) battery for the Pre3 and found a strange problem, part of which I initially thought was down to loose battery connectors.

I have cycled and correctly charged the battery over a week. It holds full charge.

With this battery fitted however, the phone is very reluctant to boot from total device shut down.. even with looong presses on the power button - nothing!

The only way to boot with the 'Mugen' battery fitted, is by placing the phone on a Touchstone or inserting it's powered micro USB cable, iether from a charger or powered USB PC port etc.
    Then, and only then, the phone first dsiplays the white battery + '?' mark ('no batt' symbol) for about 10 seconds - and then boots!

Once 'awake' however, the phone with the 'Mugen' battery fitted, then continues to sleep/awaken with a single short press on the power button - NO probelem - every time!
    It also appears to charge properly - no problem!
    It is only after a total device shut down that it refuses to power on again.

When I refit the standard 1250mAh (HP) battery back in, it always boots from total shutdown after a maximum 10-12 second hold of the power-on button, without fail!

I then tweaked the Mugen battery connectors with a pin point, to bring them slightly colser together so that their 'grip' on the phone power pins was increased and assured - but the same problem still occurs!

I then convinced 'Mugen' that their battery was 'faulty' and they have agreed to replace it, no worries.
    (They do offer excellent an service, or so it seems).

In the interim I then also tried the GF's brand new Pre3 'Mugen' battery in my own phone - same problem!
    (She hasn't let me try it in 'her' phone yet as a more full 'control-experiment' !)

But, I am forced to now strongly suspect that the Pre3 power management and 'boot' parameters are being confused by the higher (mAh) capacity (not voltage!) of the Mugen battery, over the standard battery?

Is this possible? Do 'we' know enough about the power management chips to ourselves know exactly what they 'read' anyway?
    Is there a chip IN the battery?
    Is it my phone at fault?

I reverted to standard 'Palm' kernel, from Uberkernel - same problem.
    I uninstalled 'Dr Battery' etc - same problem.
    All I have not yet been willing to do is 'Doctor' the entire phone in order to then make a 'comparison'!

Anyone else who's got a 1400mAh 'Mugen' spotted similar behaviour under any circumstances at all, please?

Indeed, so far, a big "?"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 05/02/2013 at 04:50 PM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I get the "?" icon everytime when my battery runs out and when I tried to recharge it, the "?" icon usually disappears within 10 seconds.

However, I have had my fair share of problems with the mugen battery...

Dr Battery displays its capacity as 1550, however the battery drains qutie fast, even compared with my 1+ year old stock battery. It also tends to shut down itself at around 15-25% so I think there's a problem with calibration...

I told mugen about my problems and that I followed their instructions exactly. They have agreed to replace my product so from customer service point of view they can't be faulted really.

Just hope I won't get the same problems on the new battery...
    I have mine in the pre3 since September 2010 on daily use and never had this problem.
    What I do have sometimes (max once a month):
    Try to wake the phone at approx 20% battery -> no reaction -> after e.g. 30 seconds -> wakeup -> battery empty warning -> shutdown.
    Seems not to be a calibration problem because all other times it runs smoothly below 10%.
    I never saw the "?" on my Pre3 but on my Veer.
    Battery health is still at 90%. Not bad for such usage.
    Yes.. that "?" mark runs for about 10 secs after plugging into charge - same!

Thanks Somline - I shall next try the new Mgen in the other Pre3 and that should tell me whether it is my phone or the battery (or both!) that is giving this glitch.
    So to your knowledge the total *capacity* of the battery is not a part of the pre-boot check? Whereas voltage and present charge level are?

Last edited by Mutoidi; 05/03/2013 at 11:29 PM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Yes.. that "?" mark runs for about 10 secs after plugging into charge - same!

Thanks Somline - I shall next try the new Mgen in the other Pre3 and that shoulsd tell me whether it is my phone or the battery (or both!) that is giving this glitch.
    So to your knowledge the total *capacity* of the battery is not a part of the pre-boot check? Whereas voltage and present charge level are?

I know nothing about the boot process and the A6 chip involved in communicating to the battery.
    What I believe is that the "?" means that there is a communication problem with the battery.
    The system (A6?) is unable to talk to the battery.
    If the battery is empty while booting (switching on) you get that "connect charger" symbol.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    I know nothing about the boot process and the A6 chip involved in communicating to the battery.
    What I believe is that the "?" means that there is a communication problem with the battery.
    The system (A6?) is unable to talk to the battery.
    If the battery is empty while booting (switching on) you get that "connect charger" symbol.
    OK.. this is why what I am witnessing is strange.
    The Mugen is/can be fully charged and still the Pre3 gives "?" at boot.. in fact it won't boot until I give it external power.. this triggers "?" and then it boots OK.
    If I then fit the (also fully charged) HP original, there is no "?" and a clear boot.
    That is why I wondered if the A6 is having a problem with anything above 1250mAh capacity?
    Once the Mugen Pre3 is booted however, it sleeps and awakes normally with no 'question'!

"?".
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 05/03/2013 at 11:47 PM.

13. g7
    I have the same problem! Also got it recently (last month) and Dr. Battery says it's rated at 1556 mAh.
    Maybe is this battery batch faulty?

Eugenio
    Developer of Italian Fiscal Codes - Codici Fiscali | webOS Quick Actions

Comfortably numb since 1996.

Frankenpre³ EU 16 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by g7 View Post
    I have the same problem! Also got it recently (last month) and Dr. Battery says it's rated at 1556 mAh.
    Maybe is this battery batch faulty?

Eugenio
    Yes.. Dr Battery rates our two Mugen 1400mAh units 'health' the same.
    Have you got any Preware patches installed in your phone?

I have since also now tested the 2nd Mugen battery in both phones and it exhibits exactly the same behaviour,
    ie. no boot from device Shut-down or battery pull, until external power applied (even PC USB output power) which then triggers "?" review and then finally successful boot.

'Somline' do you know please - Is there any additional circuitry IN these batteries that communicates with the Pre3 and that could be at fault?

There are x 5 pins/connectors:

1). '-'
    5). '+'

What do the other 3 do?
    Could there be a fault with one of these other terminals in this batch of Mugens?
    Could this result in the Pre3's power management firmware not recognising the Mugen battery from full shut down/re-boot?

Mugen are kindly supplying a replacement however.. I will check that too and report back on IT'S behaviour!

"?"

Last edited by Mutoidi; 05/10/2013 at 04:23 AM.

'Somline' do you know please - Is there any additional circuitry IN these batteries that communicates with the Pre3 and that could be at fault?

There are x 5 pins/connectors:

1). '-'
    5). '+'

What do the other 3 do?
    Could there be a fault with one of these other terminals in this batch of Mugens?
    Could this result in the Pre3's power management firmware not recognising the Mugen battery from full shut down/re-boot?

Mugen are kindly supplying a replacement however.. I will check that too and report back on IT'S behaviour!
    Yes there is a "Battery Fuel Gauge" chip inside the battery. Usually a battery has 3 contacts. "+", "-" and a "one wire" interface to the chip. Don't know about the 5 on the pre3.
    I don't think it's a fault of one of the other terminals.
    As said: could be the A6 chip/firmware or the battery.
    We'll se when the new one arrives.
  16. g7
    Yes.. Dr Battery rates our two Mugen 1400mAh units 'health' the same.
    Have you got any Preware patches installed in your phone?
    Yes, I have. And they are too many to be listed But they shouldn't be related to this problem. I guess it's a battery fault, as others do not have this problem. We got the wrong batch it seems

Eugenio

Frankenpre³ EU 16 GB
    Yes, I have. And they are too many to be listed But they shouldn't be related to this problem. I guess it's a battery fault, as others do not have this problem. We got the wrong batch it seems

Eugenio

So have I.. that's why I asked!

I'll suggest this to Mugen then.. if you want to do the same, they might then act on it, if they have not already.
    I'll see what the replacement does anyway.

Thanks!

UPDATE:

Replacement Mugen now arrived and dsplaying identical (naughty) behavoiur to the previous Mugen units!

No boot from Device Shut Down.

Surely this doesn't mean carrying an external power source around with one's 'mobile' phone in order to boot it???

Weird!

19. g7
    :/ I already asked for replacement and I'm going to post the "faulty" battery in the coming days.

I'm continuning to think that the latest batch was different respect at the ones before (read: 1556 mAh rating instead of the 1460 one).

Last time I needed to boot up my pre3 (which I shut down to temporairly take out the SIM) using an USB On the Go cable and my backup phone (a nokia n900). It was both irritating and funny

I even reflashed the A6, and no dice.

Eugenio

Frankenpre³ EU 16 GB
    :/ I already asked for replacement and I'm going to post the "faulty" battery in the coming days.

I'm continuning to think that the latest batch was different respect at the ones before (read: 1556 mAh rating instead of the 1460 one).

Last time I needed to boot up my pre3 (which I shut down to temporairly take out the SIM) using an USB On the Go cable and my backup phone (a nokia n900). It was both irritating and funny

I even reflashed the A6, and no dice.

Eugenio

OK.. Yes, it might be the batteries at 'fault'.. and I still get the 1556mAh 'health' reading from Dr. Battery..

BUT.. I am trying something.
    I deliberately ignored the Mugen instructions on 'conditioning' the new battery and let it run completely and utterly flat on the first discharge/charge cycle.

I also ignored the phone's warnings, until it just went totally dead!

This then required external charge/power input to re-boot as expected, but I did notice that the initial "?" time (before 'red-line-in-battery' re-charging), was decreased from the 'normal' 10 seconds or so "?" time, with these new 'issue' Mugen batteries.

So at 25% recharge, I tried taking the phone off charge and manually shutting it down completely.. and then trying a manual restart on it.
    This time it booted normally!
    I tried this with success three times consecutively @ 25% and again three times consecutively at 50%.
    I will try at 75% and 100% also.

So, just perhaps, first totally discharging this '1556mAh' Mugen, then causes/allows a 'reset' that suits it and/or the Pre3 A6 frimware etc to in turn then read, behave and reboot 'as normal'?

I will keep playing and report back anyway!

EDIT: Later - yes, now still reboots OK at 75% & 100% recharge levels also.
    Will try giving the other (first) Mugen '1556mAh' unit the same 'full discharge' treatment too and see what occurs..

EDIT #2: Even later: Yes.. confirm this works for both Mugen units I have: ie. discharging to 0% in the phone and then recharging in phone so far appears to allow subsequent booting with the same battery from device shut-down, with NO "?"Question"?".
    Seems to be about 15-20 seconds 'power-on' before HP Logo etc. .

Why? I don't know exactly.. maybe 'Somline' can shed some firmware-mAh-light on it!

'Eugenio' - if you are willing to repeat this experiment with your Mugen, please let us know the results!

Thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 05/18/2013 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Silly, but relevant updates! :)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast